Houseboat in half scale

KathieB

Hard to believe it has been so long since I updated the blog, but I'm happy to report that work has recommenced. Today I made a white "wrought iron" baker's rack for the bathroom and filled it with towels ... one would need LOTS of towels on a house boat! Finished off the bathroom mirror and hung it and draped a towel over the sail maker's bench in the bathroom. Also made curtains and valance for the parlor, made, stained and installed a window sill in the bay window in the parlor, made some life rings out of Sculpey (need to paint details on them), and generally futzed around hanging pictures, filling a tiny aquarium with resin water and making a stand for it and adding other little gizmos here and there.

I took pictures, but I'm too tired to unload the camera. Tomorrow ... I promise. :)

BTW, I was thinking to Photoshop a nice background for the contest entry photos, but Lloyd stopped by the table today to ask when I'm going to start making the shoreline and waves and rolling hills and ... I just looked at him. :lol:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOOO cant wait to SEEEEEE! and guess what Dave and Edna are here!!!

so now I can start working on my details!! :)

lots of fun and funny details!

cant wait to see you on the 13th.

so far it will be me and Catriona and my grandmother and at least one aunt but 3 are invited.

I am soo looking forward to seeing you and visiting the museum with you!

my aunts are making me show them how to make the glue flowers....Im so nervous usually its them who teaches me kewl stuff.

nutti :lol:

How neat that your aunts are interested in making as well as admiring minis! :w00t: I'm looking forward to seeing you on the 13th as well!

All right ... I've updated the blog with photos of the latest tweaking. My favorite shot is of the ship's model in the bay window. More in the blog.

More tweaking going on today. I'm getting my To Do list worked down to the point that I may well be finished by the end of the month. <typing with crossed fingers ... :D >

Here's a teaser ... the yardarm was added today (along with a foghorn and other goodies). And no, I won't tell you what the flags say. :) (The foghorn on the roof of the pilot house is all red ... the "snow" on top is a trick of the light.)

Today I made two gangplanks, built two gilt chairs for the ballroom, made a life vest and built a life jacket locker, hung the chains on the rail so the little froggies don't fall overboard, and fashioned a tablecloth for the dining room table.

My To Do list is shrinking. I may yet make my self-imposed end-of-the-month deadline. :p

That's not counting a landscaped/shore-scaped base. I decided tonight it really needs a base, otherwise the gangplanks are just sticking out into air! :p

Here's where I'm stuck: the boat still doesn't have a name! Suggestions welcome!!

Hey, Jennifer ... Lily Pad fits all of my criteria ... It reflects a frog house and it has 7 letters (lucky number for a boat name :banana: )

It's the leading contender. Thank you!

Holly ... thanks for turning toward Spanish names ... I've been thinking more along the French-Creole. Back to Babelfish to see what else might pop up in Spanish. :)

The Lily Pad it is! :banana:

The family has moved in. Junior is fishing off the bow ... made him a neat fishing rod yesterday. Mom is checking the mail. The captain is on the upper deck, watching Junior. And baby Moses is in his crib. I also made larger signal flags and the name plate.

Pictures to follow.

All right! October 1 ... and I made my end-of-September deadline if you don't count a few little things that still need to be done. As far as I'm concerned, the boat itself is done. A few more accessories maybe ... but all-in-all DONE! Of course, there's still the base to make, but I think I have a PLAN, and that's half of that battle. I just posted a lot of pictures in the blog. Here's one that shows Mother Lydia checking the mailbox.

I've been working on the base. I've made it from contractor's foam board and Plexiglas. Had to do some surgery on the pontoons to make this idea work. I have pictures in the camera. Will try to get some posted tomorrow.

As far as I'm concerned, the boat itself is done.

<pause in stunned silence> <standing and applauding> Kathie, that is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. Truly, truly, truly, you deserve the grand prize. I don't think anything can top what you've done.

Deb

I'm working on the base. It's coming along quickly. Some photos in the blog.

Yes, those are the keel sections of the pontoons in the "water".

Had to do a little surgery.

I had to empty the boat to tip it. I was amazed to see about 12 -13 rooms of furniture fit into three little boxes. There's something to be said for half-inch scale when it comes to storage. :ohyeah:

Adding details to the base ... a few more photos in the blog. I planted the lycopodium carefully, so it appears to be seaweed drifting with the current, all in one direction. :D Added a little sand on the bottom. The red on the pontoons is craft foam. It will cushion the Plexiglas and appear to be a painted waterline when the boat is in place. There's not much more to be done. Hope to finish it today.