What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Unless DH lures me out to shop I hope to spend what is forecast to be a warmer day out in the shop, I want to touch up the kitchen doorframe and at least begin shingling the attic gables and mask the doorways and windows. DH came out to see my progress and it overheard him saying how nice the stucco and shingles will look with a bricked foundation and it has decided to cooperate. I guess Washington is feminine, after all, and I shall hereafter refer to her, not it.

We found some beautifully finished plywood panels to install over the insulation in the shop, so I asked the contractor to just seal it. It has a warm, rosy quality to the tan color that the sealer actually makes pop.

• Like 1

One of the strangest things I've ever seen on a wall was in a house we lived in when I was in grade school. Whoever lived there prior to us had painted one bathroom wall with HUGE bright green fish. That might sound kind of interesting and it could have been if the aspiring artist could paint fish that looked like fish, but these things were modeled after goldfish, except they were a sickly shade of green, as if the goldfish had tarnished and it was making their little eyes bulge out of their sockets. They were also about the size of a human head. Believe me, the first time my mother walked into that bathroom in the middle of the night and turned the light on, we all heard "AAAGGGHHH!" when the wall of nuclear apocalyptic mutant green goldfish greeted her. She started painting that bathroom the very next day.

• Like 4

Oh, Deb, you reminded me of the first house DH & I ever bought (we didn't get to live in it all that long) and the kitchen was tiny, like a Pullman berth on a train. I owned a copy of Andreas Vesalius' anatomical works at the time, so I used DH (who is 6' tall) to lightly trace around and I copied the muscle plate onto the right hand wall and put a hook t the raised hand' on the adjacent facing wall on the left I copied one of the skeleton plates (without its props) with a second hook at its outstretched hand, and we hung decorative tin box lids, trivets, fishnet, whatever from and between those hooks.

Doing laundry and trying to keep up with my big snow dog! It has been snowing all day and he is like a big kid who wants to play in the snow all day! He was soaking wet when he finally consented to come in. I had to wipe his paws and use the hair dryer on his fur he was soaked down to his doggy skin! The floor is a mess but oh well. I thought it had stopped snowing but it has started again. My new boots are sitting at the post office and I can't get to town to get them! Hopefully tomorrow!

Anyway, I made a chicken pot pie with ingredients that I can eat ( it ain't easy) so I am looking forward to chicken pot pie and biscuits for dinner. Yum! :eatyum:

• Like 1

Why can't you have a computer at work?

The admins who sit in beautiful offices, far removed from the action, have the idea that if someone has a computer in the booth, they will be playing games and ignoring the public. Stupid admins! They also don't want the booth person / product demonstrator to sit down in the booth. Must always stand. Well, that's not too practical for a 12-hour shift. My immediate supervisor lets me have a chair (I have to bring my own) because I do work the long shifts. But I do not sit down when there are a people around - only when there's a lull. And the only time I sit to talk to a customer, is if that customer is in a wheelchair. Then I talk to them at their level. I would love to get one of the top admins, who are back east somewhere, and make them stay in the booth all day like I do. And be sure they are still smiling at customers in the 11th hour! My supervisor asked me to work a show not too long ago and when I said I would she was so relieved. She had been in tears thinking she was going to have to work it herself! She and I work well together - she doesn't want my job and I don't want hers!

I used to take my notebook computer with me to help me stay alert and awake in the long evening hours when there are almost no customers. If I have to sit there and stare into space I'll fall asleep - have to keep the mind challenged. But I don't miss the notebook so much anymore since I have a smart phone - it will do almost everything the computer did.

• Like 3

Oh, Deb, you reminded me of the first house DH & I ever bought (we didn't get to live in it all that long) and the kitchen was tiny, like a Pullman berth on a train. I owned a copy of Andreas Vesalius' anatomical works at the time, so I used DH (who is 6' tall) to lightly trace around and I copied the muscle plate onto the right hand wall and put a hook t the raised hand' on the adjacent facing wall on the left I copied one of the skeleton plates (without its props) with a second hook at its outstretched hand, and we hung decorative tin box lids, trivets, fishnet, whatever from and between those hooks.

Now that sounds kinda cool and not likely to give children nightmares for the rest of their lives. <pausing to consider> I'm not sure my brother was ever able to watch the movie "Jaws".

I had a productive day today pulling files from my old laptop. It had a significant hardware failure last year and the ethernet card and the wifi died so it won't talk to other computers in the network. I've tried everything and can't even get it to mount as an external hard drive on this laptop (where's a serial port when you need one). It's just plain snobby and won't speak to other computers or share files. The problem is that it died right when we were moving last year so I'm just now getting around to transferring all the files for my website and the Gazette. I can still get it to drop files onto a usb drive so nothing is lost, but it's been tedious going. <grinning> The Gazette stuff was easy coz there were only six years worth of that, but my website was a little more time consuming. At one time or another there have been over 8000 pictures on my site. I streamlined that significantly the last time I cleaned it up but that's still a lot of pictures. I'm gonna blame that on Lynette and Holly who taught me that there's never such a thing as too much eye candy. :photo:

• Like 1

Today we're heading up river to an old sugar plantation that opened to visitors last month after some six or seven million dollars' worth of renovation. Whitney Plantation is dedicated to telling the story of the hundreds of slaves who kept it running. The complex is the vision of a New Orleans attorney who purchased the plantation to prevent the land from being developed and has paid for the project out of his own pocket. When it is finished, it will offer rebuilt slave cabins as work space for visiting writers and artists as well as honoring the slaves.

The weather guessers promise rain, but not until late in the day. Hopefully we'll be enjoying a nice lunch at Petra in Laplace by the time it begins.

• Like 1

Sounds fun Kathie! I love touring old spaces that have been restored. Well, I was going to vacuum and clean house today surprise, surprise, however the vacuum hose is broken and we will need a new machine. I'd just get a replacement hose, but the motor is starting to whine as well. Not surprising since I vacuum up a mountain of dog hair every week. I love my furbabies, but they sure do shed especially the youngest. Since I can't do that I may just have to break out the 1/12 beachside bungalow I'm finishing for a friend's little one :banana: I told her I was going to do it (the kit was a gift from another friend) but with all the holiday bustle it got pushed to the side. I need something to work on while the paint is drying on my cake stands. Nice paint finish takes a lot of sanding and multiple coats, but it will be worth it in the end.

• Like 1

We're next in line for Kathie's rain and last night the weather folks in Mobile were saying 5PM. I'm going to haul out the vacuum after breakfastI

I shingled the front gable yesterday and cut out all the parts for two armchairs for Washington. Earlier this AM I went out and trimmed the excess and flipped the house and began shingling the back gable. After I vacuum I will try for another shop session.

I was thinking of cooking stuffed pork chops today. I will have to look around Pinterest to get a nice recipe. Fred hurt his foot. We think it could be a stress fracture from work. He sees his Dr for regular check up on Friday. Hopefully he can get a xray soon. :stretcher: Thank goodness for leftover pain killers from his root canal in the Fall. I have been doing double duty around here. Looks like I will be shoveling alone. :cold:

Poor Fred!

Over here we got around 4 inches of snow yesterday and this evening it is a cold fog along with snow so we are in for an interesting ride to work tomorrow morning....

Hugs

• Like 1

We're having one of these days: :tumbleweed: <chuckling> That's SO literal. The wind is blowing and it's tumbleweed season so they're everywhere. Our HOA has someone on tumbleweed round-up duty. He drives around pulling a cage trailer behind his pickup and wielding a huge pitchfork to catch the strays and toss them into the cage. I was watching him yesterday and of course, this was what I was singing:

Poor Fred!

Over here we got around 4 inches of snow yesterday and this evening it is a cold fog along with snow so we are in for an interesting ride to work tomorrow morning....

Hugs

I made him appointment with foot dr/surgeon for monday morning. They are closed tomorrow. I am worried it is a fracture and he could make it worse at work. A boot will help immensely.

Be careful on the slick roads, Anna! We are supposed to get 3-6 inches but reports are saying mostly rain for us on the shore. I hope it is a warm rain. My jeep doesnt like to ice skate.

Stuffed pork chops, YUM! I tear up a couple of slices of whole wheat bread into a bowl with a couple of tablespoonsful of frozen seasoning mix (onion, celery and bell pepper pieces) and a beaten egg and fill each chop with it, close the chop with a skewer and brown both sides on top of the stove, then pop them into a preheated oven to finish.

• Like 1

We are at the 2 week countdown for the grandbaby arrival! Right now the little stinker is still breech, so c-section is planned.

The other grandmother passed away about a year and half ago, and if everything sticks to plan, the baby will be born on her birthday. How awesome is that? :)

• Like 6

Congrats, Tracy!

It has been cool in the mornings, but warms up so much I ride home from work with my leathers packed in the saddlebags. Mostly high 70's and beautiful, blue skies.

Last week I met up with a small group of fellow motorcycle riders who have had an on-again-off-again riding club. It's kind of like "Wild Hogs", only there aren't any Harley Davidson riders in their group. Just a custom made patch on their vests, but no real cohesive club. Last summer they hosted a huge BBQ on the East side of town (it's mostly low-income) and invited everyone in the community to a free lunch. Besides plans to ride to several upcoming bike weeks, they're planning a special ride to Tampa soon. Before the local Shoney's closed, we would meet every Saturday morning and get the same waitress who was practically one of the crew. She moved to Tampa to find work and is now at a Cracker Barrel down there. We're going to ride down one Saturday and show up for breakfast, but mostly to surprise her.

Today at work we had a case of a plane we couldn't get rid of. The company replaced their smaller, less efficient Beechcraft planes with the better Saabs several years ago. A new commuter airline startup out of Virginia bought the older planes over a month ago, but the last plane has been getting overhauled since I started in November. Today, we loaded up the maintenance records (about 1,550 lbs. worth) on the plane and watched as the ferry pilots took off, turned around, and landed back at the airport. They did it twice. We figured they wanted to run a couple of cycles and make sure everything was in working order. After flying about a hundred miles and 4,000 ft. above the plane's maximum allowable altitude, they turned around and brought it back. They said it wasn't pressurizing properly (it won't if you fly it too high like they did), so we have to re-inspect it and find another flight crew who will fly it properly. It was kind of funny hearing everyone groan when they saw that plane taxiing back to the hangar, but both airlines want the plane to be somewhere else.

Before the local Shoney's closed, we would meet every Saturday morning and get the same waitress who was practically one of the crew. She moved to Tampa to find work and is now at a Cracker Barrel down there. We're going to ride down one Saturday and show up for breakfast, but mostly to surprise her.

Oh, that's just going to make her day! How cool!

Tracy, do you know yet if you're getting a grandson or a granddaughter? Either way it's awesome and I'm thrilled for you!

I'm having a quiet day on the heels of a fibro flare but quiet days are nice. I put aside any thoughts of "doing stuff" and have just been rolling with each moment as it comes. I have two cats sleeping beside me and can hear Bruce playing the guitar downstairs so it's a lovely and peaceful day.

What's everyone else up to today?