Glencroft Addition Opinions

jle5010

Hello All! I was curious if I could get some opinions on the addition I'm planning on adding to my Glencroft kit. I haven't received the kit yet (most likely early July) so I haven't been able to dry fit or take pictures to look at my plans. But I do have two additions in mind and wanted some opinions on them.

The first addition should be relatively straight forward as I would like to turn the intended kitchen into a formal dining room and then add a kitchen/conservatory room onto the left side of the house (when looking at the back). This doesn't require much changes other than replacing the window with a door and exterior decorations.

The other addition that I want to do is the one I am worried might be too much to tackle and was hoping for some insight from others who have built the Glencroft. I am hoping to add a personal library onto the right of the house. I have three tentative plans that I would like to try.

The first is to remove the bookcase on the first floor and replace it with a walk through doorway to the addition. This is by far my preferred choice, but I am worried that there is not enough "head room" as the bookcase goes under a portion of the stairs.

The second plan would be to bring a second small step of stairs down into the addition from the first landing. I loved that the stairs went up a small tight hallway, and was unsure if this would change the whole feel of the stairway from cozy cottage to something a little more grand (but maybe that would be okay too).

Finally the modification that I would least like to do would be to remove the first floor fireplace and place the walk through to the addition where the fireplace sat. (maybe I could do a new fireplace in the addition).

Once I have the kit in my possession I hope to be able to take some pictures during the dry-fit. But until then, was curious if anyone had some insight for the additions from experience with the house.

Thanks! I'm so excited to begin this build and although I don't want to wish away my summer, I really am looking forward to getting this gift in July!

• Like 3

No wonder you are looking forward to July, as I am happily excited just reading about your expansion ideas. I love the Glencroft exactly like it is, but your plans are very appealing to me.

Removing the fireplace would open up the place quite a bit, but I love that fireplace, so if you ended up doing this, I would definitely move the fireplace to the end wall of the extension. But I think if you keep the fireplace where it is and find the right door or archway to replace the bookcase, that would add to the enchantment of the house.

I think your second choice might be the easiest and most effective. However, if I added a second small step staircase to go into the addition, I would add a door to separate the two small stair sets. That way the feel of the original staircase would remain unaltered as there would just be a door where the window used to be. Also, with the door separation, the second set of steps wouldn't have to match the first set exactly.

Those are my thoughts, but whatever you decide to do will be fine. This is a small house with a lot of detail, and I think your ideas will compliment them well.

• Like 4

A lot would depend on how you do the extensions. Will you be scratch building them, which will make whatever approach you decide to try effective, or would you be bashing other kits; and if so, which ones? If I ever get to build another Glencroft I love your idea for the conservatory/ diningroom off of the kitchen! and I'd use two of the Greenleaf greenhouse kits. If you use the Primrose for the library addition, would you omit the second floor and have floor-to-ceiling bookcases? I love the idea of replacing the window with a door and steps, you could also make a balcony/ catwalk around the room for the second set of bookshelves and make little rolling ladders for each level.

Oh, Paula, I love what Robin did! That looks like she used a Primrose and moved the kitchen inito it, which would make the former kitchen the diningroom.

• Like 2

Maureen, I never thought of the doorway at the stairs. I was worried that I would have to go that way, as I really didn't want to change the stairway, but your doorway suggestion gave me some inspiration and if the bookcase removal doesn't work, I think I won't be too heartbroken.

Thanks for the link Paula, I had stumbled on Robin Carey's work before, and it is amazing. She made me feel confident that additions could be done without messing up the style and feel of the small cottage that the Glencroft has as is.

Holly, I have purchased two primrose additions in preparation for the changes. I think my father and I will free build the conservatory portion, as I haven't found exactly what I want yet. I'm unsure exactly what I am going to do in the library, I would love to have floor to ceiling bookcases go beyond the first floor, but I also want to keep the cozy feel of a cottage. I guess I will have to wait and see what feels right when I get I get everything all together, but I love the idea of little ladders to the second level.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, my best friends cottage style house had the coolest staircase (to me anyway). It was set very similar to the Glencroft original stairs. But it had another section. At the base of the stairs as they are currently in the GC, you would come down to a tiny area that went left and right to the bathroom and kitchen, respectively. At the lower landing (in the current layout) the stairs also made a U turn on the other side (as opposed to just the L turn) and it led down the other way into the living area of the house.

I adored this house - it was small but had lots of wonderful character qualities. The fireplace was positioned so the side edge was butted up against the landing area of the stairs - which if it was the GC, it would be the edge to the exterior of the house.

I'm sure I'm making this as clear as mud but I have no way to get pictures of the house to show you. It was torn almost completely down by later owners and rebuilt in a uber modern style. It has zippo character now. Just a plain gray box.

For your addition, you could make the U turn at the first landing that goes down towards the front of the house into your library area, leaving it open so it peaks folks intrigue as to what is over there.

Of course, you could make it a secret access but putting a revolving bookcase on that section of wall on the first landing - the kind that opens secretly and you never know there is another room out there. Mystery ...

• Like 1

Selkie, I am so sad to hear that the house you described was torn down. I like modern conveniences, such as air conditioning, electric appliances, and, of course, modern plumbing, but I love the older homes and wouldn't want to destroy a cottage effect.

Jaimie, I don't think any of the changes you describe will take away from the original feel of the Glencroft. If you keep the outside tudor to match the rest of the home and decorate all the inside rooms in a cozy style of your choosing, nothing will be lost. I also agree that you need to take your time to see what feels right, and I am sure Holly will back me up when I say, the house will tell you what it wants. :)

Alternatively, you could make your kitchen addition two-storey. Then you could put the library where the current bathroom is and the bathroom in the addition over the kitchen. This way your stairs, fireplace and bookcase would remain intact and the house wouldn't be so wide.

• Like 1

I like how Robin Carey used the original kitchen window in the new kitchen. In my Glencroft, you've got a little over 5 1/2 inches of space for a doorway where the bookcase is; but from what I've read, some of the doorways in English cottages can be pretty short. A short doorway would add to the cottagey feel.

• Like 1