What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Ever since our month in French Canada DH has taken to using US dollar and half-dollar coins whenever possible, and it's a real hoot sometimes! My fave was the "inexperienced" teen cashier who handed him back the money, said "I'm sorry, we don't take foreign money."

Kathie, I wish Lloyd's cousins a bon voyage and know y'all will show them a royal time.

What am I up to today? This week? Making and decorating cupcakes for a friend's baby shower! Once they are delivered to the shower, DH, MIL and I are heading to Philly to spend the day with our kids. Son's girlfriend goes to a college that has buildings that look very much like Hogwarts from the Harry Potter movies.....so this Saturday is "Harry Potter Day" ! LOL They will have all kinds of activities including a Quidditch Tournament! :D

Just placed an order for the electrical supplies, doors and stair railings I need before I can even start the Colonial. While I wait for those to arrive I am working on the Christmas stockings I promised to make. I have the fronts of three completed and four more to finish. I figured it would go faster to make all the liners at once and sew them together after I've finished the fronts. I've gotten some good responses. Had one at Walmart to look for the fabric for the liner when a woman I've never met got excited and asked me if they had the stockings out already because she loved it and wanted one too. She was disappointed when I told her I had made it. But it really made my day.

I'm recuperating from making the agonizing decision to NOT trade my bike in for a bigger, newer model. I was at the dealership looking for bikes for my ex-brother-in-law, when I saw the 2008 candy-red 1,900 cc Yamaha Star Raider for $8,995 (half it's retail price). I knew my bike would trade for close to half that, keeping the payments low, but my wife wouldn't hear of it. She is right. My bike is paid off, and we need a 2nd car, not a replacement bike. The dealer even got the loan accepted. Now I'm kicking myself for "the one that got away". :p

It didn't really get away, Jeremy -- it wasn't meant to be. There's probably an even more wonderful bike waiting in your future, ready to pop up when the time is right.

I probably would have been just as upset about taking on the new payments, especially since I don't know how the last owner took care of her.

This is what the bike looks like:

http://www.roadburner.com/products.php?rbID=81

Holly, When I was in high school, 11 of us drum line members squeezed into a 1978 Camaro to get to the game one Friday night. Of course there weren't any pre-schoolers involved.

..This is what the bike looks like:

http://www.roadburne...cts.php?rbID=81 ...

Oooo, pretty! No wonder you were tempted!

I drove our Camaro from Coshocton, Ohio, to Jacksonville, FL, with a stop in Montgomery, AL, with my inlaws to wait out Camille, with the three small kids, a dog and all our remaining worldly possessions (and one of the kids and the dog were carsick...). DH hung onto it for a second car until it literally began to fall apart and one of DS#2's buddies and his older brother bought & re$tored it.

We did not go to the hiking conference this weekend, DH felt "strange" when we set up at Frank Jackson State Park Weds but felt well enough for us to hike all the trails there to see all the "Scarecrows in the Park". Yesterday he couldn't finish his breakfast and I tried to get him to stay a couople of more days to rest and drink fluids, but he and I finally got the camper hooked up and we came on home. I expect he'll get up for the Gator game this afternoon, especially since we play the 'Dawgs!

BTW, y'all, "Scarecrows in the Park" is an annual event every October-November. The local government offices, community service organizations, churches, schools and businesses in Opp, AL, make scarecrows to represent whatever. The first year we were there one group had Dorothy, Toto and the gang on the yellow brick road, This time the one I liked was a church that had done four New Testament scenes. The campground has full facilities and is lcated on the water, and IMO is worth a trip to visit. There is a most excellent local restaurant, the B&B, on US 84 West.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a busy day. I had to take an extra long lunch to help my wife out- a guy backed into her car as she was backing out of a parking space. The side of our minivan looks like somebody tried to open it like a can of sardines. She and the kids are alright since it was a slow impact accident and the guy's insurance has already accepted liability for it.

I also just got off the phone with Pat Thomas. A wonderfully sweet lady, but I'm a bit discouraged by what she told me. Large houses stopped selling about 12 years ago and with so many collectors passing away, many houses are hitting the already limited market.

I guess the best I can hope for is to give one of the houses to my daughter and sell the other. That will allow space for just one more project before I find another hobby. I'll have to choose that last house wisely. :(

Well, I am finally back!! Our power came back on this afternoon at right around 3. I have been cleaning and doing laundry like a crazy woman. 11 days with only limited power and no phone or internet is not my idea of fun. I'm just so grateful we came through without any serious damage and no-one was hurt. So many people lost so much. Once the house is clean, I''ll be able to play catch up on minis!

• 1 month later...

Have a few days vacation this week, ie today and tomorrow and am fully enjoying them.

Since I am fairly new in my position as a principle I have to attend a three year long program to be certified as such, and have done the first year now. First year mostly concerns legisislatin issues that might interfere/support the school everyday work so to speak... The course is ended by a written four hours exam since it is arranged through a univeristy and I got my results back by today's mail and passed, whohoooo!!! So can put that behind me now and look into the second year's curriculum.

Will also get a new assignment, ie a change of school since the municipal/town I work in is doing a major change in the organisation of school districts. That means I will only have half an hour drive to work instead of almost a full hour, still the same ages thoug, kindergarten to year five (might be year 6 soon) so all i all a pretty good year ahead.

Oh, and hubby and I are having fun priming and painting the RL sized tool shed that we built from a kit during the summar vacation. First coat of paint is done on the ceiling, nust have to wait 12 hours prior to do second coat... Then same thing with the walls, and THEN we'll put in the flooring and heay duty shelves/cupboards... Almost done, yay!

Hugs

• Like 2

Anna, I'm glad your weather is cooperating with the paint job! Yesterday Jeremy stopped by with his family for a too-brief visit; hoping to repeat on New Year's Day. Meanwhile, with youngest son visiting us for December we're getting ready to take him shopping the after-Christmas sales.

• Like 1

Not really up to much today, the carpet badly needs vacuuming, but I'd much rather work on this crazy granny ripple afghan I'm making in mini, so I guess the carpet'll wait another day LOL. Just now I'm going to go out front of my building and watch the breathtaking activity going on downtown Roslyn on a Sunday morning, and admire the snow. Bundling up VERY well - baby, it's coooooold out there (about 20 degrees F). All have a good one!

Still not feeling good, so going to take it easy the rest of the day. I've had a lingering cold for a week now, horrible sinus issues and now tummy issues. Went to grocery store this morning with youngest son, while oldest is at wrestling practice, and hubby went back to work today. I was hoping to get all Christmas decorations put away today but might have to put that off till tomorrow if I don't start feeling any better. Next week I will start decluttering the workshop so I can start working on the dollhouses.

I couldn't get the gypsy wagon out of my mind, so armed with a pad of graph paper, I just finished doing a pattern. I am going to do a mock-up of it in bristol paper and see how it looks. I'm going to do it in 1/2 scale. So - we'll see what happens in a few days!

• Like 1

I couldn't get the gypsy wagon out of my mind, so armed with a pad of graph paper, I just finished doing a pattern. I am going to do a mock-up of it in bristol paper and see how it looks. I'm going to do it in 1/2 scale. So - we'll see what happens in a few days!

Let me know when you are taking orders! :)

Let me know when you are taking orders! :)

Won't take orders, but would be more than happy to send out pattern pieces to anyone interested if this works out. The outside is not complicated. The wheel assembly probably will be difficult. The inside may not be really complicated either, it will just be a matter of fitting up the pieces the first time. The gypsies really packed a lot into these wee houses!

• Like 1