Scratch build cottage

debra

Hi, I thought you would like to see what I have been up to this weekend, I got a couple of orders for dollshouses for Christmas yikes its only a matter of days away, so I must not dally.

I know you all love to see progress pics, so I have popped the pics to date into my new gallery on webshots, I hope it links ok, I am new to it.

It is a 5 roomed cottage made of 6mm and 3mm MDF with pre made windows and doors, I will add some more trim to it as I go along, with verandah posts and fancy corners, with post and rail along the front of the verandah, there will be icypole stick wood flooring on the verandah floor, and the inside will be all fitted out with wainscotting and cornice and trim, it is sort of in between a kids dollshouse and an adults big fancy dollshouse, it would be great for a beginner to enter the world of miniatures, without spending a fortune on a detailed house, or having to buy a plain childs toy.

The house is only dry fitted at the moment, hence all the crooked windows doors etc, I assure you it will be all straight when I actually glue it lol.

I have a couple of orders for these, and they are all going to be a little different, I dont like to make the same thing over and over.

It will also have wood siding and shingles, with the house painted yellow, and the windows doors and trim all in crisp white.

I hope the recipient likes it. It is quite big and is to 1/12 scale.

The next one will be two story with different trim and windows.

I will post more progress pics as I go along, I am giving my beloved Beacon Hill a rest at the moment. lol. For two reasons, 1. I have to get these done for Christmas, and 2, am stuck on a colour scheme, I am having wisteria all along the verandah and hanging down, (Lots of it) so I don't know weather to make the house a colour to suit this or what to do, oh dear, any help would be appreciated lol.

Cheers Debra.

My scratch built cottage

It is looking really great Debra can't wait to see more of it, will keep fingers and toes crossed for you having it all done to Christmas, I think you are off on a great start though as you have the major building components allready. Are you going to decorate the interior as well or is that left for the recipient to do?

Hugs

Thankyou for the lovely comments, yes I am going to decorate the inside as well, just wallpaper and wainscotting (SP), shouldn't be too hard, I am going to use scrap timber pieces, its just a matter of cuting and gluing and patience and keeping on working till it's done lol, I don't require much sleep, which is a good thing, I work till 5am many nights. I am just painting the first coat on the windows now as I type lol, so I can do two things at once, and most nights I am doing 5 or more things at once.

Cheers Debra.

OMG, it's WONDERFUL! The pattern in the siding (I don't know how to describe it properly) is fabulous and such a wonderful creative touch, and the windows are wonderful!

I don't know if you've seen this topic. In it is a photo of a wisteria-covered home in England that is how I envision your cottage.

Wow, it's coming along beautifully! You really are a quicker worker too!

I don't know if you've seen this topic. In it is a photo of a wisteria-covered home in England that is how I envision your cottage.

Hee... Debra's cottage is even the same color as my mom's cottage in England! I can really see how it will look.

Thanks again for the lovely comments, I am motoring along with it lol, I am using sandpaper for the shingles, arn't they a pain to glue up lol. And Sasha, I love the wisteria idea (Your mothers house is gorgeous), I think I will do that, the customer said to do what ever I like to it, as long as it is yellow and white, I think she would like that as she is a keen gardener.

The interior is going to be in faily plain neutral colours, I think I will go with cream and browns and white etc, with white wood trim.

Progress pic here...................Yellow cottage

Cheers Debra.

sandpaper for the shingles, arn't they a pain to glue up lol.
You think so? Even when I was doing the lozenge-shapes individually I far prefer using sandpaper to about anything else for shingles, although the wood ones go almost as well when I can keep them in strips.

Im still working on my cottage, I am nearly done, I made this tonight for the front verandah, I need to make another one for the othr side, and shorten the chain a little,

I know ya all like eye candy so here ya go , I hope this is sweet enough for you all lol.

Yellow cottage pics here

Cheers Debra.

Great colors, nice details. Lovely!

BTW, I happened to notice a houe here in town with fan shaped siding in the gable as we drove around looking at decorations yesterday. Not sure if it's life imitating art or art imitating life ... I get confused! :wave: