What's everyone working on?

THmini2

since our bank account is feeling poorly, I've been working through my stash of small kits. Finished some 1/2 scales: oak dresser, two step stool, two round tables. Now working on HOM arm chairs. I've gone through my stash of fabric scraps and found a pale blue silk for upholstery that matches some of the BH wallpapers.

Speaking of a stash, I've been watching an auction on eBay for the last four days. A 50 piece lot of HoM kits. I knew the price would go through the roof, so I didn't even get involved with it, and I was right. The final price was $302.00 - my jaw hit the floor! Especially because it was won by a rookie! Whoever the bidder was, she only had 1 sale under her belt and she beat out at least 8 more experienced bidders. Way to go!

I am still plugging away at my farmhouse. I spent the past two days trying to make a piano. I am stuck for a stool. Ideas? My Store kit is talking to me so I had to put him in the closet for a while until he gets too loud and I will have to take him out and work on him. Did I say I was only building ONE thing? Is there AA for dollhouse addicts?

I am still plugging away at my farmhouse. I spent the past two days trying to make a piano. I am stuck for a stool. Ideas? My Store kit is talking to me so I had to put him in the closet for a while until he gets too loud and I will have to take him out and work on him. Did I say I was only building ONE thing? Is there AA for dollhouse addicts?

You could modify an empty thread spool, they come in all sizes, and some of the older ones are wooden.

Apiano stool? What about a flat button and a chess pawn without its head, and seedbeads for feet? Shelly, I really think the glue irises look more like real flowers; good luck getting the cold porcelain thin enough to be translucent AND hold its shape.

LOL Brae! You guys are soooo helpful! NOT!

OK I dug out my sheets of puzzle furniture left over from the Michaels Puzzle houses and put together some pieces that don't go together but they work for a piano bench. I will post a picture soon and see what anyone thinks. I am not fond of puzzle furniture for this dollhouse but with a cushion on the top I don't think it will matter much.

I'm not an addict. They go to meetings! :angry:

I'm working on Bullwinkle Terrace, Trying to figure out the roof hinges. The instructions just say attach, but not how to with these weird hinges. They have screw grooves, so the screw heads sit down in the hinge metal rather than sitting on top, but screwing them on with those correct leaves a big (wrong) gap on the roof. So gotta be put on oddly and upside down in terms of screw grooves, with one hinge out on the outside of the roof, which seems wrong, but only way it seems to fit. Oh well, it'll do!

Was going to just paint the wood with a few layers, but because of the bashing there are some left over grooves in the walls, so gotta cover them with something. Don't want to make templates for everything, but might be a bit odd just to have a couple walls with templates. Guess I'll have to try this out too!

I went to Joann's and found some great fabrics. I was concerned about finding any that was 1-correct scale, 2-right colors together, and 3-masculine. But I did!! I'm fired up again about this project now. It's been so hard finding any mini stuff that isn't girly looking or antique style, but it's starting to come together, and that's exciting!!

I did think about pollyfilla, but they're about 1cm wide, by 0.5 cm deep (0.4 inches x 0.2 inches). Tried it on another house and didn't think it looked that great. Maybe if i build it up slowly - if I am patient enough anyway! Basically it is the grooves where some walls/floors would have slotted in, so they are minimum 6 inches long mostly.

Done the roof hinges, but bedtime now! tomorrow after work I'll think about what I still need to do and in what order.

I've used it to fill the slots when the tabs are short, and I've used it to fill gaps; it does take patience, smoothing both sides and sanding and possibly filling again, but if you want to cover them up and have a smooth finish that's what works for me. If you have lots of sawdust you can mix it with wood glue to make a slurry to fill your grooves, like wood putty, only you don't have to make it so stiff and you can sand it afterwards.

I'm a little happier with my little coffered tower ceiling. Next I have to stand on my head (and possibly get it stick inside one or both Fairfields) to do baseboards.

Hi I'm currently working on my very first construction of a doll house! I have other doll houses but none that I have made. It's the middle of the night and i woke up so I'm sitting here working on my "rug" for a room. I'm trying to digitize a circular rug that I can sew out on a computerized embroidery machine. I'm thinking of using sheer fabric to hold it together. I was going to try stand alone with water soluble stabilizer but I have mires of sheer fabric and its easier. Now I'm trying to figure out what else I can get my embroidery machine to do! Anyone else seen anything that has been made with an embroidery machine. I can digitize some. OH and I just met a hobby silversmith. Boy do I have plans for him! I use to sculpt but I have never used this oven bake clay before. I got some today. I have made porcelain mini dolls in the past. So, I'm trying to figure out how to use this stuff. It's really quite stiff. And my hands have a lot of arthritis. I'm thinking I should just try porcelain or earthen ware again.

Oh I'm also "attempting" to make a mini shade with lace on my embroidery machine. I have sewed out 2...both really super duper flops! One might ask?? WHAT WAS THAT SUPPOSE TO BE! LOl they both look like a gob of thread.

I sure could use ideas of things that could be done on an embroidery machine! My doll work house is in my small wood shop out back. So, I am not getting dressed to go out there right now( its freezing cold!). I wish I had a place in my house, but I don't. So, I love doing this type of stuff when I can't sleep.

PS Thanks for having me. As you can tell I'm way excited with dollhouses!

Hi, Elizabeth, and when you get a chance, do drop in at the Newcomers' Forum to introduce yourself to everyone. I can't help you with the machine embroidery, I clip on a jeweler's loupe and stitch petitpoint rugs or mini crewel, or crochet, or knit, and I handsew most doll clothes, curtains, bedding, etc. I love to sculpt with polyclay, although my arthritis makes conditioning the clay & mixing colors a long, drawn-out process. I'm looking forward to your making five posts so you can share pictures of your work with us in the gallery.

I haven't even tried making anything for the dollhouse on a sewing machine. When it's that small, it is hardly worth the effort to get the machine out. But I'd think you could do some pretty embroidered linens and monogrammed towels!

I sewed pillows and a curtain valance on my new machine which worked out ok but I glued many things and that was a lot easier than sewing those tiny seams. I will let you know how I make out with the dolls. I think they are way too small for the machine and my patience level.

I sewed pillows and a curtain valance on my new machine which worked out ok but I glued many things and that was a lot easier than sewing those tiny seams. I will let you know how I make out with the dolls. I think they are way too small for the machine and my patience level.
I used to make & dress cloth dolls and I can sew tiny, detailed stuff by hand a whole lot faster & just as well by hand as machine.

DH is spending the day in the woods weeding out invasive plant species with a work crew from the FTA, so when I'm not on here I'm playing with the iso Fairfield. The tower roof is together, just waiting for the spackle to dry so I can sand it and paint it copper. I repaired the roof piece I'd butchered, and when that's dry I'm going to prime, then paint the undersides of all the roof pieces. I reduced the Knole settee pattern, now I have to see how well I do on the slipper chair pattern, and I can play with making library firniture later.

I made my cork floor this morning and did another dumb thing. This roll of cork is 4 ft long, and I wanted to do two rooms, but cut the first one backward! I will probably have to piece the second one. Makes me mad, that stuff is expensive! But I think a gentleman needs a sound resistant floor in his bedroom, since it's right above the living room. :angry:

Here's the bedroom so far. The brown over the bed will be the headboard. I'll trim it out with wood and then have a set of paintings that go together, to hang there. I made an ultrasuede blanket for the foot of the bed but forgot to put it on there. Something I learned-take a piece of the blufoam, cover it with felt or batting, and it makes a great mattress (extra firm)! Just made a set of silky sheets to go over it.

gallery_3692_3798_5863.jpg