What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

day off from paid work...now to the 'unpaid' labor of laundry (Please tell me heaven has no need of washing machines, Lord, and I promise I'll start living a saintly life!!), yardening (not fun kind), and decluttering our bedroom. We're still in the middle of renovations and repair in our bathroom, so it's hard to really organize in there. I'm just tired of getting up at night and tripping over towel racks and hampers that are moved out of the bath. A friend is doing the repairs and has been working on his 'off' hours, so this is s-l-o-w but cheap.

I'm pushing around the idea of a haircut, but I never see pictures of hair and face shapes like mine before I visit the parlor, so I have no clue what to tell my stylist of many years. My face is sort of egg shaped with the pointy end up, sadly. That never seems an option on the haircut websites. Hair is curly wavy. I'm over 50. This is not an exciting stage of life for these decisions. Probably just the usual curly bob cut I get in summer. I just hate to go very short, except it is cooler. *sigh* Anyway, I might drive over there and see what she comes up with.

The last day of high school here is May 20 and graduation is May 23 at 2:00. I hate sitting through graduation ceremonies especially this one because all the ex-wife and her sisters and mother will be there. We are holding the graduation party (cook out) at our house so I have to make sure that house is totally spotless. Next weekend we are shampooing carpets.

I should get an award for sainthood with putting up with the ex and all the ex-in-laws. However, I have already warned by neighbors that if it gets too much I will be at her house for drinks until everyone leaves. I absolutely cannot stand the ex-wife. I think her mothering skills lack something. She moved to Rhode Island with the 14 year old daughter in November of 2007 and hasn't seen the 18 year old daughter since then (she calls every now and then). She didn't send a birthday gift or christmas gift for her daughter the last 2 Christmas's. Sorry I am venting and I will get off my soapbox now but I know she will be fawning all over her daughter and I can assure her if not for her dad and I this kid wouldn't have gotten through high school with the grades she received.

Wish me luck and PATIENCE (wasn't born with any). LOL

Well here University finishes around the end of the first week of june, school finishes July 24th. School back first week of september, uni usually mid-end september. But they do get two weeks off around easter time, which i know you over there don't.

Finally the week is finished! Chris locked himself out so i had an excuse to leave just after 6 instead of waiting until everything was done for the night (often 6:30 normally, 6:45-7 on such busy days! But i did do some of the end of day stuff before i left, so hopefully they didn't have to stay too late)

Yay, it is the weekend! Will hopefully be chilling out and doing some fun mini-ing. There's a house clearance sale tomorrow that we might go to, but i'm just about certain they won't have any mini stuff :flowers:

Cleaning house and doing chores today. The exterminator is due Tuesday so I have to make everyone pick up all their junk. We have seen some roaches on the porch and I sure don't want to see them in the house! To the antique mall, haven't been there all month. They probably think I died or something!

I did get the stuff to build a tray for the puzzle house so I can do the landscaping around it, if I can get son to build it today.

Going to get some Mexican food for lunch and then head out to pick up some wine and special import beer for friend's graduation party tonight. Just to clarify, friend is in 40s and just received his Bachelor's degree while working full time so he wants a celebration and he deserves it!!!

The fence is finished! The guys were here by 8 am and finished by noon. It looks great and makes such a difference in the feeling of the yard. It's more like an extension of the house ... a really great room. Can't wait now for the landscape people to come smooth out the ruts and wrinkles so we can start planting.

We're off to an art & garden show in Arrow Rock this afternoon. It's a beautiful day here in Missouri ... 60s and sunny, great for walking around a fair.

I'm at a standstill until my DS gets the tray made for my puzzle house. I may start work on the furniture for it today. Still have to sweep floors, and put up all my paints and things I have left scattered all over the bedroom! DH's office is starting to look more like my room than his, with all the junk I've had to store in there.

It is a GORGEOUS day out there today. Sunny with a cool breeze. Perfect day to plant my new acquisitions. Yesterday I went to this annual plant sale that I always go to, no matter what! It was raining and I went.

They sell commercially grown garden plants but the members of the group also donate some of their plants for the sale at rock bottom prices.

I bought two quart size yellow primroses for $2 a piece (there are like 4 plants in each), 2 ornamental peppers for $1 each, and a white spires gayfeather. I have purple in the yard and now I have white. I think I can split it to get about 3 plants out of it.

So I think I will do some Mother`s Day planting and work on the Fling. So far everyone is still sleeping. But my kitchen is clean and there is bacon in the fridge. I think I am getting breakfast this morning!

Nat helped Fred clean the condo yesterday so I did not have to. Part of my gift for today. I was not in the mood. LOL

Well I think our landlord is going to have had enough of us soon! First the washing machine went, needing a ~$120 part replacement plus labour. Then the fuse box which required a sunday callout. Then the boiler broke and needed replacing (lots of $$$) and now the dish washer seems to have given up. And it gave up just after the start of the cycle, so there's lots of dirty water in the bottom and dirty dishes. I've checked the fuse box, all switches are fine, and tried changing the fuse in the plug but no success. The power is gone (or at least the lights are off). Sigh. The building (and the appliances) are about 7 years old, so guess it is probably time for them to stop working, but all of it while we're living here, they'll think we're doing something wrong, and we're not!

I'm building a stairs for the Franklin. I made a bay window last night, and today it is the stairs turn... but a bit frustrated trying to get everything square and glued (thats what happens when you want fancier stairs!)

Also been saving all my stuff onto external hard drive so that I can reboot my computer and install vista and windows 2007. It has finally all saved (the 2.5GB of pics and 5GB of music took a while :rofl: ) so i guess i better get going!

:hehe:

Muriel, it always seems that everything breaks down at the same time. But if he's a 'professional' landlord, he'll know that and know that they are worn out.

We went to Home Depot after edging for the tray for my puzzle house and ended up coming home with more plants. I am so pleased, though! I had a planter full of nasturtiums and decorative grass at the townhouse. We planted the grasses in our flowerbed here-and this morning I discovered one of the nasturtium seeds survived the move and is up!

I have several lists of stuff to do and accomplishing little. Mainly need to do laundry (...that's a surprise around here :hehe: ). I have 5 mini commissions to finish and mail, two art commissions (waaay far from done there), and a strand of pearls to reknot for the silver shop (they belong to one of the sales staff who is in no hurry, but I gotta gettem done!). I want to finish the background garden area of the wine cellar room box so hub can get the lighting done.

Big son has hacked down an old diseased apple tree in the front yard and is clearing the monkey grass out to fill with flowering shrubs and Japanese maple he brought home from work. Momma is supposed to be out there right now with a shovel in her hand making progress, but is on the GL forum instead....

:hehe: Oh for fudges sake! Restored my computer, and now it won't connect to the internet. It finds the wireless network, but then can't connect because it can't aquire an IP address. I've powered the router/modem off and on again, no luck. Works fine when I plug the ethernet cable into the laptop, but that isn't a suitable solution long term, need it wireless! :rofl:

Muriel, we can relate at our house. Just got over several weeks of internet connection problems. When we thought the problem was fixed, we could only get on with the old original master password that Bellsouth set it up with. Hope you can find a fix for your's that doesn't involve a gun or hammer! Youngest son says it sounds like you've locked the modem, but solutions between European and US probably vary quite a bit. Good luck!

I just finished 'aging' some cheap wooden barrels from A C Moore for the winecellar. Just used an 'Early American" shade of minwax stain pen and some metallic black/gray paint for the bands.

post-2290-1241986267_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1241986287_thumb.jpg

I started something new this weekend - mini weaving. I want a woven tartan-style blanket for my lodge house, so DH made me a hand-held loom yesterday based on a DIY video I saw on the internet several days ago. Made a pattern out of 2 strands of embroidery floss for each of the warp (vertical) threads, now I am repeating the pattern for the weft (horizontal) threads, so that it will end of more or less symmetrical. It's slow going, but I like how it is turning out. Will post pics once I get further along.

Liza, I would love to see the pictures! I have a tiny 'weavette' palm held loom, but I don't think it would make really fine textured stuff.

I'll try and remember to take some in the morning and post them in my gallery.

Went to an awards dinner last night and DH got a 'top gun' buckle for shooting. Went and watched DD and DH at a shooting match this morning and then went and looked at paint swatches for the living room. I want to get started on that now that I have most of the boxes out of the room and in the basement. Gave the neighbor an aquarium for his new tadpoles.

Back to work this morning, yucch! But only 3 weeks left and I will have Memorial Day off. And DS flies back to the US on Monday!! He won't be released until about Wednesday, but we will be going to see him. Can't wait!!

It is chilly this morning. Brrrr!

I planted all the plants yesterday and potted my tomato plants out on the patio in pots. So today is Fling day. All Fling All the time. I want to get a major dent done on the exterior today.

Mother`s day must be over. Because the kitchen is a mess and there is a pile of dishes. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.

It's cool today here, too. I wish it would warm up a bit so the Round-Up I sprayed on large sections of grass would work faster. The grass has to die before the flowers can go in. Right now the yard looks like large machines ran over it while the ground was soft. Funny, that's just what happened. :w00t: I've been on line downloading suggested planting maps and making a list of the flowers I want to put in.

Today the man is coming to hang the wallpaper in the master bedroom. Then except for finding a bedskirt, that room will be finished. It will be so nice to be able to look at something that's finished. The kitchen wallpaper is half stripped. Thank goodness I don't spend a lot of time in there. I guess I'll spend some time inside stripping wallpaper today while waiting for the grass to die.

I am soooo "tired" as in no brain left LOL (and since I have only a tiny one to start with... :w00t: ) We had a visit from our "friend" school in Dnemark, their 4th and 5th graders and I were in charge of the field day... Lots of planning and preparations afcourse but it still sooooo tiring to actually set the day up and have everything for appr 190 students running smoothly, especially since Friday was spent showing our school and discussing the school system in general with a delegation (and the Mayor LOL) from a Lithuanian city... Sheesh and then some!

Tomorrow I will get my hair "done" at the local Hair dresser school as my friend's son is closing in on graduating and needed a person with apprx my kind of hair, that will be a lovley break, being allll pampered and some new colour I think he said. Then come Sunday, it is his big day with examination so will get a proper hair cut, tomorrow is only one of those test out things day LOL

Sooo looking forward to Friday as it is a short day and then hopefully I will be able to squeeze in soem mini-ing, have so much I want to do and so little time to actually doing it, waking up 3.30 in the morning doesn't count as proper mini-ing time huh?!?

Hugs

Liza, I would love to see the pictures! I have a tiny 'weavette' palm held loom, but I don't think it would make really fine textured stuff.

Just added a few pictures to my gallery 'my minis'. The inside of the frame measures approximately 12" x 12", so it's large enough for me to make anything I want. I'm having trouble keeping the warp threads tight, so I will have to straighten everything out once I'm done, and fingers are bulky, so I use an embroidery needle to weave the floss back and forth. Noticed a mistake a ways down this morning, but it will be staying there. The blanket will be fringed on all sides. I would call this project a definate learning experience! :flowers: