I bought this house from micheals

asherah

Sherry,

You probably already mentioned it, but what is the leaf rug made out of? Looks kewl!

You know, I bought two of the house with the long porch and you're right! Bashing them together might make a really neat house. I gotta think about that....

Here is my house progress for today-the gnome version of a staircase, or maybe of a fireman's pole! The rug is made of silk leaves with a fusible backing to hold it all together. I haven't decided about trying to make curtains. The gnomes are all manly men and lace might be too much for such an earthy house.

gallery_3692_2999_64883.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cardstock shingles are easy, just tedious. I traced over the shingle design on the roof, and made a template which I traced (took about 200) of them. Don't use the really heavy cardstock, or the real thin paperlike stuff-something in between. Then I just carried my bits of cardstock to school in a ziplock bag and cut whenever I had time. Then start at the bottom, just like you do with wooden shingles, and glue them down with modpodge. I used modpodge all over them so that they wouldn't be curling up or getting torn-they are really just decoupaged on the roof in layers. When done, you can seal with a spray acrylic sealer, or go on and glaze them the way I did mine with a mix of gel medium and a bit of acrylic paint in the color you want your glaze to be.

Depending on how dark you want the glaze, use anywhere from 1 part paint to 2 parts gel medium. My glaze is probably 1/3 and you can see how much it changed the color of the shingles. When you have them like you want them, spray the entire roof with a clear acrylic sealer-matte or glossy. It's a pretty durable roof when all that is done!

Dolores...I used the half scale stove/sink thing that came in that puzzle furniture kit. I don't like the way it was designed so I just did my own thing ( as usual). I used small washers for the burners, I save all the punch out pieces from the wood and made the stove and sink knobs from them and fudged a piece of plastic I saved from somewhere for the faucet. I cut a paper clip and painted it for the oven handle and da dah new arrangement! lol

I am going to do it again for the puzzle house I think.

Your gnome house with the tree stairs etc is really creative!

I was wondering if I used the sandpaper for shingles should I use the modge podge stuff or can I just glue them and spray? Trying to do things the cheapest way possible on my budget.

I am so glad I joined this site.......its terrific sharing with all you creative and friendly people!

Roxxie

Sue

I think I used too much tacky glue on the back of the paper and it bumped up and ripped....had to start over with a different piece which was not the one I had planned to use. I also cut one piece totally wrong so I gave up and worked on painted some other pieces. I will try try again today later.

:hehe:

The sand paper shingles would be cute, but I wouldn't try to do the decoupage thingy with them because of the texture. I'd just glue them on. but there are people here who have used those and could probably tell you something more definite.

I'm busy planting the tops of the bay windows right now!

Did you read the way I typed that last one? LOL

What are you "planting" on the windows?

I watched a movie last night called "The Bicentennial Man" with Robin Williams.......I spied a dollhouse in the background of the little girl's bedroom......maybe it was the Laurel?

The windows are planted with a layer of coffee grounds, some moss, a little finely chopped reindeer moss, and some ornamental grasses and vining plants I made. Pictures later!

Roxxie, when spreading the glue on the paper, use an old expired credit card or small peice of wood to spread the glue, so it has no lumps or bumps before you apply it. (The back of the sheet should have just enough glue that it looks almost like the glue on an envelope flap.) Then once it is on the wall where it is going rub it flat to smooth it out with a small cloth, or even a sheet of paper towel balled up. This way you shouldn't get the wrinkles. It took me a few tries to get it right to.

Thanks Sue! I can't wait to see what you are doing with your moss and other vegetation. Until I came on this site I never imagined all the ways people decorate dollhouses. I am still at the Paint and Glue stage....I feel happy if I get all the pieces in the right places...lol

Hey Roxxie, :) I think you asked about using sandpaper, well if you go to www.picturetrail.com/delores925 and look under coventry dollhouse, you will see that i used sandpaper for my roof and then i lightly painted it with black and it looks cool. And I think that was a few years ago. But just this year some "shingles" have fallen off, :rofl: but of course they can be glued back on.

Speaking of wallpaper, I love using spray adhesive, it puts just the right amount on the paper with out any bumps. But as mentioned you have to be careful not to to glue it to yourself. LOL :hehe:

Sue

I think I used too much tacky glue on the back of the paper and it bumped up and ripped....had to start over with a different piece which was not the one I had planned to use. I also cut one piece totally wrong so I gave up and worked on painted some other pieces. I will try try again today later.

:rofl:

Dolores, those were silk leaves to start with. I bought a spray of leaves at the Dollar Tree, carefully pull them off the plastic 'veins' they are glued to, and there you are! I was concerned that the fabric might melt, but at the silk/rayon setting on the iron, it works great to iron them to the fusible interfacing.

Progress pic on "3 Little Pig's house". The trim is going to be brown, and it's drying right now. The brick is super shiny in the photo also, because it's been varnished. It doesn't glow like that in RL

Dolores, Thanks for the shingle support. I went crazy last night and glued all the wallpaper on the walls. I just started and didn't stop for two hours! Once I got the glue monster ( me) under control it went better. I was using way too much tacky glue. I noticed that I painted and got paper on many tabs and slots that I have to fix or it won't fit together but I am going for it now. I need to take some pics huh?

Your house is so cute!

If I manage to get this one put together I plan to do a "real" house in 1/12 scale. Its not a race is it? LOL

Dee-lightful! Dolores got lost in all your dollhouse pictures they are wonderful! Thanks for sharing I think I will make an attempt at the sandpaper shingles! :w00t:

I picked up my 2 houses today plus one furniture set. Our Micheals takes competor coupons so I used one from Hobby Lobby and got 40% off of one house. I want to do my 2 up for charity. Pick 2 little girls names off a tree before Christmas and make the houses up for them. At that price I can afford to do 2. Throw in a couple of bear families or something.

Sherry: Thanks for the info on how to make your wonderful leaf rug! :yay:

Suzanne: Did you make that bench? Your pigs are adorable and hit the house perfectly! :yes:

Roxxie: Thanks for checking my PuzzleHouse Folder, I think Sherry suggested I make a Folder. I can't wait to see your pics, it should be pretty exciting since you have put up wallpaper! :ohyeah:

Teresa: What a wonderful idea...building the dollhouses as future gifts to little girls in need for Christmas! And you have given me an idea and I am sure others... :flowers: