Houseboat in half scale

KathieB

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the bullrush family from calico critters/Sylvannian families? How big are they are they the right size for the scale of the greenleaf dollhouse? If so I think I may have to buy a family for my daughter and build her her own greenleaf she has been asking for a calico critters family. She is ten but she loves minis just like me. Great work on the boat house by the way, very inginuitive of you! Did you hear about the man that built a real Noah's Ark in Holland? That must be the biggest dollhouse in the world! HAve fun! :monkeydance:

are they the right size for the scale of the greenleaf dollhouse?
Kathie is bashing her houseboat into 1:24 scale, which is the scale of the Fairfield kit, and the Victorianna (if it's ever re-released, HINT!!!, Dean). Most of theGreenleaf & the Corona Concept houses are at least nominally 1:12 scale, so Kathie's froddies would be 'way too little for most of the line. That said, the Sugarplum or the Buttercup or some of the other smaller houses can also be bashed into 1:24 scale, Arda.

Kathie, the Bulrush family manse is really beginning to come together!

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. Now the fun is really beginning!

Yes, the Bullrush family is Sylvanian. Capt Bullrush is about 3 inches high, which makes him a 6-foot-tall frog in 1:24 scale. He and the family are a tad oversized for this project, but I like the effect. Fantasy is fantasy, eh? :monkeydance:

Next time I take pictures, I'll include the family members so you can see them "at home".

Remember, though, scale is relative, and a lot of it is in the eye of the beholder. Teresa's White Orchid is the home of 3 blind mice, who are probably about the height of the Sylvanian adults. They look right at home in 1:12 scale.

3 Blind Mice at Home

Had fun staging the lower deck today. The floor plan is continuing to evolve; the pantry is gone. The parlor is larger and more easily seen.

Stained the floors that needed staining and the shelves & door in the library.

More photos in my Blog, including shots of the Bullrush Family inspecting their new home.

Ps...The pictures on your blog are great. I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. You had mad a fimo meal and you said that you could cut the cake after it had been baked what did you use to cut the cake? I am trying to improve on my polymer skills. I have a book that shows you how to make mini food and it says to bake the cake for half the time and then cut it and then bake it for the remainder of time. But, my cakes always end up squashed when I do this. And how hard was that roast?I have a leg of lamb in my book that I have not tried yet because I am afrid. It looks very difficult.

Ps...The pictures on your blog are great. I was wondering if you could answer a question for me. You had mad a fimo meal and you said that you could cut the cake after it had been baked what did you use to cut the cake? I am trying to improve on my polymer skills. I have a book that shows you how to make mini food and it says to bake the cake for half the time and then cut it and then bake it for the remainder of time. But, my cakes always end up squashed when I do this. And how hard was that roast?I have a leg of lamb in my book that I have not tried yet because I am afrid. It looks very difficult.

I made the food items in a class. Making things seems easier in a class, I think, but it really wasn't very hard. The instructor had the colors premixed, so we didn't learn anything about that part. The putting together wasn't hard with her giving step-by-step instructions. I have a book, too, but haven't ventured out into the mini grocery department yet.

For the cake, we mixed sand into the Fimo, to give it texture. We made it whole and didn't get around to cutting it until we got home and the plumber's caulk "frosting" had plenty of time to dry ... several days. At her recommendation, I sliced it with a new razor blade. It worked very nicely.

For the carrots, we baked the orange "snakes" or patties and used a razor blade to cut them into slices or dices when they cooled.

Go ahead and bake one completely, let it cool, and then have at it with a new razor blade. What's the worst that can happen? :)

Thanks for the answer. I think I haven't mad a meat item yet just because of the colors it lists to mix. I have seen a couple more food books I think I will purchase to appease me until my husband's OT check comes and I can purchase a house. It looks like it's out of the budget until then BOO HOO. :blush:

Kathie, I'm truly enjoying watching your houseboat come to life. Although I know how much planning it has taken, you have made it seem like such an enjoyable project. Can't wait for the next segment.

kathie, this is so great!! love the family as they tour the project, and it is looking super.

thanks for the updates!

:blush:

• 2 weeks later...

A few photos of recent progress have been added to the blog. The entryway/foyer is going to be elegant with the tile floor and Ionic columns. The columns will probably have a faux wood finish. The columns in the ballroom will be faux marble, I think. I need to find the lighting fixtures so I can add the electricity to this deck; they hid during the most recent workshop organization. I'd like to have this deck electrified and decorated before I put the next deck on.

Progress report ... some decoration and electrification accomplished yesterday. I like the way the tissue paper "marble" turned out. :yes:

Tool of the hour: hair dryer. Helps move along the painting and gluing! More pictures in my Blog.

OK, the parquet floor is awesome, the marble turned out exquisite (you doing the columns to match?) and where did you find those gorgeous panels? printies or scrapbooking?

Of course now you're going to have to strip your frogs and re-dress them in equally gorgeous Georgian clothes. I can see Mr Bulrush in a powdered wig and Mrs B in a Marie Antoinette coiffure, the little ones in knee breeches with tiny buckles on the sides...

OK, the parquet floor is awesome, the marble turned out exquisite (you doing the columns to match?) and where did you find those gorgeous panels? printies or scrapbooking?

Of course now you're going to have to strip your frogs and re-dress them in equally gorgeous Georgian clothes. I can see Mr Bulrush in a powdered wig and Mrs B in a Marie Antoinette coiffure, the little ones in knee breeches with tiny buckles on the sides...

The parquet flooring came already put together; got it half price at a dollhouse shop outside of Chicago. The panels came from TinyTique, some ladies who sell miniature wall and floor treatments and cloth only at shows. I bought it at the Bishop show in Chicago, but they were also at the NAME show in KC last fall.

I'm going to try to match the columns, but it will be a different process from what was basically a color wash on tissue paper. I tried putting some tissue marble on the columns, but it messes with the fluting and other details. It will have to be painted on.

As for the Bullrush family ... roflmao!!

tissue marble on the columns, but it messes with the fluting and other details.
Hmm. Even if you laid the tissue on in strips and used a dampened/ wet Q-tip to work the tisue into the fluting & bends of the capitals?
As for the Bullrush family ... roflmao!!
Actually I was serious about redressing them to match their surroundings' elegance...

Hmm. Even if you laid the tissue on in strips and used a dampened/ wet Q-tip to work the tisue into the fluting & bends of the capitals?Actually I was serious about redressing them to match their surroundings' elegance...

Yes .. I tried wetting the tissue. Oh, well, I'll find a way.

And I KNOW you were serious. That's what sent me rolling on the floor ... :yes: