What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Today was a long overdue laundry day. Got all the beds changed and sheets washed. All the other stuff is just about completed. Kitchen got cleaned and floor moped. Dogs (especially the retriever) have been dragging in lots of leaves stuck to their coats.

The Montclair is temporarily on hold while DH is working on a cradle to hold it on its side while I work on ceilings and walls. Sigh!!!! In the meantime I started another little project the quarter scale "Cobbles" I picked up at the Seattle Name Convention last summer. Got the shell of the house put together but have to do some castings of the roof and stone trim.

I also have a passel of floors to finish up staining and sanding etc., for the rest of the bedrooms, hallways and attic rooms. I also have the new stair cases to stain. Maybe later this week end.

post-557-1290112172_thumb.jpg

For those of you who don't know, I'm somewhat vertically challenged, and over the past few weeks the weather turned COLD and I discovered that all the lovely new long pants I acquired since the last cold day we'd had (February?) were dragging the ground and getting trod underfoot, so today I've been merrily hemming then so they no longer risk tattering. I also got the new chair seats finished and installed on the 1:24 diningchairs and pressed the little tablecloth to hang, so if it's sunny tomorrow I can take pictures of the new diningroom furniture in the Fairfield.

Yesterday my son Lawson and his WAVE Team performed at Atlantic Station in Atlanta. Me and my Mama went and we had so much fun. I played in the "snow" (they had a big pile of ice sectioned off for kids to play in) and made a little bitty snowman, and then me and Mama made bracelets in the kid craft booth (they asked us if we wanted to). Then we looked at the little market booths they had set up, lots of jewelry and scarfs and hats. The group did a wonderful job on their performance too.

Here's video of the performance if you're interested...

Lawson is the boy with glasses that's on the front row on the left in the first song.

Now this weekend I will start planning my shopping this weekend, actually will start Wednesday at Midnight at the 24 hour drug stores. I have all my coupons ordered and in, so I need to finalize my lists and get everything organized.

Then clean the house to get ready for Christmas decorations! :giggle:

Thanks Mary! I'm quite proud. :giggle: It's all sign language. They perform all over the southeast. They have a busy Christmas schedule this year, including Rock City TN in a few weeks. That will be fun! :doh:

Oh, and something funny. One of my friends from high school saw a picture on Facebook last night, and asked what school he went to. It seems her niece does the same thing with her school, and was in my picture! Small world!

Bryan's taking the train up to MA to spend Thanksgiving with his family in Cape Cod while I stay put to mind the ratties and spend the holiday with my family. Figured it's the last Thanksgiving he and I will have before getting married.

Today's just shuttling between finishing the cottage and doing last minute errands before Bryan's departure. Then all next week will be handling web/IT projects at the office (before the "holiday crush" as my department likes to call it), getting the ratties' vet appointments done (all six are due for a nail cutting), start holiday shopping (Bryan's family is done, but have to finish my family and finishing the holiday cards for my relatives). All while making food for Thanksgiving (making caramel flan and orange cake for my family, and making homemade ice cream for my friends' annual "Orphan Turkey Dinner"). Man, really hope I'll get some sleep come this coming Friday! :giggle:

Just waiting for the WAVE videos to stream so I can watch them :giggle:

Woke up this morning with a headache, sometimes happens when my sugar is low, and then usually an hour or so after I've eaten it disappears. This one has been horrid and lasted all day long. At the moment the only painkiller I can take is paracetamol, but unfortunately paracetamol has never done anything for me, it is as if I've taken nothing. Had to go out and get some shopping and pick up an ebay win, but did not enjoy the driving. Hardly ever suffer headaches, certainly very very rarely before I developed diabetes. Wondering if it is a bit migrainy as my eyes have been affected too. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow or I may need a trip to see the doctor :doh: Have been drinking water, so not dehydration either.

Can't say what the ebay item was, it is somewhat mini related, but it was an excellent purchase. It isn't new, but in excellent condition and got it for 17% of what it would cost new and included a few extras. Was looking forward to a day off tomorrow, but remembered I've got to take the car in for new front break disks and pads and a new tire, so gotta get up early to drop the car off. What a pity! I do get a courtesy car until they're done with mine, but hope it doesn't take all day. Will maybe get some christmas shopping done while I wait.

Oh dear Muriel -- the headache sounds awful! Is there anything else the doc can recommend to handle the headaches? :doh:

As for your question -- the date's been set for October 9, 2011 (Sunday evening reception). We finally put the deposit on the venue (there's a quaint historical "inn" restaurant within George Washington's Mount Vernon estate) and we're slowly narrowing down vendors. My family's helping us along the way with recommendations, but my mom's pretty sad that I refuse to shop for a wedding dress until March (even though she knows I'm narrowing it down to two dresses -- question is whether I'll be able to find them).

Can't decide what's more weird -- seeing the various "wedding musts" magazines and websites keep insisting upon brides (Really? Wearing heels covered with Swavorski crystals? Are they insane -- no one's gonna see my #&@*#@^$ feet beneath the #@*&#@*& gown!!!!) OR seeing the looks of confusion on everyone's face when they find out that I'm not going nuts over the preparations. A few of them complained that I'm being too "laid back". One aunt -- while I love her dearly -- lamented that I was being a "shameless bride" for not thinking/talking/sleeping/eating weddings!

Goodness, it's about 11 months away -- when March comes around, then yes, I'll start panicking. But other than that....am more focused on the upcoming holidays than my own wedding. :giggle:

Oh, ignore all the obsessives! Hehe. We set a date over a year ahead of time and did things at our own speed too. Only sent invites out 6 months before date because so many were invited from far overseas! Flukely found my dress on Ebay in a closing down sale. Saw what I wanted about 15 months before the wedding, but knew there was no way I could afford it, so was looking into ways of making/getting something similar for much much less. Was about to order the jacket when the dress I wanted came up in my size on ebay. Got it new for about 15% of original cost, had it altered quite a bit and loved it. I hope you find your dress without too much bother, but even in March I wouldn't stress about it!

I looked at some wedding magazines, just cause I was getting married and had an excuse to, but can't say that I actually followed any of their recommendations! Did find a couple colour schemes that I liked from their pictures, but in the end didn't go with any of them anyway.

Good luck and enjoy the build up, and don't let anyone else's stress stress you out!

Daphne, I love looking through all those bride magazines and books (I'm the amateur family wedding planner). I don't know how big and grand your affair will be, there are some things I see being mentioned time and again which I think can be dispensed with altogether. Like wedding favors, most people toss them anyway. Back in the Victorian era, people like the Vanderbilts would give pearl necklaces to the ladies and pocket watches to the gents at grand balls, and this seems to be some holdover from that genteel custom of flaunting the wealth. Unless the favor is something like bubbles for your grand exit or flower seeds since your date is in March, anything else is pretty much a waste of money you might need to spend elsewhere - weddings aren't cheap!

A new trend I see is wedding dress companies telling you you need a special dress for each occasion - the engagement party (possibly), rehearsal dinner, wedding ceremony (the only critical one), wedding reception (a big gimmick to try to pressure families into coughing up even more money for an extra dress for a bride with stars in her eyes and thinking 2 is twice as nice!), after party (great fun in Hollywood after something like the Oscars, but completely unnecessary unless the bride is addicted to clubbing), and going away dress (a nice touch). This is only a shameless way to shake more money out of the bride and her family, in my opinion.

Lavishly printed ceremony programs and menus. I don't hang onto a menu when I dine at a restaurant, I know that soup and salad will come before the entree, and the desert comes last. Perhaps if you're dining at the White House, you might want a printed menu that can be taken home as a souvenir, but aside from that I don't see the point!

And you are so right about the shoes! Unless you're wearing some clinging sheath, the shoes will never be seen, except for the garter toss. Wear some nice comfy shoes, you'll be on your feet quite a bit.

People seem to be expecting you to be a Bridezilla!

Thanks everyone for the feedback -- and Lynette, think you're onto something with the last sentence in your post! It seems there's an expectation to become a Bridezilla. Guess I've seen so many shows -- and witnessed many a friend turned bride -- that celebrate the whole Bridezilla persona. Frankly, it's terrifying and the way I look at the preparations, if I can't handle this, then how am I suppose to handle more stressful situations during marriage? :giggle:

Most of the things I purchased was via Etsy (Bryan and I opted to try and support local businesses/venues as much as possible), or doing as DIY (I had my invitations done via a designer on Etsy, but plan to print them on my printer, cut them to size and assemble them). The fact our venue is local, we found out that the cost per person was way less than most places in the DC Metro area (found out the average cost of a wedding in my area -- between $26K - $47K). Working with a flower seller at the Farmer's Market I frequent to see what seasonal/local flowers I can use. Everyone in our wedding party is simply instructed the color and materials (and length of dress for the ladies) -- it's up to them to find a dress or suit that best suits them. Bryan plans to buy matching shirts & ties for the men, and I'm getting all the ladies matching shrugs and bracelets -- that's basically their gifts from us.

In terms of favors, Bryan suggested that we do a donation in lieu of favors -- we both make it a point to donate to causes near and dear to our hearts, so we figured that will be more meaningful to our families and friends. Though the challenge we're having is narrowing it to which charities to donate! :doh:

(As for the shoes -- I'm planning to wear custom Converse sneakers under the dress. Figured Bryan will laugh since on our first date, I was wearing my beloved pair of chucks). :)

Back "in the day" DH & I planned our own wedding, since we were paying for it (my folks had already renegged on my last year of university); invitations were handwritten, my maid of honor & I made our dresses, DH owned his tux and his best man (from India, his roommate) wore his white dress suit. My folks showed up two days before and decided to have a reception (when they found out DH's family was coming), and DH's folks put on a rehearsal dinner for us.

Yeah, we're pretty much paying for it ourselves (my family is helping out but money is tight with them so I'm limiting what they're doing. Bryan's parents haven't really said or done anything but he's gonna inquire when he goes up this week). We managed to save up enough to cover the main things, but figured if we stay faithful to our financial budgeting, we'll be able to add more funds to the mutual pot...

In a way, I envy you and your maid of honor for making dresses (that's a skill I'd love to learn). Bryan and I figured if we can help reduce costs to our wedding party, we'll do it as well.

Oh dear Muriel -- the headache sounds awful! Is there anything else the doc can recommend to handle the headaches? :)

As for your question -- the date's been set for October 9, 2011 (Sunday evening reception). We finally put the deposit on the venue (there's a quaint historical "inn" restaurant within George Washington's Mount Vernon estate) and we're slowly narrowing down vendors. My family's helping us along the way with recommendations, but my mom's pretty sad that I refuse to shop for a wedding dress until March (even though she knows I'm narrowing it down to two dresses -- question is whether I'll be able to find them).

Can't decide what's more weird -- seeing the various "wedding musts" magazines and websites keep insisting upon brides (Really? Wearing heels covered with Swavorski crystals? Are they insane -- no one's gonna see my #&@*#@^$ feet beneath the #@*&#@*& gown!!!!) OR seeing the looks of confusion on everyone's face when they find out that I'm not going nuts over the preparations. A few of them complained that I'm being too "laid back". One aunt -- while I love her dearly -- lamented that I was being a "shameless bride" for not thinking/talking/sleeping/eating weddings!

Goodness, it's about 11 months away -- when March comes around, then yes, I'll start panicking. But other than that....am more focused on the upcoming holidays than my own wedding. :doh:

Daphne, are you registered at your favorite mini stores? :giggle: (just kidding!)

Just changed to the Frosty look in honor (or something like that) of the third round of white cold stuff coming from the sky.... Looks great from the inside, but it is coooold, sort of anyhow... Will be going out of town on yet another two day conference, good thing we are going by bus and not have to drive far in this slush. DH will give me a lift into town in the morning which is a treat as well.

Other than that, have started to count down until Christmas Holidays start, ie 22nd oF Dec, can hardly wait!!!

Lots and lots of stuff happening both workwise but also with the renovations of this sweet little ol' house, progress even if by baby steps so that feels nice. Come Christmas Holidays I will also hand back the part time principal sub I have had the joy of dealing with, so that will feel a bit odd not to have anymore, but who knows what else is around the corner awaiting huh???

OK, a few more posts and then pillow time!

Hugs

Back "in the day" DH & I planned our own wedding, since we were paying for it (my folks had already renegged on my last year of university); invitations were handwritten, my maid of honor & I made our dresses, DH owned his tux and his best man (from India, his roommate) wore his white dress suit. My folks showed up two days before and decided to have a reception (when they found out DH's family was coming), and DH's folks put on a rehearsal dinner for us.

That sounds like my wedding! :giggle:

My wife and I had to change our plans and got married a year earlier than planned. I wasn't going to let my wife suffer a courthouse wedding, but we were broke. Fortunately, my boss got the cake, another co-worker took care of the flowers, and my dad was able to get a discount at the Thomas Center (he works there and its a very romantic location). Even our property manager helped out by arranging for a clubhouse for the reception. My DW chose a simple white gown and I wore a suit with my kilt. We were up until 4 a.m. the night before, cooking (we also catered our own reception), but it went off without a hitch. My only regret was that my wife's parents couldn't attend.

Daphne, a very good friend of mine did Converse when she got married, too. She had all white with her new name on them and the word "bride." I custom made the ones for the bridesmaids and maid of honor. They were navy blue and I tagged them with a silver sharpie, "bridesmaid" on one shoe and their name on the other. We also replaced the shoelaces with pretty white ribbon. They were so comfortable and since her wedding was outside, we didn't have to worry about sinking into the grass!!!

I still have lots going on here. Many, many projects and so far, none of them are mini. :giggle:

Egads. I need to go to bed. It's a quarter to 3!!

Well rather than 'just' a horrid headache, it is my first migraine! Had it 60 hours now :'( It is a tiny bit better today while taking codeine from doctor, but still hurts, especially if I have to put my head up or down - which i desperately try not to do, but sometimes it just happens and then thump thump thump I'm in agony again. In fact think my neighbours probably think I'm mad. I get out of the car, walk 3 steps, then have to stop and bend over in agony holding my head. 10 seconds later, slowly standing up, 3 steps further and back doubled over I go. I'm sure I look a sight! :giggle:

Can't take usual triptans for migraine at the moment, so basically have to wait for it to clear by itself. Spent yesterday on the sofa, today was at work, now back on the sofa in a dark room :doh: Any non-medicinal tips for getting rid of migraines? Tried cool compress on the head, tried something sweet, tried rosemary foot soak, tried sleep...

Muriel, ever since getting my head thumped into a windshield at 35 mph I stopped having the excruciationg migraines. I used to get the "silent" ones ("fractured halo", going blind in one or both eyes, external bilateral pressure) late in the afternoon at work the last ten years before I retired, and drinking hot, strong BLACK coffee worked best, but any caffeine did the trick. How about a nice stout cuppa gunpowder tea?