My 'White Orchid' is Finished!

MiniMadWoman

Yep, you read it right . . . my 'White Orchid' is finished. I spent a total of about 12 hours yesterday and today. It went together like chocolate and peanut butter! I absolutely LOVE this material and wish I could get all my dollhouses made out of it . . . whatever IT is! :)

I've posted pictures in my gallery and I also blogged the process. Enjoy!

Your White Orchid looks great... As always I cant wait to see what you decide to do with it. Your mini-work just amazes me.

I cant wait to start mine but it scares me, the type of material it is made of and the fact there is no replacements. :) What type of glue did you use for it ?

:)

You've done what I would have done, left it in it's pristine white birthday suit. And it looks great. It's such a unique piece you don't want to hide it under paint and siding and shingles, you can do that with any Orchid.

oooooohhhhh ahhhhhhh...It's gorgeous Teresa!!! But then I'm not surprised because so is everything you do!! I can't wait to see your interior decorating! I am sitting on pins and needles with anticipation!! Great job and thanks for the eye candY!!!

Teresa, the finished Orchid is a dream to behold. The creamy, pearly finish is precious. It's interesting that although the house is white and smooth and satiny, it doesn't give off cold vibes. No ice palace this, but a warmly welcoming little house.

I can see small touches of color ... like tiny pink and lavender roses and pale green vining leaves ... almost like a wedding cake with pastel flowers. I can hardly wait to see how you and the others dress these little jewels.

Wow Teresa... When I read the title to this thread I said "What?" out loud! LOL

Now I feel a lil guilty. I have wallpapered the inside of my white orchid. I am not touching the outside though. I want that to stay the way it is.

Deborah, dont be afraid. I was at first but now I wish all my houses were made of this material. The only thing is it takes a lil more work to get the pieces popped out of the sheets. Because there are no replacements I work very gingerly to get them out. I am using Quick Grab glue for the body. I used Tacky Glue for the smaller pieces.

I will probably be done in a couple days myself but I am going to be making a checkerboard stenciled hardwood flooring so that will take more time.

Thanks everyone!

I am going to be turning this house into a 'Winter Fairy Fantasy'. I am leaving the outside 'as is' except will be adding some sort of shingling and a little bit of frosty landscaping. The interior will be left 'as is' except I am going to be adding some frostiness to it in the form of crystal and whatever else frosty comes to mind! :) I have a little 'winter fairy' doll picked out (because my houses 'have' to have dolls) and when I can, I'll order her.

For now, though, I'm happy just to admire the house 'as is'! It's a beauty!

I cant wait to start mine but it scares me, the type of material it is made of and the fact there is no replacements. What type of glue did you use for it ?
Deborah, my preference would have been to use the glue Tracy suggested called 'Quick Grip', but I couldn't find it so I used 'Goop Household Contact Cement and Sealer'. It worked very well. I blogged my process so have a look. Don't be afraid . . . just be careful! :)

Teresa, the finished Orchid is a dream to behold. The creamy, pearly finish is precious. It's interesting that although the house is white and smooth and satiny, it doesn't give off cold vibes. No ice palace this, but a warmly welcoming little house

Kathie, you're so right about that! Despite it being pure white, it gives off a very warm feeling. I sure hope it doesn't melt my 'frosty' design! :wub:

It is gorgeous, Theresa!! And perfect timing to answer a question of what some pieces in my Orchid are. I was trying to figure them out and couldn't find anything about them, but I saw them in yours so now I know. :)

Thanks for sharing!!

Carrie

I be dumb....can ya direct me to the blog and pics of this?? Pleaseeeeeeeeee?

~Bobbi

Look at the top of the page - click on GALLERY - then look for the sub-topic, for this year's Halloween Madness Contest (2006) - click there, and you will see the listing for MiniMadWoman's photos.

Teresa, your White Orchid is lovely! How did you put it together so quickly?

I absolutely LOVE this material and wish I could get all my dollhouses made out of it . . . whatever IT is! :)

Your house looks sharp Speedy! The material is a lightweight closed-cell rigid PVC sheet know generically as Sentra. We've been die cutting this material for decades for applications outside the miniature industry and one day decided to try it on the Orchid. That was almost ten years ago and the kits never really saw the light of day. We decided not to push forward with them since we've found that most people prefer wood. This was around the same time that a couple of manufacturers started replacing plywood with MDF which is a much lest expensive material than wood. I was expecting to see that saving passed along to the consumer and since Sentra is way more expensive than wood, I figured it would be priced out of the market.

One of the unique qualities of this material is that it works great in outdoor applications. I'm not sure how the windows would hold up, but the house will endure anything mother nature might throw at it including UV rays. Using it in a porch display with the pumpkins is a perfect example of it potential. Of course it's primary use is for indoors, but it's great that it can pull double duty.

I'm interest to hear what others think as they move forward with their White Orchid's. Maybe I underestimated this material or just over estimated the value of good old fashion wood. Either way, I can't wait to see what everyone does with their houses.

Thanks for sharing Teresa!

Dean

Thanks for the history, Dean.

I'm wondering about wiring a house made of Sentra. Will it accept and hold brads and grommets? And are the pieces as rigid as plywood or more flexible? And what about paint? What would work best on it?

How neat to be in on discussion of cutting edge technology in dollhouses! :)

Wow. We have garden trains and finding houses is sometimes a problem. The white orchid is too big in scale, but this material would be great for one. I would also like to hear about what kind of paint can be used and how it should be applied. I also have plans for any scrap that is leftover now that I know it can be used outside.

Teresa,

I LOVE your White Orchid! The gingerbread details all look so crisp and clean! Seems as though the building went like a dream, and the final result certainly IS one!

Wonder why this material was dropped from production? Wonder if Dean could find any more?? Hint, hint???

Eagerly awaiting further reports, such as painting, electrifying (something I would like to master) and wallpaper applications.

:wub:

I can see small touches of color ... like tiny pink and lavender roses and pale green vining leaves ... almost like a wedding cake with pastel flowers. I can hardly wait to see how you and the others dress these little jewels.

What a wonderful picture!

Teresa -

Terrific! The White Orchid is truly beautiful. Thank you for putting it together so quickly so that we could all see.

-Susanne