What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Thanks Roxie. It is a mixed message - should have separated my thoughts.

Its perfectly understandable Selkie. I hope you have a much better new year!!!

I don't think I am going to make it until 10 let alone midnight. I was out in the cold a long time this afternoon I am exhausted. Its going to be early to bed tonight New Year's or not.

I prophesy a nap later today; our next door neighbor shoots off tons of fireworks every New Year's and 4 July and plays his workshop radio full blast until he's tired enough to go in the house, which last night was after 0400.

We didn't make it past 11 last night. The crazies in New Mexico go outside and shoot their guns off instead of fireworks. They were warning people on the news last night if they got caught shooting they would get arrested. It didn't stop anyone.

We have been having warnings of a huge snow storm for days now. As usual, they missed! Its sunny and cold ( 16) but not a snowflake in sight.

I was told today was a "rest" day so we won't be taking the tree down until Saturday. I have been ready for a week now.

Have a good day no matter what you are doing!

Lawanda, I hope that you are feeling better today!!!

• Like 1

Hope you're feeling better Lawanda!

Actually have made a fair amount of progress with my drywall mudding. It's not perfect, but with a little more work it will be okay. I may be able to prime the walls this weekend, with maybe another day of mud work. My throat is getting itchy though with all the dust, so I may have to take a day off from sanding. But I sure am anxious to get all this finished! In 3 weeks it will be a year since we tore everything out and started this project.

Later today we'll head to mama's for New Year's dinner - black eyed peas, collards, and pork roast. Yum!

Happy New Year!!

Got a sirloin tip roast and potatoes in the oven for DH's tradition of having a favorite big meal to start the NY. Made the fav dip to go with his fav chips for watching all the games. Twinkle made choc chip pancakes for breakfast.

And me, well I've had Cheerios and coffee. Hahaha

Will be off ina little while meating up with my parents and get some clay... Gorgeous day putside, clear pale wintery blue and sun, a bit chilly (juuust below freezing) and the wind has diminished a lot, one can only see the tree tops moving slightly.

Got rid of the Christmas tree yesterday as well, so only alittle left to put away. The window lights will get to stay up until next weekend though and the outside Christmas tree as well. It will get so dark when those gets taken down.

Hugs

Molar pulled last Monday; colonoscopy Tuesday (2 weeks for results!); came home and decided the dining room wallpaper needed to come down. (Must have been the anesthetic.) I've been here 15 years and the paper is probably from the 70's. Anyway, it's not 'strippable' vinyl, so I only have 2 walls done. Whoever put it up pasted over some unpainted drywall and various vintage plaster/spackel patches. Did NOT realize how large that dining room is. Back to work tomorrow.

Gloria, hope the test results are happy.

The moon must be in the right phase for changes in the house. I spent a good bit of yesterday hanging some new artwork and rearranging older pieces. As a result, we have two large walls nearly empty and crying for something to display, one in the living room and one in the studio. We have several pieces in Missouri that might like a trip to a warmer climate, and Lloyd is working on two more large wood carvings (1' x 4' shelves with interesting markings are his take-off point).

Did Lloyd ever finish his papermache sculpt?

The construction is finished and it has a coat of gesso top to bottom. He likes the white and mirror appearance and now wants to finish it off by covering it with various textures of white & silver cloth. He's hesitant about adhering the cloth and keeps dropping broad hints that he'd like me to finish it up -- like buy the cloth and stick it on. Not going to happen. I accompanied him to the fabric store and pointed out some options and told him I'd be happy to show him how to stick the fabric to the sculpture with liquid starch, but that's as far as I'm going. I don't like meddling with somebody else's art work.

Meanwhile, he's been carving away on his second pine shelf bas relief. He did finish the first one, so I have high hopes for this one, too. :D

• Like 1

Kathie, that's awesome that Lloyd is having so much fun creating. It helps when the DHs have something to keep them out of our hair....er, I mean, when they have their own creative interests. I think it helps them to better understand what makes us tick.

We're finally pulling up out of the deep freeze we've been in. Another two days and I'll be able to leave my plants uncovered at night. After I can get the smaller pots off my potting bench later this week, I'll finally get it painted so that's one project for this week. Bruce and I got the outside holiday decor down on Friday but the inside stuff remains. I'll work on it gradually by taking down things as I walk past them and stacking them in the living room to be sorted and organized before it goes back into the closet and garage. It's a little overwhelming if I think about doing it all at once so small chunks will get it done.

Gloria and Lawanda, I hope that you're both doing okay with good reports from the doctors. Anna it sounds like you had a simply delightful day with your parents!

Hubby is getting bored--looking at buying an unfinished house (full-size) a couple of towns over.

Ruh ro. Any sentence that starts with "Hubby is getting bored..." is one that makes a wife wince. Of course as long as he goes to play with his house and leaves you to play with your houses, it might not be such a bad thing! Everyone needs a hobby! Um, is he thinking of moving to the new house once it's finished and if so, will you get a big work room out of the deal? :sleazy:

• Like 1

I spent today working on my granddaughter's birthday present. She is turning 13 in a few weeks. I have an album that I bought when she was born. I've accumulated photos over the years but never got around to putting them into the album. Now, with Facebook as a great place to gather photos, I've managed to get nearly 100 that show her growth from birth to teen. I sized the photos and sent the file off to Documart to be printed; I'll cut them apart when I get them back. Then I printed out a genealogy report of her ancestors and an ancestor chart to be put into a 3-ring notebook. 

I haven't been working on minis, but I feel good about all of the loose ends that are getting tied up -- and hopefully clearing the work table for the Beacon Hill. :)

• Like 3

I'd get the third bedroom for my shop--twice as big as what I have now......may as well move while we still can! LOL!

He should get bored more often!!!!  If you're getting a workshop out of the deal then moving is definitely worth it.  If I lived closer I'd come help you pack!  Just think of how lovely it will be to spread out in twice the space.  Yay!

Kathie, that's a wonderful gift for your granddaughter.  She'll love it!  I have a copy of my family history that my aunt compiled and it's one of my most cherished possessions.  When the world feels a little wobbly around me, I read it and it puts me back into a sense of self.  It's important to know who came before us and how that contributes to the person we are.  

Thanks for the support.  The good thing about waiting for a biopsy is they must not think it's bad.  Last year, they knew it was bad before the anesthesia wore off, and were already scheduling surgery and an oncologist that day.

We finally broke out of the bitter cold here and are back into a more normal 70/45 high/low trend.  Whew.  That was unpleasant to say the least but the sun is shining and warm again.  I sat outside in a patch of sun yesterday and let it bake into my bones and felt much better for it.   I just finished hauling all the planters and pots off the patio and back out into the yard, filled up the bird feeders and hummer feeders, and now all is well in my world again.  The little birdies agree.  

Sometime this week I need to paint my potting table.  I got the paint for it right after Bruce finished it but it's been too cold to paint it yet.  By tomorrow or Thursday it'll be warm enough to haul out into the yard and paint which is good because I have some new plants that need repotting and I'm dying to use the table!   On the other hand, I'm quite content with playing in the studio this week so either one is good with me as long as I have paint under my nails.  LOL!  I love wrecking my manicure.  

What's everyone else up to?

We grocery shopped today and enjoyed being out in the sunshine.  Last night was the first night in a couple of weeks it was clear enough to see the full moon Deb and Anna have been talking about.  I'm more of a star watcher, but it was nice to see the moon smiling again.

• Like 1

Well, most of you know my DH has been out of town for a long time, to which I was able to adjust, and was able to handle running the household, earning the living (he's been out of work for about a year) and taking care of my mother. And now he is home - he says he will stay home. Can anybody say - ADJUSTMENT - ??   He still has no work, no hobby, no car (only mine), and basically nothing to do all day. And if I say anything that remotely sounds like a correction he hits the ceiling.  I've been taking the garbage out to the street for the last 14 years - I know where the recycle bin is supposed to go so the truck can pick it up with its big hook, and the newspaper lady can reach the paper holder.  When DH was home for brief stays, and put it in the wrong place, I would go out at night and re-position it. But if he's going to be here full time he needs to know where it really should go. Right? WRONG!  So if you have any spare positive vibes, feel free to send them my way!

Haven't been able to work on my minis for the last 2 months, except for craft-show stuff. BTW - my cutaway boxes with the dolls inside were a big hit! Made 15 of them and sold all but one. :)  I've got a couple micro kits lined up to start working on when I can slow down and get the time. I hear them calling to me, poor lonely babies.   :cry:

• Like 2

He's out of work and has been for a year, with no prospects in sight?  Honey I am praying for you!  His male ego is really beaten and bruised, and he's VERY sensitive about anything, so whatever you say or don't say is wrong (been there, done that). 

• Like 3

Sorry he isn't taking it well, C J.  Being out of work is rough, but taking it out on my wife has never been an option, even when she is the one giving me grief about it. 

We just got back from Houston around 10:15 last night. 

Aside from a lean budget, the trip went remarkably well.  We got to Houston without any major problems and on time.

The wedding went perfectly.  Julianna was one of 5 flower girls and they all behaved during the ceremony.  I even have a video of Liam dancing with the bride.

The next morning we left at 3 a.m.  We decided to make a last minute detour to New Orleans on the way home.  I figured we would get to the French Quarter around 10, which shouldn't be too busy on a weekday.  We were right.  We got beignets and coffee at Café de Monde, then lunch at Po' Boys restaurant around the corner.  It added 2 hours to the trip, but it was well worth it.  Unlike the previous visit 2 years ago, there wasn't a line at either place and the kids really enjoyed the views of the area.  The only problem was that we missed Kathie and Lloyd.   

• Like 3