I bought this house from micheals

asherah

It's not a real stain. I mix a dab of chocolate brown into gel medium and stain with that. It goes on easy, dries fast, and will cover glue spots. I use it any time I just want a stain, not a paint. It's great!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spackle!I didn't worry about mine since I am covering the exterior walls with stone and the interior with plaster. But if they are sticking out, I sand them off. If you're going to just paint, fill the spaces with spackle and sand when dry.

I'm putting stone on this morning, will post pictures when I get it done. With such a small house, it goes pretty quickly, but you also have some tiny spots to cut stone for!

Who do you think I learned it from? I had to take the gable off, though. When I went to put the roof on so I could see how it looks, one side was about 1/8 inch lower than the other-and very obvious! So I took it apart, cleaned the spackling out, and will try it again when I'm not so tired. This is just set on there, but you can tell it's going to be lopsided!

By the way, this is not grouted yet, still one wall to do.

gallery_3692_2999_509795.jpg

Hello and goodmorning everyone. ;) A friend of mine mentioned that Michael's (the arts and crafts store) was featuring what appeared to be a half scale dollhouse and furniture. I remember years ago in California when Michael's regularly featured beautiful one inch scale dollhouses, along with furniture and I think... accessories, etc.

I couldn't wait to get off of work to go see what my friend was talking about, almost left work early. <_< Well I drove quickly to Michael's and excitedly asked the saleslady where the little dollhouses were (I thought she looked at me kind of queerly...they don't understand). But nevertheless, I found my treasure along with the furniture. Now the furniture I had purchased previoulsy back in 2002 or so from ToppDollar for my first halfscale dollhouse, the Fairfield, nope it is not finished :wub: but neither are 14 of my 15 dollhouses.

So you are wondering so why would I start another project? Well because I think I can actually finish this one in record time. I am supposed to be finishing the Lily for my sister, but I am kind of tired and it is taking soooo long, so lazy person as I am I have decided to try my hand at this little house. Attached are some pictures as I trudge my merry way. Thanks for looking!

dee in sunny sometimes hailing or raining or snowing smyrna near atlanta

post-246-1240820911_thumb.jpg

post-246-1240820927_thumb.jpg

post-246-1240821304_thumb.jpg

post-246-1240821365_thumb.jpg

post-246-1240821646_thumb.jpg

Hi Kathy, :idiot:

Sorry I did not see your response until after I figured out how to add pics! I did check out what others were saying at the discussion. Thanks!

dee in sunny smyrna near atlanta

Hi Sherry, :idiot:

Yes i am having a ball doing this house. I saw your house and actually would have bought that one, had they had it at the Michaels near me. I like the fact that the stairs are on the side rather than in the middle of the house, as I would make a spiral staircase for it. I really like the windows too.

dee in sunny smyrna near atlanta

Wow on your stonework, Sherry! It could be a wee bakery or some other kind of shop, with the little bay window by the door! Maybe a gnome haberdasher with an assortment of pointed hats & caps on display...

Well, my grandson has been coming up with ideas to decorate. He came home with a pocket full of tiny tiny gravel from the playground at school, and told me to make a mirror with rocks on it. He must have seen that somewhere, but how about that? I could be raising a mini-er! Of course, we will have a rock mirror! I told him we were going to decorate with things from the outdoors, so he found two acorns for me yesterday...they will be used somehow, also!

Dee, my friend! Where did you find your 1:24 person? Other than a John Belushi as Bluto in his toga I've only found a few Homies and they look closer to 1:30 thatn anything.

Thanks! I never tried to spackle anything! Your house is amazing! I punched out the parts last night and tried to fit them but some of this tabs don't seem to fit very well. I guess I need to sand them down etc. Should I seal the wood before I paint? The wood seems so thin and bendable. I have Patricia Nimocks matte sealer would that work? Sorry for all the silly questions. If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be so confused! Doesn't all that stone work bend the wood? Its beautiful, by the way!

some of this tabs don't seem to fit very well. I guess I need to sand them down etc.
You can also shave them shorter with your utility knife, since you'll be spackling over the slots once the glue & primer are dry.
Should I seal the wood before I paint? The wood seems so thin and bendable. I have Patricia Nimocks matte sealer would that work? Sorry for all the silly questions. If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be so confused! Doesn't all that stone work bend the wood?
I'm sorry you haven't yet learned that there are no silly, dumb or stupid questions here, Roxanne. If you seal or prime the wood it will help to keep it from warping; do let it dry on a flat surface. Sherry's "stones" are pieces of papermache like egg cartons and fast-food drink trays are made from. It doesn't matter if you seal the wood or prime it before you paint it, but do some kind of treatment to BOTH sides, and let each side thoroughly dry flat on a flat surface.

Thanks for the help! I need all I can get!

I looked at Dolores (?) pics and they will REALLY help me!

If I ever stop reading in this site and start working maybe I will actually accomplish something!

The egg carton bricks don't weigh much at all, but between them and the glue to attach them (I use mod-podge brushed on), it actually makes the wood stronger.

And yes, a few of the tabs don't line up as well as they should, that's why my gable was lopsided. I will actually have to glue it straight to the roof rather than the slots,to get it straight, and just fill the slots.

One other oddity I ran across that may be due to tabs and slots-with one floor only,the floor seemed warped, but when I added the second floor in the dryfit, the floor straightened out.

Since these are really just toys, you have to expect things like this. They are great fun, though!