Familiar pics in Ebay listing

New Day

YAY!! I read last night, but was to tired to say anything. I am glad it worked out for all of you. A lot of people mistakenly think that internet pictures are public domain. Maybe a copyright notice announcement in the FAQ and on the Gallery home page would help.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tracy, since the pictures have been removed closing this thread is fine with me. UNTIL she or someone else done it again. I don't think she will do it again but someone else will.

Personally I think she owes me and everyone else whose picture she used an apology.

on every page of our gallery it shows this at the bottom of the page

Powered By

IP.Gallery © 2007 IPS, Inc.

Licensed to: Greenleaf Dollhouses

Copyright © 2006 - Greenleaf Dollhouses

All posts by Members and the Greenleaf Miniature Community Staff are the opinions of the original author and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Greenleaf SRD Corporation. Material on this site cannot be reproduced without written permission from Greenleaf SRD Corporation or the original author.

Custom Skin by:

Dragonfly © all rights reserved.

The problem is people don't read :mad:

I'm really glad the pics are down. It upset me a lot, especially to see the pic of my laurel as the primary picture in that auction since it gave the appearance that it was the house she was selling. I got several emails from her this morning before I got up. The first ones were along the lines of "I got the pictures from webshots and since you put them there, that means I can use them if I want to". Um, no. The point of photo sharing sites is that you can post pictures for others to see, but digital copyright laws still apply to original images, text and intellectual property unless the owner specifically states that the material can be duplicated and used by other people. Posting a picture in any public domain doesn't change the fact that it belongs to the original poster and permission is required before it can be duplicated in any other public domain. Anyway, the last emails I got from her said that she was pulling the pictures and she hadn't intended any harm but she doesn't think that she did anything wrong. Methinks that the influx of email from so many of us was probably what changed her mind about removing our pictures. Great teamwork everyone!

Tracy, it's fine with me if you close the topic. I don't like bad vibes either. :mad:

Deb

hi, all,

:mad: GO, team!!! glad to see that everybody's photos have been taken down. it's great to see that the seller paid attention and did the right thing - even if she couldn't admit that she'd been wrong.

i understand that posts abt this sort of thing emits bad vibes, but i think we can feel very good about how this particular situation was resolved. and it is helpful to read about what people did to make that happen.

FWIW, about eBay and photo theft: back when Linda Cullen's photos were being used without her consent, i complained and eBay responded. they sent several replies.

what they eventually said was that they must hear from the owner of the photograph.

they also said that they could not tell me (the non-owner) what they'd do but that they might suspend the seller's account or "take other actions." So far as i know, there was no swift resolution with that particular seller.

there ought to be consequences if a seller has has stolen another person's work and then won't remove the photos after being asked. unauthorized, unacknowledged use of other people's work for commercial purposes is theft, and eBay policies recognize that.

well, i'm really glad this worked out right for everybody here. TEAMwork is very, very cool!

Since this topic is still open & I just get to read it, I want to add my 2 cents' worth.

I cannot believe she wrote you a not so nice note. In my eyes they are stealing.
Anyone who feels it's OK to use another person's intellectual property IS stealing, and apparently they feel that if they ignore/ don't read the copyright info it doesn't apply to them. I think when more people have had a chance to read this thread you might want to close it, and we can all be more vigilant. I don't "do" ebay, but DH does, so I may start going in just to check from time to time.

Congratulations to all of you for taking a stand against this ebay seller. Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of people out there that think just because something is on the internet it does not belong to anyone and is up for grabs.

Valerie

Well, I just received an email from this lady asking if she could use the pics of my orchid from webshots. I have not replied to her as of yet, however, I am thinking that since she did ask politely I may allow her to use them, but only if I get credit for the work. She stated that although the pics are public and she could just use them anyway, she thought she would ask first. I will have to remind her that she cannot just use the pics without permission, but since she asked..... :ohyeah: Not sure what to do.

Well, I just received an email from this lady asking if she could use the pics of my orchid from webshots. I have not replied to her as of yet, however, I am thinking that since she did ask politely I may allow her to use them, but only if I get credit for the work. She stated that although the pics are public and she could just use them anyway, she thought she would ask first. I will have to remind her that she cannot just use the pics without permission, but since she asked..... :ohyeah: Not sure what to do.

Judi, while it's flattering to know that someone appreciates what you've done, if I were in your position, I think I'd refuse her request. Everyone else on eBay seems to be able to sell dollhouse kits using photos of the box or those from the manufacturer. My personal feeling is that she's coming close to misleading advertising. Even if she gives you credit, we all know that the folks sliding through eBay do not always read the fine print.

I really think eBay ought to be a WYSIWYG site, where What You See Is What You Get.

My two cents, for what it's worth. :hide:

Well, after reading what I wrote to her, she may not want to use them. :ohyeah: I did give her permission, however, I clearly stated that I must receive credit for the work. I also told her that I am friends with some of the people whose pics she used without permission and my friends were not pleased at all with her attitude. If she decides to use them and does not give me credit, then I will blast her. I also told her that she needs to make it perfectly clear that the pictures are of finished items and not the kit she is selling. Like I said, it is doubtful now that she will want to use them. Oh, BTW, the only way I found to contact her was to leave a message on her webshots page. THAT is a public page and the message is right there for all to see, so if she contacts anyone else about it, they can go to the site and see what I wrote to her. http://community.webshots.com/user/marilynsgifts/messages

The funny part? In her email, the ebay site was not mentioned. Do you think she will be surprised by my reference to it? I hope so. It will show her that I know who she is and what she is up to.

I just looked at her webshots profile. She has you (Judi) and Wilma Hartog (kokkie) as her only two friends, added within the past week. She's apparently been trolling for dollhouse pictures.

The same thing happened to Linda Cullen a few weeks ago!

Yes, and he even sent me an email yesterday to let me know that he was re-listing that dollhouse. Somehow, I don't think it will sell.

KathieB, you are so right! I need the visual and I can't count the number of times I've just looked at the pictures and never read any print on ebay. I'm in total agreement with you that your auction should state what it is that you're selling and not what it can be. Very misleading!

I also went to her webshots and found she has no albums of her own and she has bookmarked 10 people, a few from here such as terri (smallhouset) and fairimom and a few others I recall seeing here. I find that strange!

She is 100% wrong about the pics being public and she could use them anyway!! She still apparently doesn't know about copyrights. At some point she may get an expensive lesson if she doesn't wise up.

Kathy

Judi, either way be sure to highlight the copyright text at the bottom of every page on this site:

All posts by Members and the Greenleaf Miniature Community Staff are the opinions of the original author and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Greenleaf SRD Corporation. Material on this site cannot be reproduced without written permission from Greenleaf SRD Corporation or the original author.
in your correspondence with her or anyone else involved in this sort of thing. BTW, if anyone spots any of MY pictures on ebay, I do NOT sell on ebay and this is the only site that hosts my pictures.
Could we just leave this thread open? That way we can patrol and alert when need be
Good idea. Maybe we could pin this topic to move it out of the general discussion area?

I sent her the link to read about copyrights on webshots. They give a person who is a member of webshots permission to download and use the pictures for PERSONAL use only. NOT for profit. I sent her the link and told her a public picture does not mean the copyright is "waived".

wow that person has an interesting attitude. Why does she feel the need to use other peoples photos anyway. other sellers use the pictures from the box and they sell their products just fine. I wouldn't want my pictures used on ebay!

I guess what chaps my hide is, if you sell a item and you would like more pictures of it, instead of appearing to be an expert by taking pictures of other peoples hard work, why not jump in and do it yourself so you can actually HELP your customers. I have customers all of the time sending me emails asking how I did this or that and I can HELP them because I actually do this. If you can't offer assistance, why not just show the kit on the box since that's ALL you can do is offer the kit.? :ohyeah:

She is 100% wrong about the pics being public and she could use them anyway!! She still apparently doesn't know about copyrights. At some point she may get an expensive lesson if she doesn't wise up.

Kathy

If someone nicely asks me, then so long as they state that it is my house, I would be inclined to let them use them.

A while ago I posted about an ebay seller who not only asked if she could include photos of my dollhouse in her listing, but gave credit to me for my work.

On Friday there was a lovely surprise for me in my mailbox. She sent me a doll that she had dressed in a lovely crocheted outfit and wrapped in an afghan that she had made herself. It was a thank you for me letting her use my dollhouse photos.

I wrote to thank her and sent her a photo of my other dollhouse (with a photo of the baby doll she had sent me). She e-mailed and asked me if she could also use this photo in her listings. She's very thoughtful.

The seller told me that as my dollhouse rooms are furnished (and in the correct scale) it compliments off her dolls, bassinets and outfits.

-Susanne