double ouch!

ilovecats

I was working on my vineyard cottage this morning shaving off the sticky outy tabs and stuff, prepping the house for spackle....yep cut my hand with the exacto....i just got back from the ER, I have 6 stitches. zi feel like i hit the bone.

It was brand new blade so it sliced nice and deep really quickly. i'm typing with one hand cuz my other hand hurts like a bugger..

There goes all my great plans for the day...i was going to get alot done....bummer!

this is just a little reminder about tool safety...i'm getting rid of tthe exacto ....

i'm typing with one hand!

they didn't give me anything for pain, but i would have declined anyway, i don't like pain meds, i just took 800 mg of ibuprofen, so that should help some.

i'm just mad at myself for robbing myself of mini time

Ohh Marg!! I am so sorry to hear about your BIG Owie!!! Always cut away from you. I turn houses upside down, right side up, side ways and everything because you should always cut away from your body. I even sometimes jam the house inbetween me and the table so my arms and fingers won't be in the way as I cut.

See Ouch stories always make me even more nervous about power tools (Hubby supposed to buy me a scroll saw and I am scared I'll chop off a finger :blink: .

I hope you have strong pain meds!!!

!OUCH!

bummer! glad it was quick but gee wiz now we dont get to see any eyecandy! ;)

please be CAREFUL with these nasty tools.

what replaces an exacto knife?

nutti

does this mean you get to hang out at the forum all day?

:blink:

:blink: Aouch, aouch and big major aouch, so sorry to hear about your misshapp withthat exacto blade, no fun for sure!!! You take it easy now and let that wound heal up nicley beofre going at some new project!

Lots of hugs from someone who actually were forced, not just friendly en couraged, to have a first aid kit in the craftroom....

Oh Marg! I hope you heal quickly!

I learned years ago to respect razor knives. 4 hours of surgery (sliced nerves and tendons had to have microscopic surgery). It healed up like new. It only took once.

I have never been hurt by a power tool Tracy. I love my scroll saw and bandsaw. My sabre saw is permanately attached to my hand. Just pay attention and never reach accross a machine when it is on. I have seen more men get hurt....father cut off half a thumb (tablesaw), brother needed many, many stitches in thigh (circular saw), friend had all the fingers cut off by holding a board for someone (circular saw) and on and on...I have never met a woman who has been hurt. I teach women how to use power tools. (I have every machine and tool you can think of) So go for it!!

thanks for the well wishes EVERYONE! ooops had caps lock on but i do't want to retype the word ;)

i'll probably read more than type today on the forum...takes to long to type with one hand. i'll probably go watch a couple of movies!!!! :blink:

Nutti, i will buy a utility knife and use the exacto for more delicate easy work..

We have a dremel, but since andrew was sleeping, i didn't want to run it and wake him up....i ended up waking him up anyway so i should have just waited a couple of hours....iwas going to paint the bellingham...i should have started that project first. ;)

Hubby supposed to buy me a scroll saw and I am scared I'll chop off a finger
I only turn on my power tools when my wood is in positon. If I MUST manipulate wood through a cutting area I use a push-stick, never my fingers. I've done enough slicing & dicing not to respect what's left!

i'm getting rid of tthe exacto

It's not the Exacto's fault... But this is why I use a Stanley utility knife for cutting work. The Exacto handle has a habit of loosening (a real PIA when I'm trying to use the hobby saw) that brings up all sorts of hazards. The heavier trapezoidal knifeblade is locked into the steel handle firmly when you tighten that Philips head screw and the way you hold the knife to cut will make the blade retract if you try to force it (I don't, I just replace the blade). Do cut away from yourself. Maybe Andrew ought to take away all your sharps, Marg.

ow ow ow indeed! I hope you heal quickly and uneventfully. I'm always worried that I'm going to do that. I just got rid of a cheap fake exacto knife because it was dull, the blades were rusting, and I just didn't feel confident using it.

Take care of that hand...poor baby! :blink:

Poor You! That must hurt bigtime!

Can we kiss it and make it better?

post-76-1168202928_thumb.jpg

Seriously, keep that hand elevated as much as you can to reduce the swelling. Cross your arm over your chest and put your hand on the opposite shoulder. When you go to bed tonight put your hand up on a pillow.

Marg! Step away from the blades!!

You only have 10 fingers (you still have 10 right?)

Now I am going to be extra careful this evening with my Xacto while I take apart my E.R. ... I am just getting over this cough..I dont want to have another handicap.

Marg was it the same hand as last week? You poor thing, now you will have to sit and plan until it is all better. Enjoy a good book or good movie, your subdivision will wait patiently for you to return.

Marg was it the same hand as last week? You poor thing, now you will have to sit and plan until it is all better. Enjoy a good book or good movie, your subdivision will wait patiently for you to return.

*snicker*.....subdivision.... :rofl:

yes, the same hand.....and i just started using both hands afew days ago to wash my hair...now i'm one handed again. :D it happened when i was on the very last thing that i had to trim.

Marg -

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Please take care of yourself. I've always found snuggling up with a purring cat to be the best pain reliever.

-Susanne

:thumb: