What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I got out one of the secondhand modacrylic wigs I was given several weeks back and washed it. It wasn't dirty,but they both had a fragrance/smell from whoever cleaned them before that I just could not take anymore. It wasn't making me sick,luckily,but was just overpowering and made me not want to wear them for very long at a time. Around the time I got the wigs I quickly got too sick to care about how I looked anyway,but I think I am ready to wear them for a bit now.

I also looked at some videos that teach how to wear eyeliner and false lashes when you've lost your own. All the make up I ever wear is eyebrow pencil and mascara,but I think I'll at least invest in some dollar store eyeliner and give it a go! I always tended to look like a hooker when I tried it before,but I am so blank looking right now,that may be an improvement! I don't know about the false lashes,but at least I learned that you can wear them without your own to set them on-I wouldn't have thought so.

Sounds like everyone has been pretty busy! Anna,I am so glad the storm left y'all unharmed and I hope not too many trees were damaged.

I hope the sun will peek out at y'all wherever you are-and remind me what it looks like,will ya?!?LOL

• Like 4

I have never tried the false eyelashes, but it looks like the stickum would stick to the skin of the eyelid, anyway; rather than the lashes.  I did used to wear eyeliner, but nowadays if my hand's not too shaky I'll do the eyebrow pencil, since that's the only hair that's gone gray so far.  I was never much for makeup.

The dragon rug is taking me longer than usual because I went and changed all the colors from the chart I'm using, and then missed a color change on the dragon because I was using CFs, but not the Ott type, so the dark blue looked just like the black and I had an extra color to decide what to do with; plus trying to remember which colors I substituted for what...

• Like 2

Kat, sending you BIG HUGS. It's something new for you but you are taking it so well! I know the dollar store by us has the false lashes too. They may be good to practice with. Ecto Tools have the most natural feeling ones (I've worn them for special occasions and always couldn't wait to get home to take them off). The ones from Ecto tools felt so natural I forgot I had them on. Their glue and lashes are made of natural fibers (I break out easily). I hear they even have false eyebrows made of human hair too. My friend is a beautician and was just talking about them a few months ago to me. I'll ask her where a person can find some if you're interested.

I know our hair, eyes and face are things us women cherish. I love your positivity and the fact that you are even interested in trying new things. That's how my friend Heather was. She bought wigs in several different colors because she was always afraid to dye her own hair like that. She 3 years post surgery and doing well just as you are now and will continue :)

• Like 1

Tracy,thank you for the hug! :) That is so cool about dollar store lashes-I may have seen them there and just didn't see them,if ya know what I mean! And the false eyebrows intrigued me! I have always had very light,too sparse brows and so have been drawing them in since my youth. But I would probably try falsies! LOL My ex-husband meant well when he once told me I should just have some tattooed on,back when doing that and lip liner tattooing went through a popular spurt,but,um,no! :)

Holly,yeah,they are attached to the lids,but for some reason I was misinformed from somewhere that they wouldn't stay without the lashes. Luckily they evidently do and you draw the liner on to distract from where the lash is attached,so they look more 'natural'-at least that was the sell on the videos I watched this morning.

I never was one much for make-up,so I'm learning some new-to-me stuff! Back when I was a young teenager,the advice for freckled girls was always about how to cover them up,to hide them. I couldn't understand why I had to hide what God/nature gave me! I didn't think they were ugly,but the cosmetics industry back then sure made you feel like they were! I haven't worn foundation in decades and now my freckles make me look years younger,even with my wrinkles! Joke's on you,Covergirl! LOL

Edited by kat57
  • Like 4

:badmood:    sigh .... we are dealing with frozen pipes ... wish it would just warm up a little bit. Wouldn't have to be much to help the situation but we've had so many days of below zero and so much wind that it's a deadly combination. If it stays above zero, we are usually ok. 

Unfortunately this time is going to require the plumber to come. :cry: The drainpipe froze and has broken in a few places so it's more than just melting the ice.  

• Like 1

Holly, I'm using Paperclay (lol no surprise there I bet you're saying to yourself) but also wood too. I can't remember who asked if I was gonna do what Karin did. I'm not using drywall mudd. I'm sculpting this free style which I've done a lot of in the past years. I make gifts for people most times, I forget to even take pictures because it's a spur of the moment thing when inspiration hits. :) I use Paperclay for most of my sculpting. I also use other things, but my inspiration came from the picture I posted. A friend shared it with me because she knows I love to make scenes with windows and doors. That window seemed like Something new and fun to do ;)

• Like 1

Oh no Selkie :( Im so sorry to hear that!! I hope it doesn't cause too much damage to the house or your pocketbook. Some of my neighbors had that happen to them last week. This weather is so cold it doesn't take long for stuff to freeze.

• Like 1

Thanks. It's the $$'s that I'm most concerned about. I've still got hospital and MD bills that I'm working on getting paid off and didn't really need a plumbing bill right now. I'm hoping this isn't one of those deals where things come in threes. Yikes!!

• Like 2

Tracy, you and paperclay come as no surprise at all! Selkie, we insulate all of our pipes every winter even here in th south, ever since we first moved to OH and that was part of our prep routine every winter. One really bad year we were the only house on our street that didn't have frozen pipes!

• Like 1

Waiting for the plumber to get back to me. I didn't call yesterday cuz I didn't want to pay overtime rates.
This is a drainline that is frozen, not the incoming water. The drain for this room goes out into the woodshed before hitching back into the septic line. That's where the problem occurs. It has happened a few other times over the 45 years we've lived here.
We redid the water lines about 15 years ago and that finally stopped the freezing of those. Whew!
Oh, and we are our own landlords :)

Making Pasta fagoli in crockpot and looking at the rain. I have strawberries frozen for jam so I might do that today or tomorrow. The earthquake here in CT was not near us. It was more up towards the Mass border.

Selkie I hope it's a quick and cheap fix for you.

You go Kat, look forward to hearing how it all turns out.

I finally got confirmation that my hernia op is next Monday ... I'm the first op of the day so pleased we won't be waiting around. Because of the mistake last time and the subsequent issues we have mixed emotions about this op But what we keep hanging onto is that once the 3 month recovery period is over I can finally start a return to fitness programme that will bring me back to how I was before it all went wrong. And then I can start working for decent lengths of time on my houses again.

In happy news my daughter ( our middle child ) is 21 on Saturday ... She doesn't want a big do but we're organising doing things that she enjoys along with catering for her grandparents who don't quite get why she doesn't want to do anything. 18 seems to be more of the big thing now.

• Like 3

Hope it isn't too costly of a fix, Selkie.

Our pipes froze the same morning my bike was iced over. The water was running fine at 5:30 am, but by the time my DW got home around 8, there wasn't any water getting into the house until well after noon. I'm looking into insulating them before they freeze again.

This evening on the insistence of DW, I grilled whole tilapia and steaks in a light rain. Getting the charcoal lit wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but I could have waited until the weekend.

• Like 1

Mother's birthday party was a great success. She was so happy to be surrounded by family. Her youngest sister and daughter came a day early to help with the preparations. And I even had their rooms ready and the house presentable by the time they got here! Of the six kids in Mother's family, all three boys are gone now, and the three girls are still with us; Mother is the oldest of the three. We got her a big, delicious chocolate cake from Costco that read: "Happy Birthday, Jean. 92 blessed years". There were 12 of us altogether, and we had a great time. I wanted to post a couple pictures but at the bottom of the screen it says I have exceeded my allotted space for attachments. :(

Tonight she reminded me that in just 364 days she would be having another birthday. I told her I'd start planning tomorrow! :bookread:

• Like 7

Well, it's been an interesting few days. Our heat was out twice, once just in one room and the second time for the whole house. The first was a bad circulator pump and the second a clogged supply line, so they were both covered under our service contract! Then we lost 2 computers in 3 days. Those were unfortunately not covered, but thanks to a couple good coupons from Costco my mother and I are up and running again. My computer technician aka DS#1 got all my data backed up from my old laptop and my awesome DH was able to transfer all my emails and browser settings/bookmarks to the new one. Today is sorting out housework and making peanut butter brownies for my friend's birthday lunch tomorrow.

• Like 1

<handing out warm blankets, pipe heaters, and lots of hugs to everyone> Winter is being unkind this year in a big way! I hope that things settle down for everyone quickly and with minimal damage for those of you with broken pipes. Selkie, you hand over that mop right now young lady! Don't try to hide it behind your back either coz we know you have it. Your knee won't take kindly to mopping activities so if you absolutely must, please be careful.

I finally finished with real life stuff and have a clean house, a nicely painted potting bench, holiday stuff back in its closet, the rains have stopped so I can move again, and the day fairly sparkles before me! <twirling around in a circle> Of course y'all know what I'm gonna do.......... Yep, it's mini time!! I'm headed back to the studio as soon as I get a little more limbered up. :dog: Wooooooooooooohooooooooooooooo!

We are getting ready to leave the house for a shopping expedition. Since I'm in pursuit of a new self-healing cutting mat I figure a stop at the hardware store for more iron-on wood veneer would be a good idea, too.

Tomorrow I get to pick up two half bushels of apples for a steal of $5 a piece. I chose 1 bag of Courtland and 1 bag of McIntosh. I will make applesauce for canning and a apple crumb pie for Fred.

Selkie, take it easy with the clean up. The brownies sound good Sarah.

• Like 1

Post the pictures in your gallery and post a link here.

The subject is not "miniatures" - but here are a couple of pictures from Mother's party ...

Mother in the middle, with her two sisters - and her delicious cake!

• Like 5