What can I use this for?

Corwin

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salt liks for a hamster, i have a couple extra...
Ew! WHY? Aside from the fact that it's hydroscopic so if you live in any sort of humid climate it'll eventualy dissolve into a puddle of saltwater and ruin whatever it's in contact with in your dh or roombox...

• 3 months later...

Ok i love this topic lots of good ideas and i can answer my question soo, The yellow ones can be made int to cheese when ground down.

An old VCR

If any one has forgotten. . .

Person 1 lists something I.e brass finger rings then the person 2 says picture frames, and then they can describe if it isn't clear. Then person 2 suggest something. Let me start.

Large sheshkabob (sp) sticks with out pointed ends

Note Person 1 must answer the question above.

Note Person 1 must answer the question above.
Which one? The old VCR or the shishkabob skeewers? I've used the skewers to make mini sewing thread spools and to fill the gaps on tower sections and window bays.

I use our old VCR to play our old VHS tapes.

I have the clear plastic "blister" packaging DH's last fancy "mouse" came in, I don't necessarily want to use it for a pond, can anyone think of something else I could convert it into?

Holly, could you turn it over and use it to make a hill in a landscaping scene? I wasn't sure because I didn't know the size of it.

Sorry Corwin, but I couldn't think of an item to list. Brain is foggy this morning. :lol:

I LIKE that idea, Judi! I just found a cache of itty froggies, though, so the pond idea is becoming more appealing. OK, I'll try again. I found some fine, fine yarn on heavy cadboard cones. It will probably take me 100+ years to use all the yarn (it's thinner than candlewicking thread), but here are these wonderful cones, about 5"-6" tall & maybe 3" diameted at the base...

A 5'-6' high table (in scale)...hmmm. Thanks a heap, Corwin! <mumble, mumble>

The little shaped erasers make terrific dh kids' toys (I had leftovers from when I gave them out to kids in my school clinics that survived First Aid).

Digital watch innards

Holly, what springs to mind is those very artificial looking christmas trees. they just wind green stuff around a wire cone shape in real life. Or you could do strings of other things and wrap it around. Here's one made with lights (couldn't find a green stuff picture, but have seen them in real life). Here's an apple covered one (though they half look like tomatoes!)

Or you could make a wigwam with it... or the front part of a rocket...

No ideas for the watch thing, so I'll keep that as the next question:

Digital Watch innards

Use them for a modern collage.

Use the mouse blister as a skylight on a house.

Use the round oatmeal tube to store extra mouldings or wood scraps for houses.

Tea light cups for baking dishes in the oven (large cake, turkey).

Paint stir sticks can be cut to make stair treads (they stain better).

Cake columns look good on dollhouse porches or cut in half lengthwise to frame a door.

Sorry, I am in answer mode, not question mode - so no ideas for a 'what to do with ___'

Thanks, Muriel, for the tree suggestion, which I also got from a friend in a PM. The mouse blister is shaped sort of wierd, but I LIKE the skylight idea! I had thought of the collage thingie for the watch parts, but haven't figured out how to get everything out & apart yet!lol I also have a dead cell phone I found in a parking lot... (I can resist anything except temptation!)

I would 'nt mind seeingthe cell phone, i have a dead VCR myself. Sorry about those cones i thought you ment the shorter ones.For those cones you can also make colloums. For the blister pack how about a window?

Any other uses for a dead VCR Or dog fur?

Dog fur for wee upholstery stuffing? Some minsturists use their cats' shed whiskers for painting fine details.

You can use keyboard keys for planters and the wee suction cups on the backs for other mini uses. When I get finished with my latest attempt to straighten the work room I guess I'll take time to trash the cell phone to see what I can use. I can't help with the VCR, as we still use our to watch tapes; but I'll be interested in the answers. The mouse blister packaging would work for a 1:6 Huey Ranger or Bell helicopter canopy or the window of a mini bathysphere, neither of which I plan to build in my lifetime.

Hasn't anyone gutted a cell phone to see what's useable for minis?!?

Hasn't anyone gutted a cell phone to see what's useable for minis?!?

Noooo, not yet though I might add as I think I have an old one in a box somewhere and I am getting really really curious about what it looks inside... :lol: I would however be happy if I found an old non digital watch and "gut it" for those itty bitty sprockets...

Hugs

The spools the tape runs on ought to be good for coffee tables or some such.

Anna, one of Helen Ruthberger's books showed using mechanical watch parts to make mini collages, I remember one was an oldfashioned-looking automobile, I think the other was a steam locomotive engine.

Still waiting on the cell phone.

Robin, I don't use used ones! Ick! :insane: In my blog I tell how I use unused applicators for tampons to make bolster pillows and barrel purses. Go look under tutorials. There are a lot of uses for them!

How about uses for floppy disk parts? Has anyone done that one yet?

The flexable semi clear thing can be used for a 70's window The sliver round thing can be the base of a cake stand. The other one can be the top. The fabric can be used for well fabric. The big square thingie can be cut down to make a kick plate.

First aid gauze?

Doll torsi. For those who don't do full-body sculpts, after you attach head, hands/ forearms and feet/ lower legs to the wire armature and wrap the wires with batting to "flesh" it out you wrap it with gauze (or fabric tape) to hold the batting to the wire armature.

Lynette has used glue-stiffened gauze to make a ghost passing through a wall.

Still waiting on the cell phone.