What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I wouldn't be so nice about it. They'd never come back in my house! As for the little brat, the parents will pay dearly for raising a monster like that. They already are, sounds like. I imagine there are a lot of places already where they are not invited to visit any more. I simply cannot imagine any parent sitting there and allowing that behavior to continue, but I know they're out there, I've had their kids in class. So sorry you had to go through that!

Daphne! I'm about to blow a gasket just thinking about what that kid did to you! I've had model kits smashed by my siblings and unwanted "guests", but I've never been more connected to plastic kits the way I'm connected to my houses. The amount of time and effort to make a house is far more involved, so I couldn't imagine what you're going through.

Hi everyone – thank you so much for your hugs and comforting words. And I’m sorry for the late response – after my last post, I put Hobbes away and went to bed. Woke up about an hour ago, and finally had the courage to enter the dining room and assess everything.

It’s definitely ruined – the front façade is snapped into two pieces as well as the first floor. The sides look bent out of shape and the glue I had applied to install the roof smeared in several areas. Wallpaper’s pretty much shot. Probably could create new pieces using cell foam, but now the thought of it brings tears to my eyes. So everything’s in the recycling bin to be dropped off.

Also called back my parents this morning. We talked for maybe about an hour, but it was really tense. My mother seemed at a loss of what to say – she said sorry for everything that happened, and that she doesn’t know what to say or think. Part of her wants to think the kid’s just being a kid, but at the same time, she’s aware that that basically my cousin’s family violated her daughter and future son-in-law’s property/household. And she said what had happened occurred so suddenly, it didn’t sink in until I opened the door.

My father tried to apologize and offer pay for the damages – he knows how much this hobby means to me. I told him if anyone is supposed to do financial reparations, it’s my cousin and his wife. And I told dad they were lucky Bryan wasn’t home – if this had happened in his watch, they’d be more than just ejected out of the apartment. I admitted to him that Bryan’s more livid at my family for not doing anything.

As for my cousin – I found out from dad that they’re actually staying at my parents’ for the weekend (they’re originally from Chicago). But after last night’s fiasco, my father’s pressuring my mother to have them get a hotel. He admitted that the kid is such a terror, even my niece and nephew (whom my parents are raising at home), refuse to have anything to do with the kid. Dad suspects there's family politics involved so that's why my mother seems hesitant to do anything. Probably my cousin is probably the kid of a prominent cousin of my mother's back home in the Philippines. Or something crazy like that.

He also warned, much to my chagrin, that they are attending the family gathering on Sunday. And he’s more upset with my mother because several of my relatives are attending in order to say congratulations to my and Bryan’s engagement. He didn’t say it directly, but just the fact means we might have to make an appearance…

I’m so torn right now. I’d like to attend to see my relatives, but I don’t know if I can handle the cousin and his family. Dad says they were super quiet during the drive home after the incident, but then again, he did see the parents talking to my mother afterwards. So he’s not sure what’s going on.

Muriel – thought about the bill thing, but how do I approach it? Do I just send it to them via email or something? I’m not close to this cousin at all – should I just relay it to my parents? Don’t even have their contact info to being with.

Jo – totally agree with you about physical discipline. I grew up knowing that if I did something really bad, the punishment was proportional to the “misbehavior”. I understand the concern of child abuse and all, but the biggest difference I really see is that when you have to do physical discipline, you must explain to the child why they’re getting punished at the same time. So they put two and two together.

Melanie – I agree with you about my mother needing to call ahead to time! Did tell her to please do that next time -- especially with Bryan and I doing wedding preparations, we might just simply be too busy to handle guests, family or not. Though am not sure I can hide four cages full of adorable ratties (plus Bryan likes to keep the Winston in the living room for display)! :)

Sherry – I can’t remember the expression on my cousin and his wife’s face when their kid basically “went Godzilla” on the Madison. When I picked the kid up and deposited her at the front door, I cut through the galley kitchen from the dining room so they couldn’t see where I was going. Plus when everyone went through the front door, I kept my eyes focused on the apartment hallway’s floor because I was literally trying to keep my tears in check.

Given this kid’s reaction, wouldn’t be surprised if various businesses (and homes) have the family on a black list of sorts. I get the impression that unless the couple decides on another kid, they’re gonna continue doting on the brat – and encourage this behavior (the wife did seem to be the type that after having the kid, she went through great lengths to be back in shape. Almost as if she didn’t want to look like she had popped out her child or something.)

Jeremy – haven’t blown a gasket yet (am really wishing I can, I really do!), but am hoping it’ll hit me today. Bryan just suggested maybe taking a trip to the miniature shop and find another dollhouse for me to work on. But I’m not sure. Guess I’m so surprised how emotionally invested I had become with the house during construction.

Big Hugs to you Daphne. I would have been YELLING. That kid would have been deaf after their tush was brushed by my closed door.

I would not blame your parents (unless this is something that is ongoing). Those cousins need to send you a proper apology. Even if they cant get their little darling to say it, they should. They should offer to pay for the damages.

But this is not a perfect world, is it?

OMG! You showed alot of restraint. You deserve a Gold star. Go to the thing with your parents. I would relish the fact that those cousins would be there. Oh yes, I would want to go! hehehe

I went to a local church bazaar and picked up my yummy supply of babka. I came home, sliced a piece and slathered margarine on it. Perfect breakfast.

It is nippy today. I guess I could do some leaf raking, huh? Nah! I can do that tomorrow.

Hey Heidi -- thanks for the hugs! Bryan and I might just go ahead and attend the gathering as planned. Hopefully if the little Godzilla (that's what we're calling the kid) does cause a ruckus, the parents have more than just my immediate family to deal with.

I'm trying not to be upset with my parents, but they tend to do the whole "throw me under the bus" thing often. It's been a cause of tension between us for awhile -- but at this point, I'm getting married and soon will have a family of my own. Just have to make sure I don't do the same thing to my own household. But will see where this all goes -- will probably be too busy doting attention on my niece and nephew to notice the little terror! :)

Mmm...haven't had good babka in years. So jealous of you right now. :D

I'll tell you what I'd be tempted to do: Go to the gathering with a printed bill for the damages. In front of everyone, walk up to the little brat's dad and hand it to him, then say 'Here's the bill for those things of mine that your daughter tore up during her temper tantrum last week'! You might hear clapping from the other relatives that know them!

I'd just give them a printed bill in an envelope at the gathering, or send them one, either post if you can get an address from your mum for them, or by email.

I probably would't mention it in front of everyone, 1. don't have the courage I don't think, and 2. think the afternoon will probably be difficult enough without people taking sides. But they do deserve the embarassment!

Work was busy today, very much looking forward to the next couple days off.

I'm having a problem where it gets to supper time and I really don't fancy anything. Not even any take aways or restaurants. But know I've gotta eat or sugar level will go to low. Very frustrating! Everything I think of I think "ugh, no thanks!" :)

Daphne! Oh my goodness, I am sooo sorry! I can't imagine how you are feeling right now, such heartbreak. We really do put a lot of time and effort into this hobby and to have it vengefully bashed to pieces by a rotten child is terrible...

You handled that much better than I think most of us would have. I would have had crazy monster voice and I am certain I would have been viciously mean to the child AND her parents.... not to mention quite a few choice words about parenting and lack there of. I get so frustrated with other parents when they don't teach their kids common freaking decency and manners. :) That just boils my blood!!!!

I'll tell you what I'd be tempted to do: Go to the gathering with a printed bill for the damages. In front of everyone, walk up to the little brat's dad and hand it to him, then say 'Here's the bill for those things of mine that your daughter tore up during her temper tantrum last week'! You might hear clapping from the other relatives that know them!

Exactly. That is exactly what you should do. I'm glad Sherry said it, because that is exactly what I was going to tell you and exactly what I would do in that situation AND I would tell them they were not welcome at my home again. Actually, what SHOULD happen, but doesn't sound like it will... THEY should offer to you WITHOUT your demanding of it. When they see you, they should take care of it. Parents like that need a good dose of their own "medicine." Leave them with another holy terror child that isn't theirs and then give them a recording to show them that their kid is the same way. Rawrg. :D

Daphne, I really am so sorry, and if I had infinite money, I would totally send you a replacement. :):bear:

Daphne, I second this idea. These parents deserve to be embarrassed - if that's possible - and they certainly need to know that there are consequences when they let their child run wild. If they don't learn it when she's little and still has a chance to be taught better, the bills life is going to hand them will be much, much larger than the one you should present. If this rocks some family political boat, then that's too bad. You were violated, and that should never be taken lying down. Just my opinion, and I still admire you enormously for how you behaved at the time - you're a far better lady than I am! :)

LMAO – oh my goodness, I like Sherry’s idea but I have to agree with Muriel. I think I’d be a little too shy to really pull that off in front of my relatives. Especially since a lot of them can be quick tempered!

But I’ll write up an invoice of sorts and have it ready for the gathering tomorrow. If an opportunity presents itself, I’ll hand it to my cousin and let him figure it out. Definitely agree with everyone that hopefully, the parents will start realizing the importance of disciplining their kids. Especially before karma comes and bites them back with a vengeance.

Thanks again everyone for the hugs and the advice. Bryan helped me bring the pieces to the recycling center and offered to take me to the miniature shop and buy me a kit. Oddly enough, I feel bad having him make such an offer, but he kept saying that he’d be a bad husband if he can’t make his future bride happy. So will see.

So again, thank you all – if we all were living close by, I’d be hopping into my car, drive to your house, and be giving you all thank you hugs. Feel a little better, but might take a few days off from the minis before tackling one of my other kits and building again. :)

So hopefully you all won’t mind me ogling and sighing over your work in the meantime (Jo, I’d be willing to give an organ or two for your Persian Prince – though he looks lonely without his Scheherazade). :D

Daphne, just getting caught up with (have not been online much since we've been doing maintenace stuff with the home server system most of today) I admire you your restraint in this situation, I too might have blown a fuse so to speak and I am sending you strenght and courage for the gathering so that you get through it without too much hardship on you. Gotta' love a guy who thinks like Bryam, he is definitley a keeper!!! SNuggle those little furbabies form me as well, will you?

Since we've been offline today I have been doing some chores, ie cleaning, sorting, washing clothes, sorthing the clean ones etc etc and even got to do some mini-ing, yay! Wil have to resize the pics in a sec and share, made a dog house princess style LOL sort of anyhow.

Ahhh, feels good to be home :)

Hugs

Thanks for the hugs Anna -- again, you and everyone here at the forum are just awesome when it comes to supporting fellow members. :)

Bryan and I did attend the gathering at my parents on Sunday, and yes, my cousin and his family are there. Think my parents were worried when we arrived and did our greetings to everyone. Rather than giving the customary hug and kiss, Bryan and I greeting the cousin, wife, and "little Godzilla" with a handshake. A few of my aunts and uncles noticed it, but Bryan simply said "Daphne and I tend to do that when greeting folks we're not familiar with."

Didn't get to interact with the cousin and family as much -- if it wasn't the adults plying/bullying everyone with food (our fridge is bursting at the seams with leftovers -- woohoo! no cooking for a week!), it was relatives asking about wedding plans, or my niece & nephew barraging Bryan and I with questions or showing us their new artwork (we pay for their Saturday art classes and for my niece's school band needs since she took up the clarinet like I did). My cousin and his wife spoke with us a few times but nothing in the conversation ever got into the topic about the incident on Friday.

As for the kid, thought it was interesting that she was acting very subdued in the entire event. But Bryan pointed out to me that when my niece & nephew were playing with the other kids, he said they appeared to be snubbing the brat. I asked my mother in private what was going on, and if all was okay.

Apparently when my relatives were arriving with the kids, little Godzilla was trying to be a bully and getting the kids to play with her. Guess the kids tolerated it for awhile, but according to Mom, the brat terrorized one of my male cousins (we nicknamed him Chip) who's autistic. All the adults heard him screeching and his mother (my formidable Aunt Roxanne) found the brat playing with his toys -- toys that we all know we cannot touch unless he lets us know. All my cousins and especially Chip's twin sister Dale were trying to calm him down. As for Godzilla? She was screaming at Chip to shut up and stop being a cry baby.

My Aunt Roxanne tends to be blunt, and seeing how hysterical her son was, and how callous the kid was being, she dragged my cousin's kid up to him and said his daughter is forbidden to be near her son -- or any of the kids for the rest of the evening.

It was fitting in one way, but at the same time, felt sorry for the kid because she tried to play with the other children, and each of them said "no, Aunt Roxanne said you're not allowed." The wife tried to ask me if I could speak to the kids since they listen to me, but Bryan cut her off saying "I heard your child ruined my fiance's prized project Friday night. Given how much grief you all caused, I'm going to ask her to decline for her own sake."

So no, didn't bother handing the invoice. Think with what had happened, the rest of the evening was spent with the adults being polite with the family until it was time for them to head to the airport (they took an evening flight back to Chicago). Once everyone gave their obligatory goodbyes, my aunts and uncles were pretty much barraging my mother at the "awful" behavior the family displayed once they left. Personally relieved they're not putting it against my parents, but they definitely said if the family visits again, they'll make sure not to plan events around that time. As for how this is going to affect family politics -- my father said to not worry, and that he and my mother will deal with the consequences.

Am just glad it's over, and everyone can finally move on with their lives. Was going to take a break from the minis this week, but Bryan surprised me by pointing to a kit that's on auction on EBay that he thought was up my alley. So he said to bid on it and he'll pay the seller the costs. Will see where that goes.

First off, I would like to share a bit of Autumnal music.

Natalie will be turning 17 years old in 3 days. She is having a couple friends stay over on the weekend for Halloween festivities. This will be THE last sleeping over party type thing for me in my house forever. If grandkids want a sleepover, they can have their Mother do it. hehehehe

So this is a celebration! WooHoo! I am going to make some nice food for Saturday night (pizzas, veggie platter, cookies, etc etc) and the are going to a Halloween Party on Sunday. Pretty nice to be young..huh?

I can see from my window here behind the computer that the leaves are steady falling. It is rather pretty except for the fact that they are going to have to be cleaned up pretty soon.

I have some errands to run today but otherwise I am still in the midst of fall cleaning inside and outside.

Ooh -- Heidi, this party sounds exciting! Even the food too! Mmm....pizza and veggie platters with dips....mmmmmmm

Wish I could do some fall cleaning as well -- Bryan's friend is flying down from Boston this Thursday to attend the Colbert rally here in Washington DC on Saturday. Have to clean the apartment inside and out -- hopefully Bryan will do his share by at least getting all the beddings washed and ready for our guest. :)

Daphne, I'm pleased that the horrible situation seems to have been put to rest. Bryan has been a real support and what a fab husband he's going to make. I do hope you get a new kit to help you forget about this unfortunate event. You can take comfort in the fact that both of you acted with the utmost dignity, something I would have struggled to find in the circumstances. It seems as though the rest of your family are in sympathy with you too which is comforting.

Daphne, I'm pleased that the horrible situation seems to have been put to rest. Bryan has been a real support and what a fab husband he's going to make. I do hope you get a new kit to help you forget about this unfortunate event. You can take comfort in the fact that both of you acted with the utmost dignity, something I would have struggled to find in the circumstances. It seems as though the rest of your family are in sympathy with you too which is comforting.

:):D:) Thanks Heidi -- very happy it's done as well. :):bear::D:(

Ooh -- Heidi, this party sounds exciting! Even the food too! Mmm....pizza and veggie platters with dips....mmmmmmm

Wish I could do some fall cleaning as well -- Bryan's friend is flying down from Boston this Thursday to attend the Colbert rally here in Washington DC on Saturday. Have to clean the apartment inside and out -- hopefully Bryan will do his share by at least getting all the beddings washed and ready for our guest. :)

You and I will be cleaning at the same time. I know these 2 kids for a long time and they have slept over before but I have to clean the house. LOL I was brought up that when company comes..you clean up the big chunks!

Daphne, I am so sorry about your Madison. I'm glad everything went okay yesterday though. I was thinking about you. I'm not sure how I would have handled it, but it sounds like you did perfect. And good luck on winning your new kit! How exciting!

It was a beautiful weekend here. Lawson's WAVE Team performed at a local fall festival, and that went really well. Today, not so pretty. We had thunderstorm warnings and tornado watches this morning, but luckily those are all done now, and the sun is trying to come out.

Today is my daughter Anslee's 19th birthday. She is away at college, thi sis the first time she hasn't been home. I saw her the last 2 weekends, and she'll be here for a second this coming weekend, but not today. I cried all day yesterday, at the drop of a hat. By the end of the night Brian and the boys were afraid to even look at me! I asked the boys if they knew what today was, and they both said Monday and Superhero day (this is homecoming week so they dress up every day), and I cried. I told Brian I swept the bathroom while they were waiting in the car for me to leave, and he made fun of me and said that was the perfect time to do that, and I cried. I asked the boys if they wanted a light-up pumpkin in their room, they said no, and I cried. Then Brian told me at the end of the night he was sorry I was so sad, and I cried. It was funny, though, every time I started crying, I would also start laughing. The crying was just uncontrollable. I read about Daphne's house, and I cried. Thought I was doing better today, then I read Heidi's post about Natalie's birthday, and just about started again. Hope I get over this soon! I've been stressed and emotional since Friday night when the dog ate my chandelier I had made. Thankfully, it is repairable, I just need to get a new wire and bulb.

Hope everyone has a happy day today! :)

Oh my Tracy -- hope everything is okay! sending you hugs x infinity :)

Bryan's grandmother always said that for each tear one sheds, simply equates to two instances of laughter. I'm gonna hope and pray that it will be true for you!

Heidi -- you and me both! My mother used to be like that -- even if it's people who our house like the back of their hands, she brings out the hoover and the mops and goes on cleaning mode! Guess she passed that gene to my sister and I as well once we got our own places! :D

My eyes were opened today. Chelsea was looking at kitchen things and I told her we just did not have room for it. She said it is not her house but she would get rid of the fishtank and the armoire (that holds all the art supplies) so that we could out a narrow and long table for using as an extension if the kitchen. I am open to her ideas and I can see it. I just want to know where my stuff is gonna go. Paints, minis, everything. She thinks I am getting rid of it to make room for her to cook. Hmm. She needs to check herself. Lol

I like this idea but I don't have alot of room.

Too funny, Heidi, the teenaged mind at work. Sounds like it's time to let her know that she can have all the stuff she wants -- when she gets her own kitchen. :monkeydance:

What Kathie said! "You can use the stuff that is here already to cook until you get your own kitchen, then you can get all the bits you want."

I want a holiday! At the moment just seem to be working one week to the next wishing it was the end of the week already. Got a couple extra days off next week, but only total of 5 days in a row off, so not hugely different to 3 I would normally have off, and have to work an extra day at the end of the week :monkeydance: But still hoping it will reset how I feel! I think part of it is that normally I work every second saturday, and have mondays off. Howerver for the last 6 - 8 weeks I've had many appointments on the mondays, so kinda missed my second day off. Sadly day 3 in my time off is appointment day again, but never mind!

The plan for me was that when SHE leaves..I will take over the bedroom for my art stuff. Then this room will have more room. So I am open to getting rid of the armoire but after she goes..hehehe

She did say that it was not her place to say really because it was not her house..So she understands that.

I raked and raked and raked and raked and raked. The trees are not done denuding so I have not bagged anything yet..LOL I am saving the top yard for a paid teenage boy. He needs gas money.

A very blustery October day here. Dark, cloudy, gloomy with wind at 28mph, gusting to 38 mph. The noises is annoying. Rain has fallen most of the day and forcast is for rain/snow mix. It is the perfect day for my bread baking lesson. For years I have wanted to learn how to make the perfect loafof bread (not with bread machine but the old fashioned way). Set that as my winter goal so today I got the bread cookbook out and have the first attempt rising now. With homemade chicken noodle soup it should make a perfect dreary evening supper.