Hello from Seattle

Shanna

Belated welcome, Shanna!

Miniature Shows can differ greatly in what they have to offer - I have been to some that are strictly artisan, OOAK - and I have been to others that have all kinds of minis and supplies (tools, polymer clay, wood trim, lace trim, viscose hair, flocking, you name it, they sell it).

Prices tend to be a little higher in my experience, but when you factor in shipping costs (if you shop online), then the prices aren't so bad. I don't shop online, and rely somewhat on my local miniature and dollhouse store - but shows fill in any gaps!

Some dealers will offer "Show Specials" and there are some bargains!

I love going to the shows for inspiration, and just to mill about in a crowd of kindred spirits! :D

Depends a lot on the show. If you have several good dollhouse shops around, then that's where I'd buy the basics - trim, shingles, glue, stuff like that. What I look for at a show is the stuff you don't normally see at the shows and for me, that's furniture - better quality living and bedroom sets, kitchens and bathrooms and those type of things. I will also look for stuff that doesn't always make it to the stores - plants and hanging baskets for the porch, books, sterling silver pieces (for the trophy case I'll have one day), well made dish sets etc.

If you buy specialty things like porch posts, make sure you get enough because running out is going to suck if you can't get more (ask me - I have 3! porch posts!)

Having said that, sometimes you can get good buys on "every day" stuff - windows, wallpaper etc because people are just trying to move stuff out - just make sure to research your prices first with a trip to the local miniature store the week before so you don't overpay.

And the best thing I use the shows for is what I call "hands on". If they have any dollhouses on exhibit, bring a camera - I think they let you take photos - and a notepad so you can write down what it is you're looking at (trust me, you'll forget the details as soon as you leave although the impressions will last forever). Pay attention to color and matching wallpapers - this is where you'll see patterns and colors together and get ideas. You might be surprised at what works and doesn't work - and if you see a paper combo that you like, don't leave it to memory. Write it down so you can describe it later - one of us will know what it is. Keep an eye out for the built-ins in a dollhouse and especially the trim that goes around the bookcases, the inside windows, the staircases, stairwell landings and everything else. Trim makes the difference between a child's play thing and a dollhouse!

I always tell kids to "touch with your eyes only" and you can really train your eye to start at the bottom and work your way up and through a dollhouse. There was an absolutely beautiful house at the dollhouse show last spring and it was in The Dollhouse Cottage Shop when Lisa and I went there. I was so bowled over by this house at the show, but I saw I missed so many details when I got to see it again in the shop - there was a pair of muddy boots inside the back door, but the first time I missed the actual muddy boot tracks on the porch and the leaves in the gutter.

And whatever you do when you go to the show though, make sure to have a good time!

In addition to furniture and other OOAK artisan pieces you can often find "advanced" building supplies and accent items and kits, often at quite reasonable special "show" prices, either because the dealer's clearing them out, or introducing them. If you check the Atlanta Miniature Show thread in the General Forum, the latest chatter concerns the host club's bargain/ closeout table.

Did anyone mention taking a couple of canvas shopping bags/ totes?