What are you up to today? This week?

CJ, my theory regarding parties and house cleaning is to polish the faucets in the bathroom ('cause folks will notice) and leave the rest of the cleaning until after the party ('cause unless the dust bunnies are big enough to bite an ankle, they won't notice). Why clean twice?

It's more than just "cleaning" - it's rearranging! We set up a rather large Nativity Scene in our office, in front of the glass slider, all lit up so it's visible from the road (standing figures are 14" high), and it takes up a lot of space. The dollhouse that usually sits on the bay window bench in the living room is now on the dining table, to make room for the Christmas Village that is set up in the window. And the huge boxes for the Village houses are in the guest room. So it's kind of like one of those little puzzles with the sliding squares that you keep moving around to get the picture right. The Christmas Village houses have to be packed back into their boxes - to clear the window bench - to return the dollhouse to its spot - to clear the table - to put the boxes back into the attic to clear the guest room. And the Nativity in the office has to be put away to clear the office space because one bed will be set up in there. Make sense? And, after two months of craft bazaars, there are still some craft supplies to be hauled out to my craft cottage. I work January 2-4 at a Home Show, so DH and I have a few days to shift into high gear and get everything put back in order. Mother thought we should leave the Christmas deco up so everybody could see it. But that's not going to work!

Happy Birthday, Holly :pash:

Jeremy, may you have a wonderful trip in spite of the obstacles! Enjoy the journey and enjoy the fellowship of friends and family when you get there. :drive:

• Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• havanaholly

• KathieB

• heidiiiii

• Anna

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started laying pavers in our front yard yesterday. My DW doesn't like walking in the grass from the car to the front steps, so we're getting about a dozen pavers that look like cobblestone, each pa

Today I am celebrating a bit as I have been offered a new job (still principal but in a different town/municipality) which I have accepted. Same driving distance just the opposite direction, a few per

SHE's HERE!!!      Little Junia Rosalie was born on her daddy's birthday- Friday, June 9 weighing in at 7lbs 15oz and 21.5 inches long!  She's beautiful and we are SO excited for our first gran

Posted Images

Nutti, where are you moving to this time? Any chance of coming in our direction?

I already called dibs on Nutti!!!! :bleh: No, really, I've been trying to convince her to move to Maricopa since they aren't planning on leaving the area and there's a house available right across the street too. <chuckling> If Lynette and I were next door neighbors, the whole neighborhood would never be the same again. But I'll be thrilled if she just moves to the part of the metro area closer to Cait since that's still closer to me. Bruce could swing by and pick her up on his way home from work and we'd have sleepovers and weekends all the time. <dreamy sigh> Wouldn't that be loverly?

• Like 1

oohhh you guys!

yes Holly we will be moving as soon as the kidos finish the school yr...this house is too leaky with unwilling landlords to address the ever growing issues

we LOVE this house and yard...but somewhere is a house that will fit our needs and be closer to my daughter and yes to Deb....I get to see my newest gran maybe once a week and I want more than that...so if we are to leave this house than we might as well move out this area to be closer...

since permission has been asked and given our daughter will be getting engaged and soon marry our sweet Frankie . his parents and siblings are WELL

established in their town and family activities...so we will be flexible and move closer

so Im sorry sweet Holly you and my Pensacola sister will not be getting us closer.

but should you find yourself traveling our way...well Im sure Deb and I can cook up some fun for you.

Deb I dont think any neighborhood would be safe from us during the holidays....and I wish I could say it would be us creating the problems...but I feel our boys would gang up and take over!! bigger and better....at this point its what house where will fit the money when its time to move...we have requirements as a 2 family household with 6 people...and 2 furbabies

as for the forum....I may not post but I read and troll the gallery...I am always watching :batman:

• Like 1

Our problem is that as we get older our stamina for long trips is waning. Where we used to be able to get 300 miles pulling the RV we're down to 200 or so' getting from here to there takes a lot longer. The up side is that w get to stop and check out the surrounding countryside; more roses to smell.

• Like 4

We were packed and ready to roll to Sugar Land to spend New Year's with Lloyd's sister, but once again life intervened. The virus infection in his eye has come back. We spent the morning with the ophthalmologist and at the drugstore. He needs to be seen again tomorrow so Doc can check its progress (or, we hope, its lack of progress). So, the gumbo is back in the freezer and the suitcase is waiting to be unpacked. Maybe we'll be able to go next week.

I spent all morning putting my mini Christmas Village away. I always pack things as if I was going to move them. I moved so many times I got in the habit of carefully bubble wrapping everything just in case. Does that make me a bit paranoid?? I cleaned the mantle and put away the Christmas arrangements, candles and what nots. Whew!!! All that's left to do now is dismantle the tree. I am so done with all of it and I am itching to start another mini project in the New Year!

I got everything put away except my village and tree. Village I forgot about yesterday, tree will probably be tomorrow. Today I have decided I want to go play with drywall mud and try to make some progress in the downstairs rooms, while I have time off work. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Decorations are put away - easy this year since I hardly put up anything and we didn't have a tree.

Next year I plan on going all out with lights and decorations. Fingers crossed.

My son promised he would help me after he saw me sitting in the living room in tears around midnight on Christmas eve over not having any tree to put the kiddos presents under. Time will tell if he keeps his promise.

A good friend of ours just passed away this past weekend. We are making plans for attending the funeral services.

It is a very sad situation. We had hoped for a miracle but it wasn't to be.

• Like 1

Selkie, I don't know whether to Like or not. I was thinking about your plans for next year so I hit Like. I am sorry to hear about your friend. Hugs for you.

How are you doing? I was just thinking about you! I didn't put up a tree for about 12 years or more. Its a lot of work and a big mess taking it down! I use to put gifts on the table by my Christmas cactus!

New pot of gumbo has been going all day, so should be ready for supper. We ran errands today, found everything we went looking for except the new drip bowls and rings for my old GE stove. They are still being made and online shows that they come in sets of one 8" and three 6", like the burner elements on the stove; but the stores that advertise online that carry them only seem to have them in sets of one each 8" and 6", which is no help whatsoever. So I guess we are back to ordering them online (I despise ordering thing online; I want to SEE and TOUCH when I'm buying replacement items)

Selkie, I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. It's a heartache that only time will heal but my thoughts are with you, especially as you plan to attend the funeral. You've been thru so much over the past few months that my New Year's wish for you is a peaceful time for healing and getting life back to normal.

Bruce is off work tomorrow so we'll start taking down all the holiday stuff then. The outdoor stuff needs to come down first and while he's figuring out where to stash the larger pieces, I'll start taking down the trees and garlands and lights and such. It took almost two months to put it up so I'll kind of be glad to take it down and get the house back to normal, but it'll be slow going. The village pieces can stay out for awhile longer. I tend to leave them up thru January because they're as much a winter thing as a holiday thing. All of it is going to need reorganizing when I stash it into bins for storage. Roxy, I pack my stuff as if I were going to move too coz one just never knows. It sure was handy last year when we moved and I didn't have to worry about anything being broken or needing to repack any of it.

We're under a winter storm warning. I'm kinda shocked because it's sort of unheard of around here but there's even snow in the forecast for elevations above 2000 feet. We've broken records for rain during the monsoon this year and now freezing temps! We're getting the tail end of those two arctic cold fronts bearing down on the middle states plus a wet cold front from the west crashing into the arctic fronts. I got a very brief reprieve in the wee hours this morning when the barometric pressure broke for just a bit before the front from the west got here. It's raining now but the next cold system is due any time so our rather normal low of 45 this morning is going to drop back into the 20s tonight. I've lost about half of my outdoor plants even tho I've covered them and I've hauled in as many of the planters with cactus and succulents as I can. Those things are so tough that they can withstand full afternoon sun on a day when the temps reach 120 but since they're made of mostly water with a thin plant skin, they don't survive freezing. The forecast is calling for this biter cold to last until next week and it's going to be as rough for me as the plants. The barometric pressure changes and the cold are taking their toll on people as well since a good portion of the transplanted population moved to Arizona for the health benefits of dry heat. I'm not the only one moving slowly and gingerly as the neighborhood covers up their plants. We're lucky to live in a newer house built just a few years ago so we have central heat, but older houses around here don't even have furnaces in them so that tells you how unusually wicked this winter is for us.

• Like 1

Sorry about all your plants. I think Casey of Caseyminis is having the same problem.

Where I live, we take everything in by September or October at the very latest if we want it to survive.

My rosemary has grown another foot since I brought it in. It's looking hilarious.

I'm off to the surgeon today. Wish me luck. Fingers crossed I'm cleared to go back to aquatics exercise and get my surgery date for the other one.

Bought the cabbage and black eyed peas and ham hocks for our traditional (to New Orleans) New Year's Day dinner. The peas are soaking. Also bought half a sweet potato pie, 'cause I just didn't feel like baking a whole one.

Went back to the ophthalmologist this morning. He was impressed with how quickly L's eye is healing. He goes back on Tuesday for another check, then maybe we'll head to Houston if the weather is nice.

Somewhere I picked up the notion that what you do on New Year's Day sets the pattern for the coming year. I do believe I'm going to pay a lot of attention to the poor, neglected Beacon Hill!

Selkie, I'm sending lots of positive energy and good thoughts that your surgeon's appointment goes well today! You'll be out running races again by the time the robins return. And you have us to keep you company and entertained while you're healing from the second surgery.

Kathie, it's great to hear that Lloyd's eye is healing so fast. Hopefully you'll be able to trek to Houston after all! With both cabbage and black eyed peas for tomorrow, that'll set the tone for good luck all year.

Somewhere I picked up the notion that what you do on New Year's Day sets the pattern for the coming year. I do believe I'm going to pay a lot of attention to the poor, neglected Beacon Hill!

It appears we have a history of the same old wives in our families because that's the way I think about New Year's Day too..........and I was just chatting with Deana and said that I was going to put the Love Shack out on the work table to begin the final stages tomorrow. It might take awhile, but I'm sooooooooooo close to being done! I want this coming year to continue the momentum I've been building up lately: positive thinking, reclaiming the passions in my life like building dollhouses, and staying connected with the people I love most. The past few years stole all those things from me but I'm getting better and most important of all, now that I stopped taking Tramadol, I have my happy back. (who would have guessed that's where it went!) These things are all so precious to me that I'm almost ferociously protective about them and am ready to do whatever it takes to make sure I don't lose them again.

• Like 4

Tramadol is a pain med they give to people with fibromyalgia. When they put me on it 8 years ago they told me it wasn't much more than tylenol, totally non-opiod, and had absolutely no anti-depressants in it. Turns out they lied. (the manufacturer, not my doctor). There was a recent study that showed not only is it highly addictive but it has a seratonin reuptake inhibitor in it. I was supposed to take 8 a day but any more than 4 made me sick so I've been on 4 a day for 8 years. Tracy found out this fall that not only had the FDA bumped it up on the controlled substance list after finding out that it's highly addictive, but it was disclosed that it contains that anti-depressant. I didn't have any problem with the addiction part but I'm extremely intolerant to anti-depressants. Most stroke victims are because of the neurological damage to our brains that cause those types of drugs to react adversely, and even more so if you aren't depressed in the first place. That causes it to work in reverse *and* cause some really nasty side effects. It's convenient for the manufacturer that the side effects are almost identical to the symptoms of the disease they prescribe it for. I won't get into that rant tho. The main thing is that Tracy shared the information with me so I could make the decision about whether or not I should stay on it. Of course I did the smart thing and stepped down my dose by one a day and I won't take them again.

Since I quit taking it, I've been able to think more clearly and feel more like me again. I can see the light in life again and I mean that literally! When I look in the mirror, I see me looking back in my eyes. It's also stabilized my metabolic system and I'm not having problems with my body controlling temperature, sweating, heart rate, and it's even helped with the fatigue. So Tramadol should be listed as an unfriendly alien planet! Not taking it has shot my pain levels thru the roof now but I'd rather have the pain than the effects of a seratonin reuptake inhibitor. Anti-depressants do horrible things to me and I'm horrified to find out that they'd been giving them to me in small amounts for all these years. No wonder I felt so terrible. But I'm feeling much better now and I think it shows. Even Bruce is feeling happier and says he has his wife back again.

• Like 1

Well, got my next surgery date. March 23rd. Start tests for surgery prep on Friday.

Bad news is my allergy to the thread they stitch with, that is supposed to dissolve, are contining to cause small areas of inflammation. It's keeping me out of the exercise claases in the pool.

The MD dug at it to see if he could pull more of it out and got it bleeding in good shape today. Boo hiss.

• Like 1