I bought this house from micheals

asherah

WOOOOHOOOOO just got an email from pixidrea that she's sending me the Micheal houses! I will send her some extra 1:12 items I have here as a trade. I'm just bouncing with glee here!! Thank You so much!! :lol:

You are so welcome! I'm glad I could help out.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which house are you doing, the one with the covered front porch? I haven't opened that one yet, but as mentioned above, the slots on the roof for the front gable on mine are not right. I just cut the tabs off, filled the slots, and reglued the gable where it belonged. I guess little things like that are why these houses are only $8.

As for the tape, mine is not sticking really well, either. No telling on that, as paint sticks, so it's not oiled or anything. Just an anomaly of the particular wood they are made of, I guess. Plain masking tape will hold if you press it down firmly, blue tape doesn't at all.

I am doing the one with the front porch and 4 rooms. When I got it fit together it was kind of warped so I guess I will be cutting off tabs here and there also. I can't leave the pieces out because my crazy cat wants to "help" and makes a mess. He knocked it down twice so far. lol I hope it doesn't warp more when I try to paint and stain. I am still trying to think what I will do with the decor if and when I ever get it together. I should have made the other one first I guess. My problem is I want to do everything all at once like a kid. I thought these would be warm ups for my REAL dollhouse I hope to build. I am leaning toward a Haunted House the more I think about it the more I want to make that. If I mess up while building who will know? Tee hee

Hey Rox, ;)

Give yourself a break. My house had some problems meshing and so I had to make sure that everything was even on all four or both sides (not saying you didn't) and then I had to use a hammer (when all else failed) but that was when I was ready to glue. I realize now that I should have cut some of the tabs off, but alas you build and learn.

I cannot wait to see you and everybody elses rendition of the houses. Keep us posted and don't lose heart.

You sister in miniatures :yes:

I am just a rookie and the tabs don't seem to mesh very well....you get what you pay for...$8? :lol:

Roxanne everything will turn out Ok. I agree give yourself a break and then go back. That is usally what we do. I have started to paint mine and I put in the windows.

Val

i may head to michaels this weekend to see if mine has them...my 3 year old wants to build a house with me and this would be perfect, once she is done she could play with it....and if she tears it up i am only out like 15.00 total....perfect.....mommy may get one for herself too though.... :lol:

I'm going to go and get the other style as soon as I can! It's a great little kit - great price!

I've got the one with the small porch (not the one with the full front porch). I've dry fitted it, and now I'm starting to assemble it and decorate. So far it's going together really well. No wrapping or anything. Takes the paint well, the wood is very smooth, so not many coats or much sanding (thank goodness!).

I've decided on a beach-side cottage theme - it's for my 3 year son, so I don't want anything too girly! I'm having a job picking wallpaper though - decisions, decisions!!!

Thanks ladies...I get frustrated sometimes because I am an admitted perfectionist.

I sort of live in a dollshouse.......very mini house with lots of cuteness. I thought I might decorate this little house sort of like my own house....maybe...and then again....so many ideas, so much indecision.

:p

Sasha I grew up by the ocean and can't wait to see what you do with yours!

I finally popped the one with the big bay windows out and did a dryfit. My husband told me I should do that before I primered, so I could see what/where I wanted to paint.

Can I use acrylic paint on these walls, and Fxitif as a sealer?

If you're doing that one, be sure to check the gable carefully before gluing it down. Mine may have been cut wrong and the rest right but I doubt it. The slots aren't right and one side of the gable came out about 1/8 inch higher than the other, which is very obvious. I cut the tabs off and glued it on right, then filled in the slots with wood filler.

You will also discover that there is a big gap between the ends of the floor and the roof inside the gable. I'm going to put a window seat in the gable to cover it on the inside, and a beadboard ceiling on the porch to cover it from the outside. Just one of those things you have to work around.

Sherry- that's the house I'm working on. I was going to put a bench or bed in the area inside the gable, but hadn't thought of what to do for the underneath! I -think- my gable is actually correct, except it just seems like the angle all over is wrong- like it should slope downwards more. I'll check it later- I just tore the whole thing apart to sand and stuff. I'll probably stick it all back together again once I'm done in a second dryfit.

I've got an idea of how I want to paint things, which is good :lol:

I have some additional information about the Creatology Dollhouse with Veranda and Dollhouse Furniture Wooden Puzzles. The first time I saw them was on Gina's MoreMinis blog where she uses the same Dollhouse Furniture by Woodcraft. This dollhouse and furniture puzzles that Gina used can be found on the Miniature Dollhouse and More Website/Miniatures.com (it is not available from their Home Builder's Supply Catalog). click on these links for pictures. Check out the difference in prices! I got my Creatology Furniture and House with Veranda using 2-40% off coupons for $8.25 includes PA tax

MoreMinisBlog Furniture Kit

HBS furniture Kit

MoreMinisBlog Garden Kit

HBS garden Kit

MoreMinisBlog scroll down to finished Fairfield

These wooden puzzles are not limited to dollhouses, you can find them as dinosaurs, the Eiffel Tower, helicopters and the list goes on. The recommended age is 6+. My grand daughters are all excited about coming to MEMom's house to make their own dollhouses with me...

PS Thank you to Gina for writing your blog, Your informative blog has been a great help to me!

Barbara

Soooo :lol: would any of these beauties work with the 1/2 scale lighthouse???? :yay:

Hugs

You're evil!!! Now, I'm going to have to go back AGAIN, to get another one!!! Would make a great lighthouse keepers cottage!!!

You're evil!!! Now, I'm going to have to go back AGAIN, to get another one!!! Would make a great lighthouse keepers cottage!!!

:lol: hehehe... Well I will live through your creating this then!!! :yay:

Hugs

Well, I've been sick, but finally got up and did a bit on my house today. The roof is on, primed and ready to shingle. The inside is done-plaster, baseboards, etc. Still have to do the staircase and the door. I got the underside of the gable porch fixed, so the gaps don't show anymore, the stones grouted, and now I'm going back to bed for a bit. If I stay up too long, the family will think I'm well enough to cook!

Great to hear that you are feeling better Sherry, but do take it easy and don't overdo on "no fun" stuff (like cooking and cleaning) when you can try out your strenght on mini-ing :)

Hugs

Well darn. I shoulda read this whole thread (or at least farther than the first page!) before I went off to a new town 40 miles away to the nearest Michaels...where indeed I found the house and furniture kits..but didn't pay attention, thought the furniture was 1:12 scale, so bought that but not the house. Now I either have to go back and buy the house..not likely...or find someone else who wants the furniture kit in trade for something 1:12 scale. Accchh. Life is complicated sometimes.

I am sorry Ann that things didn't exactly turn out like you had intended, buuuuut, what about the 1/2 scale lighthouse :p it is such a great offer LOL and now you allready have furniture for it :) Yep, enabler is sort of a nickname for me LOL

Hugs

After reading through this thread I went down to Michael's and picked up both of these houses (both with 40% off coupons!) I like the one that looks like a little Arthur. The other one looks a bit strange to me but I figured for less than six dollars, why not. I will probably do the Arthur one first and will use some Houseworks siding on it that I have lying around. I also have some leftover shingles from the Fairfield, hopefully enough for the roof!

Not sure when I'll get around to this, but I'll post pictures when I do. I have a lot of half scale resin furniture that I'd like to use inside the house.