"The Miniaturist" on PBS Masterpiece Theatre

Cati

Has anyone seen "The Miniaturist" on PBS?  It is based on a novel by Jessie Burton, the story is set during the 17th century Dutch Golden Age, where a young girl marries a rich merchant who bequeaths her a beautiful dollhouse.  Without giving much away, it is a fascinating story full of intrigue, involving the dollhouse, the elusive miniaturist, and the dollhouse owner.  The production brought on Mulvany & Rogers to make the 17th dollhouse replica.  If you have not seen it, it is a good watch on a lazy afternoon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Carrie, the dollhouse is an exact replica of the house the family home. The miniaturist is an enigma in this story, she sends the young wife her commissions through the mail. The miniaturist also sends accurate models of people and objects of the mansion that one would need to have intimate knowledge of.  
This cat and mouse chase becomes the the crux of the story and the protagonist goes on a hunt to search for the miniaturist.  I've messaged you the ending.

• 5 months later...

I've read the book and aim to watch it sometime, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the video, so interesting, and the reminder - I think the movie will move up my to watch list. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Muriel, isn't the story great. 

The production hired bespoke master miniaturists Mulvany & Rogers to recreate the dollhouse and its contents. 
I really do admire their work and wish they would make a line of miniatures for us mere mortals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1