Pepperwood Farm House -- Need advice, please?

Good afternoon,

I found your site about six months ago when I started considering selling the brick-red Pepperwood Farm house my father made for me in the 70s. Like I said, it's brick-red (instead of yellow), each brick was laid individually, the parquet floor was done by hand, and -- each room is individually wired for electricity with individual outlets for lamps. It's absolutely gorgeous. But I had no kids, and have no siblings (so no nieces/nephews). Rather than let it keep sitting in the closet, wrapped in plastic, I thought of selling it.

Dad and I would much prefer to sell it to a collector or someone similar in whom we can have faith to take good care of it. I saw a Pepperwood Farm house on eBay for $2,950, but it wasn't nearly as intricately handcrafted, and it didn't have the individual room wiring.

Can anyone with ideas on how to sell this house please reply?

(i.e., where to post, how to find a collector to buy, how to ship, etc.)

Many thanks,

- Angela

It's just sitting in a closet? Good Lord, woman, I'd have it sitting out where I could play with it at least a little bit each day (especially if my dad had made it for me and was still living!)! Oh, well, you might try finding a broker who specializes in dollhouses and artisan miniatures to handle getting an appraisal and selling it for you.

I also saw that house for $2,950, and while it is a nice house, I would be surprised if they get many serious shoppers at that price. Years ago, I used to see this house advertised a lot, but I never saw one in person. I knew after seeing this that I definitely wanted a farm house.

Yep, with those prices on eBay and Craigslist always keep in mind that the seller can ask whatever they want, but the house is only worth what someone will pay for it. ;) (And unless someone's willing to pay megabucks to have it shipped, your buyer pool is going to be limited for a house of that size... e.g. local pickup.)

I second the suggestion to seek advice at a miniature shop, if you have one nearby. Some stores might even sell houses on commission. If you tell us where you're located people might be able to offer you suggestions about where to take it.

Oh, is this the house you're talking about? Uh, yeah. Priced way too high for the condition. Honestly I'd say this one is too high, too. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for either of those houses. :o

Since this is a house anyone could build from plans, as opposed to a limited run from an artisan, I think any price you come up needs to be driven by how well it's finished and its condition, not based on the "name" of it being a Pepperwood Farm. (In other words, what other people are asking for the same model of dollhouse isn't necessarily going to be indicative of what you could get for yours.)

• Like 2

I hear ya, HavanaHolly -- I have felt guilty for not ... um, "playing" with it (?). But I'm 43 years old, and I quit playing with dolls and doll houses when I was about 12. It never became a hobby of mine, so yeah ... now, it's just preserved in a closet. I don't have a house of my own, or perhaps I'd have room to display it. I have an apartment, and there's no room for that kind of display space (it's huge -- about 4' high, and appx 30" x 30" footprint.

Thanks, fov and HavanaHolly.

I checked, and the only Dallas-area miniature shop (Through the Keyhole) went out of business earlier this year. I wouldn't mind paying for shipping (or taking money off the selling price) if I knew it was going to a good place where someone was going to take care of it.

Hello Angela, I think the problem with houses in that price range is that people pay these high amounts for either a known artisan, museum quality, truly one of a kind or antique.

Well made does not necessarily realize prices that high. Give it a try.

Another possibility is - take pictures of it - and I mean lots with details. We can point out flaws (if there any) that others might not see - that can influence price. We see gaps where someone who doesn't do minis won't see.

Oh, is this the house you're talking about? Uh, yeah. Priced way too high for the condition. Honestly I'd say this one is too high, too. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for either of those houses. :ohmy:

Good heavens, both require an awful lot of work... I agree, way overpriced IMO...

Angela, I sell a lot of my houses on Ebay; however, mine are not family heirlooms. I build to sell. I agree with the ladies above, you may want to find a shop who may take it on commission for you. Or even an "antique" shop....

I'd love to see pictures of yours if you have them. It looks like a lovely floor plan.

Good point, Kelly. Someone browsing in an antique shop or consignment shop might actually be willing to pay more than someone who frequents a miniatures shop or trolls eBay.

I remember watching an auction show on TV a few years ago (I think a few of us saw it and talked about it at the time) where this dollhouse that was nothing special sold for hundreds of dollars because people got so excited about bidding on an heirloom to pass on to a daughter. A family looking for a special present/heirloom is going to have a different perspective than a miniature collector who knows exactly what the house is.

(Angela, I don't mean to suggest that your dollhouse is nothing special! Not having seen it, I have no idea. :lol: Just ruminating on different approaches.)

• Like 1

Antique shops are the way to go!! I just went in one the other day and the man told me he loves getting doll houses, because they sell really well. He told me he will call me when he gets another one. Estate sales companies are a good start too.

havanaholly is 72+ and I have always loved playing with my dolls and dollhouses, almost as much as making them.

A few weeks ago, my friend Ann and I were visiting a friend who recently built a dollhouse. Ann doesn't have a dollhouse, but she is into the hobby just the same and bought along her dolls because she thought I was bringing mine. The last time we were there I took my Holly Hobbie miniature dolls to see the new dollhouse.

As she took her dolls out of her purse, another friend said, "Didn't you two have dolls when you were a kid?" I told her I didn't have many dolls as I was more into stuffed animals, but Ann replied by reminding her how popular Beanie Babies were a few years ago, and since adults were paying hundreds of dollars for discontinued Beanies, we felt we could "come out of the closet" with our dolls. Odd enough, the friend who commented on our little dolls also said she would like a dollhouse of her own.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, our local shop (Through the Keyhole) just closed in March. There are shops in San Antonio and Houston though.

Through the Keyhole is out of business? Say it isn't so!!

And another brick & morter store bites the dust!

Angela- I have been working on a Pepperwood Farm House as well and would LOVE to see yours!! And yes, I totally understand why you don't have it on display - it is HUGE! I could barely fit mine thru my work room door! LOL Please take some pictures and post them! :)

My Pepperwood was donated to me to rehab - and it will eventually be donated to a children's cancer center or someplace similar. Mine was in rather poor shape, and the wiring was not fit to salvage. Yours sounds absolutely wonderful, so it would be difficult to give a price - like others have said- it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it! But I would def agree that checking into an antique store might be your best bet.

Whatever you decide to do - I wish you the best and hope that it eventually finds a new home and a "second life".

Pepperwood Farms are coming out of the woodwork! In case you missed these on eBay:

Priced at $3,199: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Pepperwood-Vintage-Doll-House-Wood-Excellent-Condition-/151355739024

Priced at $300 (and in better shape than the first one!): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Doll-House-/201128573172

And someone posted this in the Craigslist thread - for $50: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tag/4567846808.html

I feel like with the high priced one, maybe the seller saw the other high priced one on eBay and decided to go a little higher... but it's still not realistic. Actually as far as the work needed on the houses, the $3,199 house and $50 house look to be in the same league.

ps - Now that I've seen all these Pepperwoods, I'm kind of falling in love with this house! I wonder if anyone's ever built one in half scale?

They look an awful lot like the Greenleaf Laurel, don't they?

A Laurel on steroids (4 rooms vs. 10)? It does share a great Midwestern farmhouse look.

Ive seen one in person, its nothing like the Laurel, except that both are farmhouse style.

Angela, I think your best bet would be finding a dollhouse shop/antique to sell it on consignment. And be flexible on the price (sadly hard work doesn't always translate to $$$ in this hobby, especially with houses).