Newbie from Michigan

MickeyMiniFan

I just found this message board today and am thrilled with all of the information & advice. Thanks!

My doll rooms have been American Girl-sized for the last 4 years--so this is a nice change as far as space is concerned. Why the American Girl mini-dolls were never built to 1:12 scale, I do not know. I love the girls & the stories & the historical aspects of it all. What I'm loving about the miniatures hobby is that it allows me to use all of my other hobbies in one effort. I love to sew, crochet, knit, and work on scrapbooks, beaded jewelry, home improvement projects as well as my family genealogy. Someday, I would love to recreate an ancestor's home with all of the historical details. Right now, I'm reading everything my local library district has on the topic and starting on a few small projects - sewing room displays and a Disney-themed playroom/nursery. I just ordered the trailer kit and can't wait to come up with a bunch of ideas for hidden Mickeys in the project. Maybe we'll have to have some Mickey-face pancakes on the stove...

I have a future interior designer in the house so I am trying to learn to let her call the shots when it comes to decorating. This won't be easy for me. I'm the type that would want to design or buy all of the furniture & such. The trailer will be my pet-project, but the house that's coming on the 25th will be all hers.

I love DIY projects and always have left over pieces. Hopefully I can put these to good use in my new adventures with miniatures. I just don't know if I can glue fabric instead of sewing seams for doll clothes--it's against my nature.

I am looking for Disney-themed miniatures & accessories - so all suggestions & ideas in that area are most welcome! I am thinking that I should hit the stores after Christmas and buy ornaments 1/2 off to convert into miniature accessories. So far - that's my only idea without trying to fabricate things on my own.

I'm interesting in learning how everyone puts together their projects - and to find out about all of the handmade pieces everyone creates. I am getting the idea that people can't get everything they want from catalogs & store shelves.

Lastly, I'm from Michigan and eager to find out about all of the places to see & events to attend that might be in traveling distance. Would also love to see any projects that celebrate the MSU spartans as well.

The Orchid is coming.

I've been to the American Girl store in Chicago several times. It can be overwhelming and I always feel so broke. I'm embarrassed to say how many American Girl dolls are in our house but 3 are mine. I make all the clothes & most of the furniture.

I love Molly's stories the best but I don't have Molly. If you're looking for a great deal, you can pick up a Molly for under $50 on ebay if you have the patience for it. Some of the older Mollys have defective eyes called "silver eye" by the collectors. If you get a Molly (or a Kirsten) with the silver eye, you can send it in to American Girl for a replacement doll. They have an unconditional guarantee and are great about replacements and returns. I have a mini Molly that I need to sell - she is in my pile of things to list when I get the time.

Speaking of ebay, does anyone ever see the pleaters for miniatures on ebay? What's a good deal on those?

The patterns for AGs are just the cutest! I started collecting those a while ago, (I guess you could call me a "pattern hoarder"..any doll, any pattern that I can get my hands on!) then bought 3 of the "off brand" dolls so I could make clothes for them. My daughter has a Mini Samantha, although where she is now is anyone's guess. (Sam, not DD :w00t: ) I LOVE all the furniture and accessories for them, I'd love to see sets in 1/12 size, and even mini-er (is that a word?) AG dolls. I already have 2 Barbie A-frame dream houses (and LOTS of Barbies) and Tonner dolls (plan to make some rooms for them), and the dollhouses.. going bigger right now would take up too much space.

I could see a bunch of little AGs living in the Orchid, if they only made them that small!

Welcome, Michele. danneruff's Pretty Pleaters are made of rubber and come in three sizes. You can also make acceptable pleaters by sealing corrugated cardboard and also by gluing bamboo skewers to a board (lay the skewers all out side-by-side, glue down every other one & remove the unglued ones to make your pleater). Press your fabric and soak it in starch or a mixture of white tacky glue & water and lay it on a piece of plastic wrap and then lay that on your pleater, use a skewer to poke the fabric snugly into the grooves and let it dry. My personal method is to fold the fabric into pleats and baste the folds together, steam them with the iron and let them cool and remove the stitches. No matter what method you use, natural fabrics such as cottons & silks will pleat or hang in folds.

HI AND WELCOME. IF YOU HAVE A HOBBY LOBBY NEAR YOU THEY HAVE SOME CUTE DISNEY ITEMS IN THE SCRAPBOOK SECTION. ALSO I BOUGHT SOME DISNEY SCRAPBOOK PAPER THAT I USED IN MY "WILLOW" FOR WALLPAPER. I HAVE A PLEATER THAT I DON'T USE. IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR ADDRESS I WILL SEND IT TO YOU. IT IS THE RUBBER KIND. I BOUGHT AT A DOLLHOUSE SHOW. BEA