Hello from Chicago, Go Bears!

Hello everyone. My Husband and I are new to dollhouse building. We have built two house and rehabed two houses. We built the Arthur and the Westville kits and rehabed a Celerity Chalet.

We are currently tackling a Garfield that needed MUCH rehab work. The glue was hanging down the staircase like stalagtites in a cave. Glue gobbed everywhere! Thanks to my chisel knife, the extra gobbs of glue were removed flawlessly. Then my worst nightmare was true...they glued the secret tower roof down. All the windows were either missing or broken from the son that used it as a soldiers' fort. We did not realize that we needed to take it apart to access and decorate some rooms. So after many coats of primer on 25 year old untreated wood, we are finally able to get the actual paint on. The previous owners left the house built without painting or decorating it. This one will take a while. Of course we plan on upgrading the house. I have attached pictures of the house before we began our work.

Our daughter inspired us to begin this adventure in miniatures. We are having fun as a family! We are in the good old Windy City! But before anyone mentions the Cubs, we are White Sox fans but mostly Bears fans. The reining Superbowlchumps! LOL!

I have one question to anyone that has done the Garfield: The oval windows are missing the frames and windows. Should I make them into octagons to get framing or does anyone know where I can get oval framing?

Any advice is appreciated!

Rebecca, Chris and Payton

post-2412-1191631195_thumb.jpg

post-2412-1191631212_thumb.jpg

post-2412-1191631227_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forum. There are a few people here who have either already built or are in the process of building the Garfield. Someone should be able to answer your question about the windows.

I do know that you can purchase an upgraded set of windows and doors for the Garfield dollhouse.

Thanks for sharing photos - we love dollhouse pictures here.

Susanne

Welcome to the Neighborhood!!!

And Go Bears Yeah!!!! I know I live in Wisconsin but I am still a Chicagoan even though I moved here about 7 years ago!! I want the Bears to win!!

Okay..... The Oval windows are still available by contacting Greenleaf. The upgrade window set does NOT include the Oval ones. Where are you at in Chicago? I am about 15 Minutes from Great America (Right on the border of the 2 states :ohyeah: )!!

Welcome to our little family on the 'net, Rebecca. Tracy is your neighbor to the north!

You can get window upgrades or you can trace around the window openings, decide how wide you want the trims and draw that distance around your tracing and then you have a pattern to cut new ones on a scroll saw (I recommend 1/8" basswood) or you can use matboard and cut them out with a craft knife. You can use the "Search" button to see all the threads about replacement for the acetate window inserts.

Last year I tried to rehab a pitiful Storybook Cottage, I ended up doing cosmetic things to it & gave it to Toys for Tots. This year I got a mostly-built Laurel with a lot of things left off that was falling apart (why we beg people not to use hot glue!) and the doors were unusable & the windows shattered, so I wound up taking Poor Pitiful Pearl down to the kit pieces and starting over and making doors, window & trims from "scratch".

ASA you've made five posts you can share your pictures with us in an album in the Gallery..

GO, 'GATORS!

Rehabbing a Garfield has to be a huge challenge! She was hard enough to build from "scratch!"

I'm not gonna give you any help, though -- a BEARS fan??? I don't THINK so!! Go PACK!! :ohyeah:

Actually...I don't follow any sports teams... but you've already gotten great advice. The Greenleaf folks are very helpful and probably can provide new windows...but I did make a few for my Garfield when some broke, and it isn't all that hard, even if you have to cut them by hand.

Good luck! She's a beautiful house when she's done.

Welcome to the forum! You said you're new to dollhouse building - but it sounds like you have quite a lot of experience! Two built houses, two rehabbed - and a Garfield, no less! You have come to the right place. Lots of members to help and advise you. I don't have a big house - yet - but many here do.

Hello & Welcome.!!!

I have really enjoyed doing rehabs.! I just finsihed a few months ago a Heritage by Duracraft.! I really enjoyed rehabbing it.! I have a Pierce awaiting me to finish the Victorias Farmhouse.! The Pierce is also a Rehab. A wonderful Mini Friend gave me the Heritage & Pierce. I am on a tight budget so I am picking things up slowely for the Rehab on the Pierce.!

Kellee