Thinking of selling off some minis

heidiiiii

I am thinking of selling off some of the minis I really do not love. I still have the Bellingham Farmhouse sitting at the bottom of my staircase. No bites for it on Craigslist.

I think I will bring that to a local consignment shop but I do not know yet. I may just sit on it for awhile because the way people are holding onto their money, I may not get much for it.

Have any of you considered selling off some of your miniatures?

I am NOT getting rid of anything I absolutely love..just thin the herd a bit, maybe make a bit of money, use the cash for minis.

I really don't have all that much right now...lots of houses, stores, etc. to be built yet but all ones that I have wanted for years....I can understand your logic though...I have sold off other items when I just had so much and didn't even use certain things....just make sure you don't get rid of anything you really like...I've done that too in times when money was really tight when the girls were growing up.....

Elicia

in sunny breezy South Carolina

I have some houses I'd like to sell but don't know how to do ebay or craig's list etc. They are too big to ship and no one lives really close enough for pickup. I just don't have room anymore so have to thin out the houses. There are no consignment shops around. I thought about a garage sale but I'd be lucky to get the price of the kit.

I need to get rid of my Glencroft too, but you sure can't get what you have into it, that's for sure. Have been selling off pieces of furniture that I was saving for the right setting - but after 15 years, I don't think the setting is going to happen anytime soon! :flowers: Actually, it's kind of freeing to get rid of this stuff anyway and puts a little cash in my pocket. Debra

I've thought about selling a few houses after I get them fixed up, but only to make room and money for more stuff...lol

I might sell the Emerson Row and my Glencroft and use the proceeds to get some Bespaq pieces I've had my eye on.

Craigslist is a snap

http://www.craigslist.com

click on your state from the list, click on sell, choose a category (collectables is usually right), file in the form, wait for a confirming email, verify and you are there - I put non mini stuff on it fromtime to time and wanted listings for dollhouses.

Consignment shops around here in NJ usually want 40 - 50% of the selling price.

I sold dh furniture/accessories in my coop store but found that items over $8 or $9 didnt sell. I am just going to hang on to my extra minis for now, since I might find another coop to join that is in a more affluent area. I closed the coop space I had and have given the leftovers away on freecycle (nothing mini) just to clear out the junk I have. Also cleared out my storage unit (freecycle and the thrift store). What a relief to get rid of all that stuff! I dont really sell from my studio but the occassional person comes in that wants to buy something (I sold a Coventry kit I wasnt going to build for full price a couple of weeks ago, but that is a rare occurance).

Good luck selling your extras.

I don't think I have any minis that I don't love! :D I couldn't sell any of my minis - having said that - of course, if I was in dire straits it would be a different story.

I have been able to sell some polymer clay items (food, flowers) to a miniature store in town, but I don't think that's what you meant, Heidi.

I hope you get some good money for your minis Heidi, and that you don't have to part with too many of them. :hide:

I need to get rid of my Glencroft too ....

Debra, your Glencroft is beautiful! I just love that dh. I would like to see some more pics of it before you send it on its way. B)

I have sold 4 of my dollhouses. Nothing I truly loved as you said. It helped ease some grumbling I'd been getting over the lack of space, and amount of money I had invested, from DH at the time. He made me feel somewhat guilty so I gave it a try. I just got lucky, and it shut him up, now he feels bad I actually sold my toys for him. :D

Heidi, I too have been thinking of 'thinning out' some of my miniatures. I have a feeling its going to be a tough winter. I just don't think I would get what I paid for a lot of my stuff. I wish you and I lived closer........Let us know what you end up doing. I think I will try to hold mine unless I could find a place that would at least give me a fair price. Lately, there have been quite a few houses on Craigslists. But, the prices.....!!!! There are lots of tourist places on the shoreline, but, I don't think any of my miniature stuff would really do that well. I have only 'met' one other person who is into miniatures, and she has/had way more than I ever will!!!

I am going to be thinning out some of my things as well.... I just need more room..! I have 2 Linfield house kits so I am thinking of selling one of the kits. I was going to build them both and sel one after it was completed but I think I might get more out of it if I sell the kit! I have been thinking really hard on this lately... and I do believe there will be a few that go to new homes.!

Kellee

We are not having it *rough and tough* right now. We will see what the winter brings.... :D

I just want to buy some minis! And I have no extra money to do so. Figured I can get rid of some pieces that I will probably never use, have more room, and use the money to get some things I want.

Leslie, You and I are not that far apart. Clinton and New London is not that bad. I mean we could meet in Westbrook Outlet one day just to hang out before the weather gets cold.

I was wondering about how folks ebayed a house- I guess the shipping part. I'd be so anxious about shipping a completed house bc it seems like it would just be so easy for the box to get "tossed" into the back of a truck, end up on the bottom of a stack and get crushed etc. But if you crate it in wood, your ship price might be so high it would end up deterring potential buyers.

I think ebay prices might be down right now also bc school is starting and many people are having to put a lot of their $ toward fees, clothing etc. Not good when you add it to gas prices, food prices etc. Sigh :D

Craigslist is probably good someplaces, but people just don't buy dollhouses here. There was a beautifully built, completely furnished Duracraft Heritage up for sale for $100 and no one even looked at it for an entire month. Finally sold and I'd hate to know how much of a discount the guy had to take.

Wendy

One idea I've been thinking about is all the Craft shows I've been to and sold at ( I also paint slates and ornaments and stuff) I have never seen any Dollhouses or miniatures at any of them.

I had thought of taking my extra stuff and making Vignettes, shadow boxes, and gift bag scenes decorated for the holidays or other occasions like nursery for baby shower, etc. Or maybe a couple of the smaller houses like the Buttercup and Arthur decorated with Christmas colors. People are always looking for new and unusual gifts and decorations, but I wonder if they'd like minis.

I started selling before I started building. I bought clearance shop kits at AC Moore for $10 each & sold them on Ebay for anywhere from $50 to $69 each.

I sold a few other things like wallpaper & dolls that I got on clearance too.

My net total in sales was $860. I still think I spent more than that on minis so far, but SHHHH-don't tell my husband!

It helped me justify spending money on my new hobby. I'm a big hobby person & my hubby isn't, so I always feel guilty.

I'm thinking about selling small completed houses, just not sure to who or how.

Right now I'm holding on to most of the furniture I've acquired but I can see selling some stuff down the line.

...I'm thinking about selling small completed houses, just not sure to who or how...
I got started down the mini path of building more than one house when people began to ask me to make dhs for their child/ grandchild/ etc.