first dollhouse blues

redneck princess

Sorry, just a little venting...having the first dollhouse blues. I finally started glueing the house together and doing interior trim as I go. Had a piece of trim break while sanding, attempting to glue it back together. Finding lots of imperfections in my building, will have to put lots of furniture in my house to hide them :) Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has been frustrated by their first (or any) house. I guess I just wanted it to be perfect, and have to not worry about the little things. Luckily there is no such thing as a dollhouse inspector :yikes:

Thanks for listening! Have a good night/day all.

Kathy, you're right -- it's a doll house. No need to worry about building inspectors! :yikes:

All of us have early houses with .... ummmm ... creative touches in the construction because of our inexperience. And because each house is different, we also have a few creative touches in our later houses. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder, and you'll be surprised how many people see nothing but perfection when they look at your house. Really! :yikes:

Be patient with the house and with yourself.

If something like the broken trim happens, take the time to glue it carefully (do it on a piece of waxed paper so it won't stick), give it enough time to dry, then sand and paint ... and you're good to go. It's all part of the process. Relax and go with the flow (as we said back in the day). :)

just wondering if anyone else has been frustrated by their first (or any) house.
As KathieB pointed out, it happens all the time. You can read about some of my frustrations in my team build blogs. Frustration is one of the mothers of invention (that's my story & I'm sticking to it).

Don't worry! Be Happy! You are doing fine. We've all had and still have frustrations at times in the building process. Go slow. I rushed through my very first house and it looked it. So I reworked it and it was fine after some "adjustments." You can do it! Don't give up! And remember the experience you get from the first helps you on the second, and so on......

Don't give up! Ever!!

Wolfie

When I used to decorate cakes, I realised that mistakes, or "boo-boos" are really just opportunities to get creative. The cakes that had unusual touches always looked the best. (Unusual touches - mistakes in disguise.)

Don't worry about the small stuff ... no pun intended ... just enjoy working with your mini muse. :)

"Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder! I think we're all way critical of our houses, and surprised when outsiders come and admire them and declare them "lovely", or "perfect", or other superlatives.

This is your hobby and supposed to be fun. Unless you're making the house "on commission", it's yours to play with, and turn out as it will. Stuff can always be hidden, imperfections can be turned around and made to be part of the character of the house.

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one would find fault with it."

A slogan that I heard way back in the 60's, and still have a poster somewhere around here, with that on it.. :)

We have all been there and you know what, most of the time no one notices. We are all so critical of our own work. Alot of my mistakes have taken me in new directions in the houses that I like better then what I had planned for it in the first place. It's how we learn. So don't be so hard on yourself. Just take a deep breath and relax. I can't wait to see pictures as I am sure it will look great. Teresa

I can't tell you the amount of Huh's?! and frustrations we go through with our 1st.

Fortunately, none of them look too bad and actually we are very impressed the the beauty of the Lily.

I think we are like proud, inexperienced parents.

Honestly, I'll bet in the end you'll love yours too! Flaws can add alot of character :congrats: That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

As Holly and other have said spackle covers a multitude of mistakes. So does baseboards, cornice trim and wallpaper. Take your time. Sand and fill when needed. Learn from everything you do. Mostly enjoy yourself. If you find you are enjoying yourself you will build more and get better with every house.

Last thing. Remember when you read the posts ans especially when you look at the gallery, some of us have been doing this for a long time. When you have a problem and think ewe can help ask before you glue!

Just for the fact that you are building your first house is AMAZING! Do you know how many poor neglected houses are sitting in their boxes in attics and basements right now? Someone had the idea but not the gumption to go forward with what you have set out to do!

So give yourself a real pat on the back for that one!!

All of us have made mistakes especially on our first houses. I threw away a perfectly good Pierce (i know that now) because I didnt have this forum to stop me from walking to the curb with it. She was a yard sale find and was put together with hot glue and it was a mess. I was so frustrated and had no idea what I was doing. But you have all of us to vent to and get answers from!

By the way, which house are you building? I dont remember which one you said you were doing.

Oh, Heidi!!! I would have taken your poor, pitiful Pierce off of your hands for you...

I would take it off my newbie hands now..LOL

That is one thing out of this whole odysessy that I wish I could take back.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement! I was trying to get too much done at once, and drove myself crazy (well crazier than I already am :) ). I decided to take a step back, take a deep breath, maybe work on some furniture, and then go back to the build. I get impatient sometimes, and that's not good in dollhouse building, that's for sure!

Heidi, in answer to your question, the house is the Whitney by I.I.C.C. (similar to the Allison by Artply)

I know I will love it in the end, and I will share pics (hopefully) soon.

Thank you all again! :unsure:

Good thing you decided to step back for a while to get back the joy of actually creating a mini home, and I am looking forward to you sharing eye candy pics!

Hugs

Kath....relax, it will be great!! You and I are WAY too critical of our own work...as Heidiii (did I get all the i's ?)put it so well, just the fact that we are doing this is amazing in itself..most of the dollhouses in this world have no home or never get built AT ALL!! When all is said and done, you can take a step back and feel very proud that you accomplished something special...then that next box will call your name, and the process will start again LOL Which one will it be by the way, trailer or mini village??...sry, couldn't resist!! :clap: Look at me...I should have been way farther on mine than I am, but the dh muse seems to be on vacation at the moment ;) , but I am determined to get it finished at some point!! If I don't, hubby will throw me out...if you find me on your doorstep with the Orchid in my arms, you'll know how THAT went!! Wouldn't Greg be happy, 2 nuts on his hands LOL

Anyway, we'll try to push each other (gently)...and all will get done. Maybe not perfectly, but when were we ever perfect :banana:

;)

Chris

• 1 month later...

I am building my first dollhouse and feel the exact same way! I have had some mishaps, but nothing too bad. But I am such a perfectionist that I focus on everything that is screwed up and ways to fix it that I end up driving myself crazy. There are ways to fix things and furniture and wallpapering will divert the eyes, if they even see the small imperfections. I understand though, because you know it's there you think everyone will see it! But it's most likely not going to be a big sore thumb, so in this case it's best to just give it a good try and keep your head up and stay positive, I am sure it will be beautiful!

tigerlily...you are building my favorite house! I'm getting it for Christmas, and can't wait to make it beautiful. Despite some of the pitfalls of the first (and probably every) house, I am enjoying this so much, and loving all the ideas I get from the forum. I have also learned a lot, and hoping to learn more in the process. I think the coolest thing that I have learned in all this, is that I actually can be creative...I never thought I was before, and even if it's not perfect, I can look at something and think that I actually MADE that. That is a great feeling!

Thank you all for all your encouragement! It really means a lot to me.

I most certainly have been frustrated by my dollhouses!!! With the exception of the Washinton, {a true angel) they've all given me a problem of one sort of another. AND, I do have a dh inspector, my sweet, husband!!! I've determined I'm not perfect, don't want to be, and my dollhouses are a part of me-so they don't need to be!!! lol I strive for GOOD ENOUGH- and am content with all my hard work.

I am really enjoying my Magnolia, it's just a beautiful house. I printed out a picture of it and put it on the wall above where I work on my house, it helps to keep me motivated as well as something to look off of. It is truly amazing how through all the hours of sanding can really bring out some great ideas to work with! I am surprised myself at the creativity that I have found in myself!

I have learned so much from building my first dollhouse, things that you must learn by just making mistakes. Its tough but just think how much you learned and can carry on to your next house!! :please:

Hang in there and good luck!

Just have fun with your house. If it is not perfect, think of all the things you will have learned for the next one. I did that with my first real house. The tiles behind the laundry tub were crooked, the new door for the bathroom didn't close right....So when I got my trophy house, I knew how to do all that stuff the right way, having done it the wrong way already. My very first dollhouse (found in the garbage by the way) taught me a lot. It is a haunted house now. Crooked stuff and broken stuff don't matter on it.

• 1 month later...

I am very new to the whole dollhouse building & forum blogging...but couldn't resist responding to this one. I do a lot of crocheting and knitting, when I do a mistake I tell myself that it makes this item an original! Even I, let alone someone else, will never make that item again with the same mistake. It helps me accept mistakes that I cannot fix or will take too long to fix (and generally I'm the only one who can see the mistake).