Houseboat in half scale

KathieB

WOWZERS Kathie! I knew you were building the houseboat in half scale but today I finally took the time to read this whole post. I am speachless :D You have done something that not many people would be able to accomplish. You never cease to amaze me with your talent. Love it, love, it love it!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd finish the base today, but the annual visit with the eye doctor intervened. All is well with my eyes physically, but lens prescription changed enough to warrant new glasses. No wonder I've been squinting lately! Anyway, got started on the shoreline. More in my blog.

I put the boat on the base temporarily so as to have some context for the landscaping. The Plexiglas still has its blue film, which is now over sprayed with stone texture paint. That will come off when the base is finished, so the water will be clear.

The base is finished and the boat is floating happily amid the dunes. More photos in my blog. Only a couple more things to do ... mooring lines and water critturs ... and Mrs. Bulrush can move the family back aboard. :(

• 1 month later...

Kathie....Your boat is amazing, as is all your projects. The deadline for the contest is getting close. Yours looks like a winner to me. I would hate to be the judge of this contest. Best of luck.

Steve

(I've been off a while....computer trouble !)

Thanks, Steve. I was jolted to see that my last post on this was 6 weeks ago. That's 6 weeks since I've touched the boat! Real life intervened, but this weekend I'm planning to finish it up and get the photographs. Still have to make some polyclay fish. That will happen today. It would be a shame to let Junior languish on deck with no hope of catching anything. Then, I think, I'm ready to do some serious picture-taking.

Four photos ... aaarrrrggghhhhhhh

After a strange event with the Fimo, four fish added to the water, including one about to take Junior's fishing lure. (It will be attached to his line.) Here's a tease ... more photos in my blog.

Four photos ... aaarrrrggghhhhhhh

Choosing which four is definitely the hardest part!! I keep thinking, "but I wanna show them this.........and that........and you can only see this really cool thing up close........." This is the first time I've entered and narrowing it down to just four pictures isn't easy! I've been dithering for days over it.

Steve, I totally agree with you. I think Kathie has this one all wrapped up. But I dunno how she's going to choose just four pictures either!

Deb

Yesterday I spent most of the afternoon dusting and cleaning and putting the furniture and accessories back into the houseboat. So many little bits and pieces! Anything that can move is tacked down with wax so we can turn the boat without upsetting the applecart. (How's that for a mixed metaphor? :( )

I can think of only one thing I'd add ... a silver-and-gold tabletop decoration for the little table in the ballroom. Hmmm .. shouldn't take long to make one from beads ...

Today I'm going to staple a light blue bedsheet to the ceiling to use as a backdrop. The photographic process begins!

Y'all have seen the progress, but now I'm going to hold off on posting any more photos until after the contest deadline. All in all, I'm pleased with the result. And if Ernie's crew picks a flotilla of well-aged swamp boats over the Lily Pad, I won't be disappointed. This has been a grand adventure all the way! :wave:

Hey Kathie.....I haven't heard anyone else making the houseboat for the contest ! I wonder if they are just holding off until the contest deadline. I'm anxious to see the entries.

Steve

I know Nutti is working on one, 'cause I've seen it in person. And others have mentioned they're working on it, so I'm hoping we'll have a great unveiling on Dec 15.

Meanwhile, I took 168 photos yesterday, and the Fab Four are not among them. I'll make some adjustments to the staging area -- like putting more distance betwen the boat and the backdrop -- and try again today.

:)

MEMEMEMEMEME

I am doing one also...it is thisclose to being done and for me to take the photos...

2 of the ladies from my mini group are also doing one...theirs are finished also.

today I am doing the upper rails.

I love my houseboat! :drool:

nutti :hide:

I can hardly wait to see the scenes finished! It will be a drool feast for sure around mid December around here!!! Hmmm, you think it is in-appropriate to save a small bottle of bubbly for the event???? :p

Hugs

I had another go at photography today after rearranging the lights, backdrop, etc. I think I got some keepers. I'm not going to try to put a background in photographically. There is so much detail in the boat itself, that I think anything but a plain background will make it harder to see.

I've taken more than 300 pictures and have 53 of them to winnow down to four. I think I'll make something with wine in it for supper tonight. :p

Ohhhh, and we will be counting down with you for sure Kathie, I am soooooo looking forward to all the unveiling and sharing all the lovley eye candy!

Hugs (and I am also sooooooo happy that I am not one of the judges!!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't mean to leave the unveiling until the 11th hour, but life intervened. Nevertheless, the last entry in the blog has been posted ... tour of the Lily Pad HERE.

Anna, do you recognize the flag? :)

Ahhh, yes I do recognize that flag :) It fits perfectly there doesn't it???

Kathie, it has been a true pleasure to have visited your blog and read the story about the Lily Pad, thank you for sharing it!

Hugs

Kathie, words fail me. It's not often that I'm speechless, but I don't think I can find words to describe just how much I love this house! Every little detail, every concept, every teeny bit of it is pure delight. You are an artist and a genuine miniature hero.

Deb