New here, from RI

Kalani

hi My name is Kathy :)

I grew up fascinated by dollhouses, but I never had the financial means to build one (I had an awesome dollhouse shop down the street from me, I always went in there to browse but the prices were/are high...its still around). Now that I have the means and my girls (almost 2 and almost 4) are older, I am thinking of finally building one. (doesnt help that a friend is sculpting a resin ball jointed doll that is dollhouse sized)

My main hobby is ball jointed dolls...I have always been fascinated by anything miniature....and the detail in these extremely expensive (my main one was 600, and my in process purchase is 735) dolls is just incredible.

Originally I was thinking of going with the Orchid or the Arthur by Greenleaf...but I wonder if the Simplicity by Real Good Toys would be a better choice (my kids will probably play with the dollhouse, and it looks to be an easy build) I like the Colonial style too, as I grew up around alot of Colonial houses and history.

Now if I could just convince my husband that dollhouses are not too girly and get him into it too. (Anything with the word doll makes him completely uninterested)

It tempts me to see if that shop still custom builds the dollhouses...but I can well imagine that running into the thousands (If I was rich I'd have someone build the Queen Anne II for me and I'd fill it with gorgeous furniture and pay my friend to sculpt a whole doll family, maids and footmen...wow thatd just be completely awesome...time to take out a lottery ticket)

Hi Kathy, welcome to the forum! :) I agree with you - it would be great to win the lottery and have what ever minis our hearts desired! Of course, you'd still want to make your own things some of the time. That's half the fun. ;)

HI and welcome! My kids play with my houses, and as long as they are supervized ( read as not allowed to sit on them, I have boys) they should be fine with a greenleaf house. One thing about RGT houses is that they are too heavy to move very often so you would have to have them stand on chairs to be able to play with it or you would always be stooping. It may be a better chioce to get them a small one they can playwith and do another one for yourself.

I am in North Kingstown RI...(My husband works in Westerly though so I may move to Westerly or Stonington in a couple of years...but then I wouldnt live a mile and a half away from my doll buddy :))

I just remembered that my Mom picked a dollhouse up at a yard sale last year. Its sitting in her basement...I'm going to look at it tonight and see how much TLC it needs. If I decide to fix it up, I will post pictures when I get back on Thursday if I decide to take it home. (I may need imput on it...it was not made from a kit...) I know it needs major work but I'm worried about it being off in size or uneven. If its warped though, Its probably hopeless though.

The thing I like about the Simplicity is that they advertise it as going together in less then an hour. Seems like the Greenleaf ones take alot of time (although I love the Magnolia...its gorgeous!)

Seriously? My DH has cousins in Wakefield RI, and his grandparents (god rest em) lived No Kingston, as the grandfather was a professor at URI. This is great!!! Heidi is in New London, I am in East Lyme only about 30-45 min away! My B-I-L and F-I-L both live in North Stonington.

Remodels can be easy or hard, depends on what has been done to them. Just like the kits, the come in all degrees of difficulty. Be sure to measure the doll house at your moms, it may be worth saving. =)

Very cool!

Hi and :), Kathy!! I'm in the Boston area but have family in Warwick. I'm originally from the Hartford area. Corey was in Newport, but I remember her last post mentioning moving sometime soon. She hasn't been around too much lately.

I don't think the Greenleaf houses are hard or take too long to build. It really depends on what you want to do with them and how you build them. You can usually get the house built within a couple of hours if you don't worry about painting and decorating first. I haven't built and RGT houses, so I can't compare though. Let us know what you decide.

Enjoy!!

;)

Your husband might get interested in building a garage, work shop or wine cellar. After all tools are involved! Even though my kids all work on certain projects, for years my oldest son warned the youngest one that he would grow ovaries from touching dollhouse books (this can also happen from putting anything directly into the dishwasher instead of on the counter first or refilling water into the ice cube trays). Well at least the boys know what ovaries are!

Welcome.

Hi Kathy and welcome.

Another mini neighbor!! I feel so blessed!

Glad you found us.. I want to win the Powerball and buy the Bostonian dh but I would want to build it myself. I love the building process I think more then the decorating process.

Dawn it correct in that you really arent that very far away from us..and if you move to Westerly or North Stonington..wow that would be even better.

I also did dolls until I went house crazy :flowers: . If the girls are going to play in it buy it for them. Then when you get the hang of it do one for you. NO LITTLE HANDS. As for getting the husband into it. you can try acting all stupid and see if he will race in to save you or do a theme of something he is crazy about.

Welcome, Kathy.

Now if I could just convince my husband that dollhouses are not too girly and get him into it too.
Show him Greg's albums or Glen or Peter's or Corwin's houses. Or any of our male members' houses. If he still isn't interested, show him Mark Turpin's site or Ferd Sobol's and get him to make your furniture.

We have a few doll sculptors on the forum, check out Wolfie's or Sherry's little people.

Seems like the Greenleaf ones take alot of time (although I love the Magnolia...its gorgeous!)
My Magnolia went together in a few hours, beause of real life interruptions it was a couple of days and because I was going to disassemble parts of it to decorate it took a bit longer. The Orchid took me less than three hours to do the shell. The first kit I built was Dura-Craft's San Franciscan and it took me 3 1/2 years.

Hi! I am in Newport .. We are moving but will be here another couple of months.

This is a great place and you will find lots of helpful people. I know I wish I had more time to see the wonderful eye candy and read all the great posts.

Corey