Hello from Seattle

Shanna

Hi, obviously I'm new here, and new to dollhouses and miniatures. I started doing a small art studio room box for my grown daughter, and it's coming along well. I found what was supposed to be a CD holder in the shape of a little house at Michaels craft store. It had two levels, so I cut off the bottom so it's just one room and am in the process of staining and... the glossy stuff, varnish? lol! It's been a long week, and it's only wednesday.

I work full time as a PM at Microsoft, have 3 grown kids (moved out), and 6 yr old fraternal twin girls (7 next month, and in 1st grade). They have dance class on Wednesdays, we host a small group bible study at our house on Thursdays, PTF at the school every other Monday.... I barely have time to breath, but I really needed a hobby (rotfl). Why? b/c I needed something that was "mine" to do. :blink: So, I decided to take up miniature dollhouses. Did I mention that I'm slightly insane?

I just bought the Fairfield - it should arrive next week and I'm so excited! I'm doing lots of research before I begin (being a PM I know how important the planning phase it to a successful project). Of course, I'm already planning lots of kit bashing. I want to try and do the house as close to a typical victorian period house as possible, with a formal entry hall, parlor, kitchen with a servants entrance in the back, etc. It's going to be fun, and I'm sure I'll have LOTS of questions.

First though, I have to finish an artist studio room box for my grown daughter, and a very quick little playhouse for my 6 yr old twins. (As usual, I'm taking care of family first). Once I finish those, I'm going to get to work on the Fairfield! Oh, did I mention that we're also having plans drawn up and considering doing an addition to our real home? This is silly, but fun!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Shanna

Hi Shanna & welcome to the forum!

I'm across the water from you (sort of), in Poulsbo.

Remember to take lots of pictures to share here - we love pictures! As soon as you have a few more posts (5 I think?) you can create your own gallery of pictures.

Lisa

Edited to add: have you been to Dolly's Dollhouse in Seattle? I went there last spring with Kelly (rodentraiser) and was amazed at all the stuff the owner was able to cram into that little store! It's a wonderful place to visit - a bit disorganized, but well worth the trip if you like treasure hunting for mini things. She doesn't have a website, but if you google the name it should come up with an address & phone #. There's also the Dollhouse Cottage in Kirkland. Another wonderful place to visit.

The Seattle Dollhouse Miniatures Show is coming up towards the end of this month too. They hold it every spring & fall.

One more thing. Do you recognize Snoqualmie Falls in my avatar?

I thought that looked familiar...lol I live in Everett but didn't place it when I saw you were from Texas.

Welcome to the forum Shanna. There is a miniature show September 27 and 28 at the Seattle Center...maybe I'll see you there!

HI and welcome! :roflmao:

I was born over in Port Angeles. Even though I didn't grow up there, I find the pacific northwest to be one of the most beautiful regions I've ever seen.

I've been waiting anxiously for a mini shipment from England. Its like Christmas when it finally comes!

Enjoy your Fairfield.

Hi Shanna & welcome to the forum!

I'm across the water from you (sort of), in Poulsbo.

Remember to take lots of pictures to share here - we love pictures! As soon as you have a few more posts (5 I think?) you can create your own gallery of pictures.

Lisa

Edited to add: have you been to Dolly's Dollhouse in Seattle? I went there last spring with Kelly (rodentraiser) and was amazed at all the stuff the owner was able to cram into that little store! It's a wonderful place to visit - a bit disorganized, but well worth the trip if you like treasure hunting for mini things. She doesn't have a website, but if you google the name it should come up with an address & phone #. There's also the Dollhouse Cottage in Kirkland. Another wonderful place to visit.

The Seattle Dollhouse Miniatures Show is coming up towards the end of this month too. They hold it every spring & fall.

Hi neighbor! I've been to the dollhouse cottage, and was thinking of visiting Darlene's Dollhouse Shop (near puyallup) this weekend, but I hadn't heard of Dolly's Dollhouse. I don't go into Seattle much, but I'll have to now! Thanks for the tip!

I'm planning on attending the Seattle Dollhouse show, but still negotiating with my sweet hubby on how we're going to work that out. I want him and the girls to come, look around a bit with me, then maybe go over to the science center so I can continue to play, but we'll see.

Hi neighbor! I've been to the dollhouse cottage, and was thinking of visiting Darlene's Dollhouse Shop (near puyallup) this weekend, but I hadn't heard of Dolly's Dollhouse. I don't go into Seattle much, but I'll have to now! Thanks for the tip!

I'm planning on attending the Seattle Dollhouse show, but still negotiating with my sweet hubby on how we're going to work that out. I want him and the girls to come, look around a bit with me, then maybe go over to the science center so I can continue to play, but we'll see.

Darlene's Dollhouse Shop isn't really a shop - it's a small miniatures business the lady runs out of her garage. There's isn't a lot and what there is a wee bit pricey, but it's fun to talk to her and look around. You'll enjoy it!

Darlene's Dollhouse Shop isn't really a shop - it's a small miniatures business the lady runs out of her garage. There's isn't a lot and what there is a wee bit pricey, but it's fun to talk to her and look around. You'll enjoy it!

Shucks, I'm headed down that way this weekend, and will probably still stop there for a bit, but thanks for heads-up so that my expectations are realistic. But next weekend is the Seattle show! WOOHOO!

Hey, are the prices for building supplies and furniture usually higher at a show like this? I've been kind of waiting to buy a few things to check out what they have at the show, in case maybe they have different/better/cheaper stuff. Probably not.... ;)