A Funny Thing Happened

havanaholly

As I have posted earlier, we had planned to leave this AM early to go to VA to spend the holidays with our #2 son. Yesterday was the day we could schedule our annual physical exams, between all the trips we've taken recently, so we showed up, fasting for labwork and ready to be poked & prodded. I wasn't the least suspiscious when the nurse came in and ran an EKG strip, as it had been many years since my last one.

The next thing I knew both our ARNP and the doctor were in the examination room and had called my DH in, too, to order us to take me straight to the ER IMMEDIATELY to admit me for emergency surgery.

To make a long story short, I have what is called 3rd degree A/V heart block, which means when the upper chambers of my heart (where blood enters) beat, the electrical signal wasn't getting to the lower chambers that pump blood out, and my heart was gradually slowing down and would eventually STOP. So this time yesterday I was on an operating table with a drape over my face, chatting with my anesthesiologist whilst the surgeon installed a shiny little pacemaker smaller than a 'Nilla vanilla wafer with two tiny electrode wires threaded through a vein one ot the top & the other to the bottom of my heart, and now everybody is beating in time and other than being terribly sore and under orders not to move my left arm for a week, or use or lift it for another month (so the electrodes don't come loose), I'm back home.

The up side is I can play some more "catchup" on all the posts that came in whilst we ere gone last month. The downside is y'all have to put up with me a bit longer.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holly!!!!!! OK, trying to pick up my jaw here after having a mild heart stopping experience over here... All I can say is that youhad perfect timing getting to the docs when you did and I for one am ever so grateful having you around for a looooooooooong time!

Sheesh girl, you take it easy on yourself now and follow the doc's order to the letter, OK?!?

HUGS ;)

Holly, what a shock - thank goodness you didn't leave your check-up 'til after the holiday! Were you feeling tired - did you have any symptoms? I'm so very happy that you are okay! The good news is we'll have you online more - and , the GOOD news is we didn't lose you. What would we do without you?

Holly! I'm so glad you went to the doctor before you went on the trip! What if's are running through my mind! I love putting up with you as you so aptly put it! And I don't want to lose you! My dad had two pacemakers and I know how painful it was for him. But Holly should you even be typing?! If I were you, I would be in bed. Perhaps.

Wolfie

Holly, what great timing! It must have surprised the socks off of you, but you sure wouldn't want to be on the road dealing with a running down ticker.

Lloyd has had a pacemaker for about 12-13 years. Once a month the company calls him and they do a check over the phone to be sure everything is running well. He had one yesterday, as a matter of fact. He slips some bracelets over his wrists, connects to the phone line -- easy peasy. And then once every few months he sees the pacemaker manufacturer's rep at the clinic for an in-depth analysis. It tells them how often it has fired off, what percentage of the battery power has been used, estimates battery replacement time. It's amazing what electronics can do. He calls it his Timex ... it taks a licking and keeps him ticking. ;)

Which is to say, you'll be ticking along yourself soon. Hang in there. :groucho:

Ohh My Goodness Holly!! I am so happy you went to the doctors office!! I Thank God you went to the doctors and found out in time!! I am sure your children will understand why you can not come right now. Sending you a BIG gentle hug my Cyber Mom!! ;)

Thank you all! ;) The son in VA just now called and I talked to the eldest's MIL (she babysits Grayson) earlier, and DH stopped by the youngest's on his way home last night & referred to me as the "Bionic Woman", so of course when DS#3 called I had to tell him "Resistance is futile!"

Were you feeling tired - did you have any symptoms?
That's what's so wierd, Rosalind; other than getting a bit short of breath & diaphoretic the last mile or so of 7 & 8 mile hikes this past year I have had not symptoms, nada. In fact the last week of our recent trip, whilst we camped near Cedar Key, FL, we spent two days amongst the Gulf islands there paddling!

Anyway, so long as I treat my left upper arm as if it's broken and don't lift anything I won't dislodge the wires. I have red, blistered skin where all the EKG electrode patches were (I have a mild allergy to certain adhesives) and a beaut of a bruise where last night's IV site infiltrated and the incision site is VERY tender! The tech came in early this AM to check the settings and I'll see him when I go in for my 6-monthly checks. I guess I'll find out more details when I go back to the cadiologist's office in mid-February. Meanwhile I have been cleared to get my Dexa & mammogram on the 9th of Jan. I actually slept in the hospital last night! (the cardiology floor is a lot quieter than other floors I've been on, plus my room was around a corner from the nurses' station) One good thing is that I went ahead & got my flu shot before I left! What the heck, I thought, I was already sore!

Holly, you are just like Molly Brown! And as a parting shot to the hospital she gets her flu shot! I am so in awe of you Holly! But I'm glad you are doing better, what's a few bruises and tenderness? Better than being on the operating table that is for sure!

Get some rest woman and enjoy it! Is there anyone staying with you to help you out besides DH? I hope so. You shouldn't be doing anything!

Wolfie

Holly, I just read this thread and I'm so glad to hear that you made your appt with the dr before your trip. What a terrible scare that must have been. Thank God for everyone being quick and getting things working properly. I'm glad you're on the mend and also getting some much needed rest.

Take care.

Oh my goodness Holly! My heart about stopped when I read what had happened and I'm thanking ever diety I know that you're okay and they found it in time. You've truly got an angel in your pocket looking out for you. I don't even want to think about how it could have turned out or I'll just sit here and bawl.

<wrapping arms around you in a tight hug> I'm so, so, so, so glad that you're okay. Our world here maybe virtual, but you're a real sister to me. Take very good care of yourself, okay.

Deb <who's hands are shaking>

How scary that must have been for you, Holly! So glad they found it and were able to take care of the prob! Please listen to the docs and take care of yourself!

I am kinda late to the party.. I am also glad the Queen of Spackle is fine and dandy. Very Very Very very Lucky for you that you went to the dr when you did and they found that in time! Very very very!

Now keep that wing down and sit and read to your hearts content!