I'm a real newby.

jjacks

I just received my Garfield kit and am suddenly wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. I am trying to concentrate on reading the directions over and over again to get a feel of where to start. :) I am retired and have lots of spare time and want to take my time with this and make something I can be really proud of.

Are there any special tips or help out there as to where to start? I gather I need to pick out paint colors etc., but do you work on the outside of the house or the inside first? Do you paint everything that will be painted before you start to assemble? I want to electrify the house also. I know this to be done before wallpaper and rugs etc.

I'm sure once I get into it, everything will fall into place. I'd appreciate any help that's out there.

jjacks

I am a newbie too and am working on my first dollhouse. That is wonderful that you have the time to take your time! (did that make any sence?) Anyway, I think what you are doing is great. Getting familiar with the instructions and being patient are probably the best things you can do. Make sure to post lots of pict so we can share in your mini journey.

Welcome!

I think the scariest part of these houses is opening your first box!

Before you start make sure you have everything you need. A square, level, plenty of fine sandpaper, spackle/filler and of course glue. A pile of emery boards and a couple of pencils with fine sandpaper wrapped around them will also be handy.

I do not use hot glue to build because I view my houses as potential heirlooms. I do use hot glue or other fast drying glue to tack stuff while wood glue on large pieces dry. I also use tape books, paint cans, for this but this you will figure out yourselves when the time comes!

Some things I have learned about slot and tab houses:

Follow the instructions and do not remove anything from the sheet before instructions say to.

I seal everything at once before removing from sheets, this way the sides of the pieces are still unpainted and glue better. I use a white sealing primer and a small roller, two thin coats are better that one thick one so each coat dries quickly.

I sand every piece, VERY LIGHTLY, even the ones that will not show.

When sanding two pieces, like window parts that will be glued back to back, I sand both at the same time. I stick them together with push pins. I use sandpaper glued to pieces of board to sand flat areas I hold the part being sanded, not the paper, it gives me more control. I would practice with scraps to figure out how much pressure to apply and how many passes (i go in one direction only) you need before doing this on a house part though.

One problem with dollhouse are the window instructions. I punch then out as directed then I put all the parts of each window into a labeled zip lock bag. So, for example if the first instruction involves the inside trim of from left window, write that on the bag and put the piece in. I do all the window building painting at the end but you can assemble the windows as you go along but unless you are planing to stain or paint all one colour do not attach widows to the house until it is painted inside and out. Just keep the parts and eventually the fully assembled and painted windows (and door(s) too) in their labeled bags.

I paint or paper the ceilings as I install. After I install, I cover them with paper to protect them from the rest of the building painting but usually they end up need at least a little touch up.

For me wallpapering really depends on the house. If as you dry fit you see there will be an area that you will not have good access to after the house is built, paper or paint as you go. Remember that changing will be difficult or impossible later, so take you time with it.

As far as order, I paint the outside first. Inside the ceiling are done, I do wallpaper or paint the walls next, then put in finished windows, then do the floors, then the trims coving and base board. If the house needs support for the floors while I am building I tack in blocks with push pins and remove them as I add the crown molding or what ever trim I and using on the final house.

Do not paint you house inside or out until you are 100% satisfied with it. This is where sanding and filling come in, smooth bumps and fill holes and cracks.

I add the windows door and any trim that will not be the main house colour after the house is shingled and painted.

If you use spray paint or an airbrush, cover all the openings to the inside before you paint, other wise you might get runs and drips that will need fixing.

There are probably as many ways to build as there are people, this is just want I do. Check the archives for lots of great tips and the threads about the house you are building. Good luck with your house!

• Like 1

I was a rank amateur too, when I bought my Garfield. You can see her in the gallery...:)

Reading the instructions through, several times...and setting them aside...then doing that again..is a GOOD thing. It is a huge house, and complicated, but worth your effort when she's done.

As for painting and staining...FIRST thing: DON'T use hot glue to assemble your house (the instructions tell you otherwise.) There are lots of good glues available -- several folks here use Elmer's wood glue, for example...almost anything BUT hot glue is a good choice.

You do want to think about what you what the house to look like, inside and out..before you start doing anything more than cutting out the pieces. "Dry fitting" the house together, using masking tape or that blue carpenter's tape (my favorite! :wave: ) should be your first step. Then you can see where you'll find all sorts of really difficult to get corners and angles, and can better see what you might want to stain (like maybe the floors, or staircase) and what you want to paint. And you can also lay out the circuitry for the wiring, if indeed you plan to do that (I haven't dared to venture into the electrical world just yet!)

Then you can lay out everything you want painted, and prime it, and the rest that you'll stain. Try to avoid getting too much stain or paint on the edges that will be glued (but a bit of sanding will usually take care of that, and you'll get a tight seal).

Do prime all the surfaces (that you don't stain), even if you're going to cover them up with wallpaper. The paper will stick better, and last better over the years.

Then the electrical, then the wallpapering or painting, and you're on your way. She's a lovely house when she's done; even my very amateur attempt looks pretty good! Have fun! :chef:

• Like 1

Hi and :) ! As for what to do first--take a deep breath and relax!! Each of us does our houses differently. To be honest it depends on the house whether I paint before assembly. I usually prime first, but sometimes I'm too excited to see what it is going to look like and get to the building. If I haven't decided what colors yet, then I definitely wait to paint. There isn't a wrong way to do it (except maybe use a hot glue gun to assemble). Enjoy it!!

:wave:

Welcome to the forum, Jeanne, and join in the fun!

Are there any special tips or help out there as to where to start?
Some already in answer, I'll put in my two cents' worth in a mo', and do, do, do read the blogs and the "Dollhouse FAQ" subforum.
I gather I need to pick out paint colors etc.,
Not until you at least do the dry-fit to see if the house "speaks" to you (If it hasn't already begun to do so.
but do you work on the outside of the house or the inside first?
The house will "tell" you. Do the dry-fit! What areas look like they'll be impossible to get to once they're glued together? You'll want to prime and paint or paper those before you glue the shell together and get the stairs in and suddenly discover, "Oh, S**T!!!"
Do you paint everything that will be painted before you start to assemble?
I used to. Guess how I found out that wood glue doesn't like to stick two painted surfaces together (like tabs & slots)? I also had the same problem (not as severe) with sanding sealer (I used the clear kind).

Besides, whenever possible I like to scribe my "floorboards" directly into the plywood floor pieces, punch the nail holes in each board's ends, and then stain the floor to bring out the individual boards before sanding and sealing. Stain doesn't like to sink into wood through sealer, and it certainly won't do it through a coat or two of white sealer. Then I prime ceilings, walls & any doors & trim I'm not planning to stain. I stained all the woodwork in my Glencroft, most of it while it was still in the plywood sheets; that meant going over each sheet with the schematics and marking what I was NOT going to stain.

I got a kit house to rehab for $2 this week that was originally assembled with hot glue, so it's falling apart (except for the windows & doors, I'll have to get the whole thing up to my workroom somehow without damaging the pieces that are hanging by their tabs because the hot glue has let completely go to findout if the whole thing was hot-glued or not).

If you feel panicky looking at all those kit parts, I still get that feeling opening small kits, and I have built a couple of kits by now; once you start the build (with the aforementioned dry-fit) and listen to the house tell you what it wants (I have two kits describing to me in excruciatingly tiddly detail exactly how they want to look and they're still sealed in their boxes!l0l) and lse yourself in the creative process that panic transforms into a joyful state of creativity. If at any time you still feel panic, or the feeling comes back, stepaway from the kit, close the room door, go fix yourself a stiff drink and curl up with a trashy novel and forget about it' it'll still be there when you're ready to go again.

No mess-up or mistake cannot be covered with wallpaper, trim or spackling compound.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum. You've gotten some good advice, I will only add that it may help to look through the blogs and gallery area to see what other people have done.

Relax and have fun, I still have to take a deep breath and not panic when I first open a dollhouse kit.

:starwars:

Hello and Welcome! You have found the perfect place to ask for help. I am a very, very big new person to building dollhouses, and everyone on this forum has been wonderful. Don't be afraid to ask any question(s) that you have, they are all very experienced and someone has a great idea or answer for you!!

Remember to have fun and take your time! I also found that patience is a true virture, not something that I have always had.

Hi there!

Yes, you have gotten some great advice.

The only advice I can offer is relax and breathe. If you get to a point in the house and instructions that are driving you into insanity, STEP AWAY FROM THE HOUSE!

Many mistakes are made when you are frustrated. Take a dh breather. Ask us some questions. This is going to be fun.

One thing I do with any new house that is time consuming but very helpful is mark your pieces. Get out the schematic sheet and with a pencil, lightly mark each and every piece. I write the number sheet it came from and what it is. That way if any of them become free from the sheet, you will know what it is!

I also put smaller pieces in clearly marked ziploc baggies.

Glad you found us and cant wait to see your progress.

Welcome to the neighborhood! It's great you are reading the instructions over and over again. They will makes sense once you start assembling the house.

For tips on supplies for this project, click here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...?showtopic=3074

for tips on the best glue to use, click here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7229

for the best tools, click here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...?showtopic=7272

:starwars:

Welcome to the forum!

since everyone has gave you some good starting tips I wont add any...

but do take it at your own pace...its not a race. enjoy the build!

and do take photos...not just for they eyecandy addicts around here but also to keep a record of the build for yourself. its nice to look back and see..."wow" look at what I accomplished. also if the house is to be a gift the recipiant may want to see the house "grow up"

Im so glad you found us.

Happy Building

nutti :starwars:

If you plan to electrify your dh you will most definitely want to take pictures!

After I take pictures of a build I make a "book" out of them with notes & comments (& sometimes fabric samples!) for future reference.

Welcome to the community, Jeanne! ;)

As you will have noticed, everyone here is eager to help with tips, friendly advice and a dash of humour. We love to share the ups and downs of the mini world here.

No question should go unasked because you think it's "dumb". There are many experienced members ready to provide answers - and if you think about it, the reason they have the answers (usually) is because they've already struggled with the same issues!

This is a great forum. It's got a "we're all in the same boat" feeling, with terrific comraderie - the owner and his staff are the sweetest, nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

• Like 1

Welcome,

Do not fill overwelmed, it will be ok. I normaly start out of order. Shell first. Then after assembling that I paint the outside and wallpaper the inside. I try to leave the floors for last.I paint the ceilings before I paper. I paint all the trim before glueing just don't paint the glueside. Stain before glue or you end up with glue showing up under your stain. And then you'll probably cry like I did the day I discovered that. Store the peices in labeled ziplocs. write the part number on the back of all the peices with a pencil as you pull them out or they fall out. It looks worse than it is!!!! I understand too. You can do it just remember to lable everything the min you figure out what it is. After you get the thing togather you will wonder why you ever felt like this. Just take time and go slow. You can do it!!!!

Thanks to each and everyone who responded. I feel relaxed already and raring to go. You all had wonderful tips that will be so helpful. You have probable saved me hour of frustration already.

Bless you all. And thanks again so much.

Jeanne

Yea, Jeanne! Oh, BTW, since you're going to take pictures anyway, you might want to make two more posts and then you can post your building pictures in an album in the Members' Gallery so we can enjoy the eyecandy (HINT!!!).

Welcome! You've really gotten some great advice so far and hopefully you will have questions down the road that we will all be eager to answer. Remember to take your time. This shouldn't be work, it should be a lot of fun! Look through member's galleries or pictures of real homes for inspiration. In between building the house, I like to work on other miniature projects. Not building another house of course, but maybe working on tiny things to put in the house. This helps break up the time I work on my house so that when I get back to it, I see it in a whole new light. Good luck and have fun!