Hello from New Jersey

Lindy-Lou

Not only have I never built a doll house, I have never posted online anywhere at all! So please forgive me, if I don't know everything one is supposed to do or how one is supposed to maneuver these forums.

About me. Our 23-year-old son has moved out, and although I'm sorry my child-caring days are over, I feel as though I'm going into my second childhood! We have painted his room and earmarked it as sort of a craft, music, meditation, doll room, and now, doll house building site! I ordered the Willow, and my husband has promised to work with me. (I just hope he can keep the frustration and bad language at a minimum!)

I am a production editor at a medical book publisher---very, very stressful. I hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew! I just love dolls and miniatures and remember fondly my childhood doll house.

I'm going to need a lot of help---I'll be posting a lot!

Thanks in advance!

Lindy-Lou

Hi Lindy-Lou! So far, so good! You are in the right place and made a first post! :p

This is a great place for advice, inspiration and friendship. I'm sure you will like it! Looking forward to hearing about and seeing your progress on the Willow. It's a great house!

Welcome!

Welcome to our "little" forum family, Linda. We look forward to watching you build your Willow (HINT, hint,we lurv our eye-candy here!). We were all newbs at one time or another, so do feel free to ask questions; there are NO "stupid" ones unless you don't ask them; even questions that have been asked before sometimes elicit new answers we can ALL learn from. We're glad you're here.

Hello Lindy-Lou! I'm new too! I just finished my first dollhouse in October and joined Greenleaf a couple of days ago. I have always liked the Willow and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. I have a very stressful job as well, but when the weekend rolls around, I can get lost for hours in my dollhouse room. It is a stress reliever for me! I just wish I had started this wonderful hobby long ago! Take care and welcome!

Diana

HI LINDA AND WELCOME. I AM ALSO BUILDING THE WILLOW. IT WASN'T TOO BAD UNTIL I GOT TO THE WINDOW TRIM. MINE MUST HAVE BEEN CUT WHEN THE BLADE WAS DULL. AND THERE'S SO MANY CRACKS IN THE WOOD IT'S HARD TO SAND THEM. I HOPE I'M NOT DISCOURAGING YOU. THE REST OF THE HOUSE IS GREAT. BUT WITH THESE DIE-CUT HOUSES IT'S NEVER EASY. ANYWAY, HAVE FUN, I KNOW YOU WILL ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF CREATING YOUR HOUSE. AND I'M SURE YOU'LL BE MAKING MANY MORE.

Hello Linda and :p

You certainly have come to the right place! I have only been here since early November, but already the help, encouragement, and advice on this board has been priceless! And the friendship here, even more so. :) When you feel you're in over your head, there is always someone to help you through and get to the next step.. You're going to LOVE IT!

Hello and Welcome to our familiy forum! We are a diverse group with diverse natures and hobbies. You should fit right in......and don't sweat the small stuff! We'll get you through your stresses!

Wolfie

Welcome to the group. BTW you did just great finding us and posting. I have been doing it for a while now and STILL have not figured out how to post a photo!

The Willow is agreat first house. Buy some sandpaper, take your time and ask question when you get stuck and it will come out perfectly.

Hello and Welcome!

Your first house can be very overwhelming at first. OMG! There are so many pieces!

This is what I have learned and I am passing it on to you and your Dh (dear husband).

After you have sat down with a nice tall drink and read the instructions a few times, get a X-acto knife , a pencil,a sharpie, some BIG ziploc bags, and the schematic sheet.

With the schematic sheet in hand write lightly on all the lil pieces what sheet they came from and maybe some short hand of what it is. Use your Sharpie to mark on the outside of the bags what you are going to put in them..(like one bag could be sheets 1-3 lil pieces). Also lightly mark the bigger pieces with the number sheet they came from. (there is a number on each sheet of wood so you can cross reference from the schematic)

Then sit with your hubby and work the lil pieces out of the sheets with the knife (be gentle with some so you dont break them) and put them in the corresponding ziplocs.

That way you will not lose pieces and you will know where they are when you get to a certain step.

If you dont like to use plastic bags, you can use paper lunch bags instead..just staple them shut.

IF you do accidentally break a piece, dont freak out. You can fix it with some glue, spackle and sandpaper.

Have fun with it!

Heidi

I do it a bit different from Heidi, I leave all the pieces on the wood sheets until I need them. I do put the sheets into numerical order so I can quickly find the one I want the parts from when I get to that place in the instructions. I also use a pencil to cross off the steps in the instructionsas I complete them, because I don't always follow the instructions in the order they are given, especially when I want to bash something. Do whatever seems simplest for you, there are many ways to approach kit-building.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Building dollhouses is a real stress reliever I have found. Enjoy yourself and don't stress if decorating ideas don't come right away...look at magazines, photos on line or even the dollhouses here in the gallery for ideas. I personally find the building part the quickest and easiest part of dollhouses...it's the committing to a particular look...wallpaper, exterior paint etc that i agonize over :p

Welcome!!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Building dollhouses is a real stress reliever I have found. Enjoy yourself and don't stress if decorating ideas don't come right away...look at magazines, photos on line or even the dollhouses here in the gallery for ideas. I personally find the building part the quickest and easiest part of dollhouses...it's the committing to a particular look...wallpaper, exterior paint etc that i agonize over :p

Welcome!!!!

Occasionally (or all the time, in my case) if you listen carefully the kit will tell you what it wants to become & how it wants to look, and then the fun is in finding things and getting them the way the kit wants them! The first time it happened to me was when I began to build the Glencroft; I thought it would make a lovely English cottage; it wanted to become a pub! Now it's just easier & less painful to do it the way the kit wants from the beginning.