What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Oh, feel so much better today! Not 100% better yet, but eyes are back to normal and head only hurts when I bend over or laugh. I'll give the caffeine a go next time though! Slowly went away sometime overnight. Last night still felt dreadful, even felt nauseous in the evening. After lying on the sofa for a couple hours went to sleep at 9. By 1:30am when low sugar levels woke me up my head felt much better already. Hopefully another nights sleep will cure it completely!

That's wonderful news, Muriel! I used to get occasional migraine headaches that felt like my head was going to explode, especially in sunlight. I don't miss them one bit!

Today we went into Tallahassee and ran errands and brought DS out to feed him Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow.

I just got home from my first shopping trip of the weekend! Worked today on getting my lists ready, coupons pulled, etc. I went to CVS and Walgreen's at midnight and got fun stuff like shampoo, paper towels, and toilet paper! Doesn't take much to excite me. I'll be up early to hit the non-24 hour stores when they open, and Rite-Aid. Then come home and cook some squash and head to Mama's.

Then I'll go out shopping tonight, and again early Friday morning! I'll also find some time to shop online. That's the easiest, but less fun. Yay!

Happy Thaksgiving! :)

Tracy, I'm rolling on the floor laughing. I think you must have gotten the shopping genes that I'm missing. You go, girl! I'm doing my part by not adding to the crush of shoppers. :)

Sad thing is Kathie, I actually really don't like to shop very much. But I like bargains, so sometimes the shopping is a necessary evil. I have already placed some orders online for Black Friday items that were available online.

Now this is really going to make you laugh... After waiting outside (it was 66 degrees so not bad) for 45 minutes, and only 15 minutes to go until the store opened, I decided to leave and come home! I'm usually really good about talking myself out of things.

Only once was there an item that DH & I waited on line for one Black Friday, and we both decided never again! The people-watching isn't even that much fun!

I've got to go out for a haircut this AM and make a batch of chili shen I get home for my friend's birthday party Sunday.

Well, we are babysitting so DIL can go shopping. She still needs some things for Kolbi's birthday next week. So I guess I'll put the minis up and clean house, do laundry, all that not-fun stuff today.

Holly, I forgot to tell you that I will be going over to Roy's this weekend, to take photos of the half scale mill. It's pretty much done, up and running! He had the devil of a time getting the mill machinery to run right, I think he said he bought 8 motors before he found one that would run that stuff! It's apparently really hard to find parts for a half scale mill! He bought the metal gears from England and one was warped, had to order again, from a company that is only open one day a week, and it took 3 weeks to get them. I will also take pictures of his Model T gypsy wagon while I'm there, and post them for everyone to see...its such pretty colors!

Today I am going to decorate our new pre-lit Christmas tree. I will take pictures afterward. Then I am going to string lights outside. Nothing fancy. I wanted to rake up the last of the leaves but it rained overnight so they are all wet now.

Dinner yesterday was really good. The carne asada was out of this world. You could really taste the lime juice. I am going to do that again.

I said I am NOT going shopping but I may do a little today. Some stocking stuffer shopping. We decided this year that we are only going to spend about $30-40 on each person. That is it. I said I would still do stockings cause I like it.

So I really do not need to rush out for the big screens and the latest gadgets cause I can only spend that amount. Rules are rules..hehehe

8 hours. That's how long I was out shopping today. On 4 hours of sleep. I just got home a little bit ago, and I am exhausted. I am going to eat, then clear a spot on the bed (where all the bags are right now) to lie down for a while. And I actually did very little line waiting. Only waited about 5 minutes to get into 1 store, and only had to wait in line in 3 stores, only about 10 minutes a piece. So not bad at all. And I didn't get any electronic gadgets either. But I went with my mom and sister, so there was a lot of wait-on-another-person time. We had a good time though. Later this afternoon I will start getting out decorations, and tonight I need to start making a list of everything I have bought so far.

I got a haircut this AM. The ground turkey I took out of the freezer last evening to thaw in the fridge was still rock-solid when I got from the haircut, so I just finished the chili and got it into the fridge for Sunday. One of our friends is having a birthday party and it's a "bring your favorite chili" affair.

I'm actually finally feeling a bit better, so today I tackled the house. Amazing how fast the cat hair builds up, and Zeb isn't much of a housekeeper. By the time my eyes could focus really well on the floor, it looked like I was trying to felt a rug. But that fur's all gone now!

I also brushed all the kitties. I usually do at least twice a week, but the past two weeks I've been lax about it. Gizmo gives me enough that I'm saving it, to someday hand-spin it and make something cool, perhaps a tiny little knitted purse.

I still can't tolerate much in the way of eating, but I seem to have developed an obsession for Dannon's Vanilla yogurt. (I'm still on antibiotics and will be till my doc appointment on monday.

I ate two containers of yogurt for dinner, LOL. I'll probably eat another before bedtime. Not back to normal yet but I can see a distinct improvement.

So...things are looking up! FINALLY!

:)

DS#3's stump-tailed ginger tom is a Gizmo, too.

We're slowly getting it into gear to go kayaking. Our friend wants to do a section of the Chipola River called "Look & Tremble" (with the water this low it's supposed to be sloser to "thread between the shallow places"), which we have never done beforel It ought to be interesting, if not outright fun. TTYL

We're slowly getting ready for the move southward, with slowly being the operative word. So many little things to think about, so many details to attend to! The Beacon Hill box will be one of the first things loaded into the van, since it's so heavy. Don't know why I'm obsessing about gathering up kitchen utensils, since I won't be doing any major cooking immediately upon arrival. Knowing people will be in the house while we're gone to water house plants, check furnace, etc., am also obsessing about leaving it clean, clean, clean. Have managed so far to move major computer programs and data from my computer to the one that we're taking with us (and leaving there). All at sixes and sevens here and wishing I could just spend a day playing with minis. Target date for leaving: Friday, December 3.

That's the same day our kids are moving into Lubbock! I am so glad, it will be easier on everyone to have them here where we can babysit, pick Colten up at school in the afternoons so he doesn't have to go to daycare, and Amber doesn't have to commute in bad weather. But they move on the 3rd and have birthday party for Kolbi on the 4th! Long weekend ahead.

Not going to church this morning, I hate to sit and cough and sneeze all through the sermon, and it's one of those days. So I will get the play room cleaned up, now that I am through with actual construction for a while!

Well, Kathie, it sounds like y'all finally got through the closing! I'd be interested to hear all about THAT! I got one of those "we changed your appointment" cards from the cardiologist's office, so instead of playing hop, skip & jump with the pacemaker on Tuesday I get to go in on Friday, 12/3, to have it done. Since the plumber is due to begin on our Christmas gift to each other that same day, I get to navigate Tallahassee traffic all by myself (oh, joy).

In a little while I need to get the chili out of the fridge and start reheating it for this evening. It got down to freezing last night.

Yesterday we paddled a "new" (to DH & me) section of the Chipola River. The "look & tremble" section is a bit of shoals that are almost Class I rapids when the water's low, like it has been, and shooting through them I felt very much like the last little piggy. Of the four of us who tried them, only one boat rolled; and as I began to paddle across to the take-out, fighting one hellacious current, I had a moment of abject terror as DH, the last one to go, came through just fine and immediately rolled over! He popped up immediately and I got close enough to let him grab onto my boat, and then I paddled with everything I had to get us across the current to the shelf of karst on the west side of the river, where the takeout was. I paddled back and tried three times to reach his boat, which was pinned to the side of the bank but, strangely, not moving downstream. One of the other ladies, in a white-water boat, was already there and had turned it rightside up. I tried to salvage a couple of things that had fallen out (a sponge and a water bottle) but I was having all I could do trying to reach his boat. Finally I sent back and let DH have my boat, and one of the other younger paddlers borrowed the canoe and she was able to get over and relieve the lady holding the boat up. Whatever knot DH had used to tie his little Danforth anchor wasn't coming untied, and the anchor had fallen out when he rolled and had caught on the limestone, so the boat was going nowhere. The second person was able to cut the rope and she paddled DH's boat back whilst the first lady towed the canoe back. When we got home I cooked him a comfort-food supper and today I'm spoiling him.

Sounds like he deserves it, and so do you! How scary!

I'm cutting out pieces for the easy chair, while the tamales thaw. There is a wonderful tamale place in town that makes the best tamales I've ever eaten, and they finally starting selling them in the grocery store here. Just can't wait for some tamales, rice, and beans!

Scary Holly! Glad everything turned out ok though.

Happy first Advent Sunday :)

Went to visit my sister for her birthday on Friday night. We're having a big freeze here in the UK, highest it got to this weekend was about 30 degrees. Had some snow friday afternoon where I work, about 1.5 inches on the car, but none had settled on the roads. No more snow in our area since then. Did some birthday shopping on Saturday before Chris took my sister to Harry Potter while I babysat and cooked beef roast for dinner. Was about 7 by then and didn't fancy driving home, so stayed another night. On the way home today stopped at the mall, but we only went to a couple of the shops outside (TK Maxx and Hobbycraft) and then went out for lunch at TGI Friday. Home watching IceAge 2 now. Got a breadbin, Hat, Gloves, cooling rack for cookies, and a gingerbread train kit. Going to Chris' parents house for christmas day and they like trains, so thought we'd bring that instead of cookies.

Got a Drs appointment in Bristol tomorrow afternoon. Would rather not go as I've got another two appointments on the following two mondays in Bristol too, but it has to be done :) About a 45 minute drive there, plus 30 minute search for a parking space. Drive back is always during rush hour so often nearly 2 hours. Might do some christmas shopping in Bristol before the appointment, depends what I feel like doing tomorrow :( Most of our presents are online things, so Chris will order them. I'll do little presents and non online stuff.

Good grief, Gertie! Poor Knox! Sounds like a major rescue operation ... thank goodness you were near enough to get him!

Well, Kathie, it sounds like y'all finally got through the closing! I'd be interested to hear all about THAT!

The actual closing went easily, much to our surprise and thanks to the miracle of modern electronics. Original closing date (before the parish computer committed suicide, taking down the title and conveyance records for several years past) was Wed Nov 18. We expected a delay of several weeks, and even on the Monday the 17th, the title company was not optimistic. On the 19th, however, the title company called me and said they were okay to close. At that point, Lloyd was in NOLA and I was in MO. The title company emailed the pertinent docs to me. I printed them and took them to the bank, where I signed and had them notarized and got a cashier's check for the amount due. (This was a cash sale, no mortgage company involved.) I overnighted that with a copy of my driver's license to the title company. Lloyd and the other parties met at the title company at 11:30 and completed the rest of the paperwork, and he walked out with the keys.

So now we're in a state of flux. I'll be glad when we get there!

This is a tough time of year to move, Kathie...I know you must be exhausted.

You'll make your move and then have the holiday season to immediately deal with. I don't envy you in the least!

Look at it this way: Pretty soon it'll be all over! You can get back to really doing mini work again!! No more upheaval! (Hopefully)

:)

@ Holly -- yikes! What a scary experience! Hope your DH is enjoying the plans you have for him. :)

@ Kathie -- please try to find time to rest whenever possible! :( Talk about a busy schedule for you and your family!

Keeping the holiday preparations minimal this year -- am only getting gifts for my immediate family and for Bryan and his immediate family (since I'll be going up to MA for the holidays). Most of my relatives I donated to two local charities and resorted to making handmade cards with customized messages and a note saying that a donation was done in lieu of gifts. Hopefully not all will be upset -- I used to order gift baskets for each family. But with this being a tough economy (and dealing with the wedding), hopefully this will be more meaningful.

Picked up wrapping paper and supplies today, and wrapped the first group of presents. Tempted to set up the tree today, but think Bryan will be upset that I set up and decorated the tree before he comes back from MA.

Finished eating the last of the leftovers my family gave me from Thanksgiving, and am looking forward to some homemade chicken noodle soup tonight. Made roasted chicken last night for an impromptu dinner gathering and saved the bones and drippings to make the broth this morning. So the apartment smells great. Just need to throw in veggies, some leftover chicken and ham, and some noodles and it should be tasty. Might give my pet ratties some chicken and veggies to nibble since they've been super sweet to their mom while their dad's away! :)

<sigh> Now if tomorrow wasn't a work day -- we got a four day holiday, but honestly, just feel exhausted! :)

Holly, eeek, that must have been so scarey! No wonder you are spoiling him!!! :)

Kathie, must be a great feeling to be so close to the move, yet also sort of over-whelming, sending strenght and energy your way!Daphne, hope things slow down a little for you :) and I can relate to the not doing the decorations until Bryan is back again, and that chicken noodle soup sounds dreamy!

Muriel, take care while out driving, OK? I think we have about the same kind of weather over here as the weather is really winter-y over here with more of that white cold stuff comin not down but in side ways, I think we have about 7-8 inches of it by now and the temp is way below freezing so it is here to stay a little while according to the weather gurus... Oh well, it will leave for an interesting ride in to work in the morning...

Had some fun earlier today ordering minis for MIL's Christmas gift, things she has been talking about for a while which will be a nice surprise I hope.

Speaking of fun, or something LOL, I will be going to London in mid-January on work related stuff, (the BETT conference) so won't have much spare or free time but am hoping that I might be able to see/do something mini-fun while there.

Hugs

Blue sky today with very cold temps and wind! Some snow tonight/tomorrow early morning, but only a sprinkling here they say. Got a day home tomorrow, so will enjoy staying in the warmth!

Cooking a ham on the stove at the moment! Will have some delicious warm stuff for lunch before I go, then Chris can do Baked Potatoes and veggies for when I get home to have with more ham. Yummy!