Getting the Spring Fling Itch!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope not!

I won't work in that scale. I guess I'm a 1:12 scale snob.

I definitely hope it's not half scale, too . . . that limits a person too much in terms of cool stuff you can find to use. Like so many here, I work full-time and I just don't have the time to handcraft each and every item that goes inside!

I decided to enter the HBS contest this year -- been watching them for the last 15 years but never took the plunge. When I saw that little house it jumped off the page and into my heart, and told me exactly what it wanted to be! How can you resist that?

Now the bigger question -- enter two contests? Oh my. Maybe it will be something that I won't like -- well, that doesn't happen with dollhouses. Oh, dear, now you've got me curious and I can't wait till they announce the next one. :)

Would love to have a go this year - I chickened out last year, but still worried that I won't be able to complete to a deadline - got so much stuff on. I guess it depends on the kit - if you love it and can see its possibilities straight away, that's exciting. If it leaves you cold and you struggle to come up with an idea - well - should you enter???

ooooooooo everyone should enter :) its so much fun i got heaps of laughs out of the threads about...''am going to put.......on the..... and make it look like a .....'' :)

the excitement of just being involved was the best part i thought :flowers:

Would love to have a go this year - I chickened out last year, but still worried that I won't be able to complete to a deadline - got so much stuff on. I guess it depends on the kit - if you love it and can see its possibilities straight away, that's exciting. If it leaves you cold and you struggle to come up with an idea - well - should you enter???

Once I see the kit, if it doesn't "speak to me" right away, I simply burn a good mental image of it onto my brain, and then while I am at work, I let my mind wander to minis. Having the kit image in mind, sometimes something will come to me without me even having to push for it. I think that putting too much pressure on coming up with an idea can actually hold you back.

Absolutely (trust me on this) - with the last HBS contest I hemmed and hawed for most of the year - finally decided on some undersea ruins and started making coral and buying underwater plants. But the build balked at everything. Nothing was coming together. Then in August I completely revamped my idea, as it was apparently a butterfly garden all along, worked long nights there at the end (and with a lot of thanks to a good friend of mine who forced me to bring in progress pictures every day at lunch) I got it done, and it won! So case example, don't get discouraged!! And if you do, rise above it.

Absolutely (trust me on this) - with the last HBS contest I hemmed and hawed for most of the year - finally decided on some undersea ruins and started making coral and buying underwater plants. But the build balked at everything. Nothing was coming together. Then in August I completely revamped my idea, as it was apparently a butterfly garden all along, worked long nights there at the end (and with a lot of thanks to a good friend of mine who forced me to bring in progress pictures every day at lunch) I got it done, and it won! So case example, don't get discouraged!! And if you do, rise above it.

Jen,

I loved hearing your story! You really are so talented and I'm glad that you finished the project. It worked out so beautifully!!! I'm trying to get the courage up to enter something and begin selling on Etsy. I'll keep your words of wisdom in mind. :)

I say go for it, no matter what - it's always fun to be a part of the Spring Fling, whether you win or not doesn't matter (much anyway..lol)- we just all have fun throwing out hints about what we may or may not be doing :) , or just plain throwing tantrums 'cuz nothin' is goin' right (been there way too many times)- but it is all in good fun and always a blast. :) I have been coaxing and coddling my injured right hand for weeks now, telling it that it had better be in great shape by the time Fling rolls around or there will be h*** to pay..grrr :flowers: unfortunately Left hand has not picked up any slack during the down time, and grows dumber by the day I think. :angry:

at any rate, look forward to the Fling as always...it's like the clarion for Spring creativity to begin again

Jo, yes please join us this year!

You'll have a blast :)

Great encouragement guys. Consider me definitely in.

The fact that its a competition is not really relevant - I'm not that competitive, its just that competitions have deadlines and I'm scared of getting stuck in the "duh.. can't think of anything" rut and leaving a poor little kit unloved and unfinished. But - as you say, I'll rise above that and trust that I will turn "whatever it is" into "whatever I want it to be"

PS

This thought made me chuckle

Judges looking at my entry saying "er ,what is this exactly" - my avatar says it all really

Glad to see I'm not the only one getting the itch!!! I went through some papers to find out when I bought last years kit.. it was in March, hoping it was this month!!! I wanted something to take my mind off the winter blahs and what a way to do that!!! Can't wait!!

Great encouragement guys. Consider me definitely in.

The fact that its a competition is not really relevant - I'm not that competitive, its just that competitions have deadlines and I'm scared of getting stuck in the "duh.. can't think of anything" rut and leaving a poor little kit unloved and unfinished.

Last year a couple of the members didn't participate but offered to be a secret confidant to those who needed a little boost. It was done through PMs to that person who offered advice and encouragement. I thought it was a really neat idea.

A "hint" was dropped the other day in another thread ... apparently our dashing leader Dean has been focused on designing the next Spring Fling kit for ages! (Which explains why he hasn't been around the forum lately.) No other hints were given - or expected. It's always very hush hush before the opening announcement. :ohyeah:

I know. I also wonder if he feels daunted by the fact last year's kit was so awesome. The moment I saw the Loganberry Mill kit, I fell in love. Of course, I loved it even more after I saw all of the amazing interpretations that were put into place for it. That one sure did spark a wide level of diversity! I loved them all, and I still think that is one of the best overall "do anything with it" kits ever!