Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Thanks Shannon, I will take a look at the Majestic Houses!

Emily and Valerie, this purple house is awesome! thanks a lot for thinking of it and showing it to us! I would love to find and build this house, it is what I am looking for! Love it! The one on Etsy is beautiful, but way out of my budget.

Now, to look for a dollhouse like the purple one, what do we search for? rowhouse, brownstone, painted lady? san franciscan?

Here is something I don't understand. 

This is a listing for various mini building supplies, kits, furniture, etc.  It ended last night with no bids, starting at $55 or buy it now at $120.  I almost bid, but decided it wasn't for me.  The seller has now relisted it at $150 buy it now, with best offer option.  Huh? :huh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Huge-VTG-Miniature-Dollhouse-Furniture-Lot-Mostly-New-Rare-HTF-Flooring-Windows-/391568745290?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

That stuff isn't really special enough - a lot of it is rather cheap - I'd make an offer of $20 (with shippin!) to help reality set in.  I'm not trying to be mean, I just think they are not being realistic about miniature collectors frugal habits when it comes to cheap stuff. Or they don't know what they have.  It is like that seller who has a starting bid of $40 on a dollhouse doll I got online for $8. If I can currently get it for $8, then I'm going to offer that seller $4. That is a far cry from $40. I want a deal if I am going outside of a reliable shop. Now if it is something that is truly rare or hard to find, then sure...let the games begin. It goes both ways of course - they don't what they have and price it low (a Lawbre or a great OOAK build house) or they have an overstock (those horrible giant fiber board Barbie sized Costco dollhouses that are a dime a dozen on Craigslist) and they want $100...when it won't even move for free.

• Like 1

I've been seeing that a lot lately on Craig's List and eBay. A lot of dollhouses and miniatures are so overpriced. So many sellers have an inflated idea of what their stuff is worth. Worse, they never look to see if the same item is selling at a lower price. I've seen something posted as "rare and hard to find" when there were THREE of them listed by different sellers.

What a lot of sellers don't understand is people go on those sites to find a bargain, not pay retail prices. I know how much a lot of that stuff sells for retail and I remember how much it has or hasn't sold for in the past. So when I see a certain house, I automatically know what I'm going to pay for it and I include shipping as well. As shipping has gone up, I really haven't raised my price expectation and I know that's hurting a lot of the sellers. But I refuse to spend $20 for a house I think is worth only $20 and then spend another $10 or $20 for shipping. I don't expect to get anything for free, but it's the same thing I do when I'm going to travel anywhere to pick up a house. If it's in Portland, for example, I have to add at least the cost of one tank of gas to the price, plus the wear and tear on my car. Some houses are worth it, most aren't.

• Like 2

I have the exact same feeling. I think I outgrew the impulse shopping, and lately I find myself analyzing more what I get. I don't go far anymore for a bargain if I don't really want it or I think it will not resale fast if I decide not to keep it down the road. I have seen very good deals for houses and furniture around here, but I know that most likely I will not be able to keep them nor I will be able to find them another place unless I give them as gift or sale them cheaper than what I paid for them. I rather save my hard earned money for something truly rare and hard to find, something that I want badly and that I can keep, something that I am certain I will be able to re-sale to recover my cost at least or something that I don't mind giving away because I got it with a very good deal. Did I sweat the fever or is this another step of the mini-world?

On another topic, I would like to know if the Duracraft Queen Anne kit could work to be bashed into one of the brownstone/painted lady/rowhouses?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-wood-new-and-unsued-Dura-Craft-Queen-Anne-Dollhouse-/112137360986?hash=item1a1be8565a:g:xQAAAOxyOalTZR2z

I was recently shopping at an antique mall and I mentioned to the proprietor that I was there mostly searching for dollhouses and accessories. Her eyes lit up and she grabbed me a big grocery sack. She seemed so happy that she found a perfect match to what I wanted...she says, "I'll let the bag go for about $100." I opened the bag, and it was all garbage plastic junk. Not even in any particular scale. I think I offended her by dropping it like a hot potato. But seriously, thats a lot of money. What are they basing their prices off of?

41 minutes ago, Scarlybees said:

I was recently shopping at an antique mall and I mentioned to the proprietor that I was there mostly searching for dollhouses and accessories. Her eyes lit up and she grabbed me a big grocery sack. She seemed so happy that she found a perfect match to what I wanted...she says, "I'll let the bag go for about $100." I opened the bag, and it was all garbage plastic junk. Not even in any particular scale. I think I offended her by dropping it like a hot potato. But seriously, thats a lot of money. What are they basing their prices off of?

If that plastic "junk" was Renwal or one of the other brands popular in the 1940s on and intact/ clean it's a collector's gold mine.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If that plastic "junk" was Renwal or one of the other brands popular in the 1940s on and intact/ clean it's a collector's gold mine.

I was able to get a lot of Renewal furniture for very little money off ebay. It is lundby sized and very well made. I got the awesome bathroom set for $5, several kitchens and diningrooms for well under $10. I also accumulated some wonderful vintage wooden Strombecker pieces (a lot actually) for very little money. I'm no bargain hunter - I wanted the furniture and I found it for very little on ebay. Mind you, I LOVE these pieces and I think they are worth much more than I paid for them...but I am not kidding myself about ever selling them for what I think they are worth. I mean I could try, but I know I won't see profit from selling them. But I am thrilled and very happy with them and when I pass away someone will find them at Good Will and hopefully realize what they are getting for their $3 grab bag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scarlybees said:

I have seen some real junk being passed as collector items, too. I try to give the benefit of the doubt that the person is just unaware how things work in the mini collecting world. Also, a great comparison is a Miniature show - there is no junk there. Seriously - I may not love everyone's offerings, but I have yet to see anyone offering junk. Now my city has a smaller show so maybe it is different at bigger shows? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scarlybees said:

I wish! But no, it was all some hogde podge of who even knows what. Really junky lol. Maybe thats what she was trying to pass it off as!! :doh:

I love it when I see Fisher Price plastic  Loving family stuff stuck in with Melissa and Doug overstocked furniture and someone labels it "vintage".  Or the fisher price bathroom sets which are so tiny. "$150!" 

Well sure, maybe the 90s are vintage now (pffffft!!?!?!), but that is no miniature collector selling those bundles of found items.

• Like 1

Quick ebay story:

I was looking for a Strombecker wooden kitchen set on ebay. I found several but they were overpriced (again - I am not good at bargain hunting when I really want something, but I know what is and isn't fair) - and lo and behold I found a wonderful kitchen AND bathroom set for a great price. So I bought it...and when it arrived it had this very elaborate certificate saying it was from Patti MacLeod's collection. I had no idea - it was a pretty low price for what I thought was a great set of Strombecker. And I always loved Capt. Stubing. So it was a win win.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, minilover62 said:

On another topic, I would like to know if the Duracraft Queen Anne kit could work to be bashed into one of the brownstone/painted lady/rowhouses?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-wood-new-and-unsued-Dura-Craft-Queen-Anne-Dollhouse-/112137360986?hash=item1a1be8565a:g:xQAAAOxyOalTZR2z

I think the shape of that house is too different from what you're trying for. You'd want something like the Queen Anne Rowhouse by American Craft (this is what the purple house is, and also the house in my avatar) or the Buckhead Townhouse by Majestic Mansions (I linked to the 1" version, but it also comes in half scale). If you're looking to bash, maybe the Tennyson?

For bashing, I think you'd want to start with something that has the same basic shape -- a rectangular, three story house with a triangle at the top and a two-story bay window underneath the triangle. San Francisco row houses are tall and skinny, often with flat side walls (no bump-outs, side additions, etc.) since the houses are attached or very close together.

Sometimes scratch build dollhouses of this style turn up on Craigslist, too (here's one that a Greenleafer ended up buying). I always try to post here when I see something like that...

EDIT: That Craigslist dollhouse I linked to was signed Fred Davis. Here's another Fred Davis house in the San Francisco rowhouse style: https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/8277956

19 hours ago, minilover62 said:

I agree with Emily.  That front raised sidewalk on the Buckhead could easily be left off and then add to the existing stairs or use some other stairs and the house, in my opinion, would look much better.  Also, that trim with the designs they use on their houses could also be replaced with much better looking trim.

Emily, those Fred Davids are beautiful. I guess I will need to keep my eyes open and hope for one of this houses or kits to show somewhere that I can grab it. I found this one that is like I want it, but it is in 1:48 scale http://barnardbuilt.com/p/9029541/148th-painted-lady-v1.html

The Buckhead I would leave as last resort. Bashing would be last option also. My goal is to find one as Emily pointed, skinny, with multiple porches, lower floor garage and ideally double long staircase on the front. Thank you both for your ideas!

P.D. this Sid Cooke is also pretty but not exactly my ideal..http://maplestreet.co.uk/cooke-cooke-highgate-dolls-house-p-735.html?osCsid=b8l3mk527n9af4bmhqb8qdhgf0

Those Sid Cooke houses are nice! Maple Street has a few 1:24 components I haven't seen around before, that I want to grab for my stash. Thanks for posting the link.

Not sure if this has been posted before, a finished Lolly's Citadel: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Dollhouse-The-Citadel-Pre-Built-and-Electrified-1-12/302080832841