interior designer turned mini obsessed newbie

lynnsusan

Hi my name is Lynn I live in Oakwood Ohio and I am so excited about finding this site! I have just started my first ever doll house. It is Victoria's Farmhouse by "Real Good Toys". I wanted a house that looked somewhat like the old houses in my neighborhood. I have however decided that I want my next doll house to either be an orchid for my girls or a Beacon Hill for myself! So many decisions I love it!! I have worked as an interior designer for years and am ready to try my skills on a smaller scale. I am a bit computer "challenged" so I hope that I can figure out how to ask my many questions on this site. ( this is a fabulous site and everyone seems so helpful!) I look forward to getting to know all of you better!

Welcome to the mini "family" here at the forum, Lynn.

I hope that I can figure out how to ask my many questions on this site.
There are quite a few "FAQ" areas to check out and a "Search" feature.

A number of us have done quite a few crafts, building projects, etc in 1:1 scale and have been adapting those skills to miniature. You'll gradually learn to "think small" and develop the miniature "eye".

We have a few members working on the RGT Victoria's Farmhouse, as well as all sorts of versions of both the Orchid & Beacon Hill. Do peruse the Gallery albums & blogs to see what's being/ been done.

Hi Tappy I am from Oakwood, OH (near Dayton Ohio). I wish that I could find others around here that are into Dollhouses. I am starting as well as my friend. She is beginning as well. We talk dollhouses non-stop, I think our husbands think we have lost our minds. This has become a bit of an obsession!

That is so great that your friend is as obsessed as you!! None of my friends or family have any mini interests, so I am thinking of checking out a NAME(National Assoc. of Miniature Enthusiasts) club near here that I had heard about.

Ohio has 3 citys named Oakwood--one is just 20 minutes from my house, so I thought you may be in the NE Ohio area. Either way, it is great to have another Ohioan in the group!

Have a great day!

Tappy

Hi Lynn

Welcome!

I got into interior design through miniatures. After I retired I took up miniatures as a hobby I could share with my daughter. After I realized that so many miniatures books were written by interior designers or interior architects I went back to school to get an interior design (and interior restoration and preservation) certificate.

My daughter is also building Victoria's Farmhouse as Green Gables. She did make some changes to the house though. You can see some pictures on our website.

Lisa R.