Newbie Here...

xxbclxx

Hello everyone. I'm really glad I stumbled unto this website and forum. My name is Brent from North Carolina. I'm a novice to miniatures. Im very interested in building my miniature doll house. Wondering where someone like myself get started in building one?

Welcome, Brent! This is certainly the place to start on the road to ruin ... uhhh, obsession ... uhhh, a brand new hobby! :banana:

What kind of house do you have in mind? As you can see from browsing the galleries, there are tiny houses, middle-sized houses, and grand houses. There are houses sturdy enough for children to play with and museum-quality houses.

Everybody here started with his or her first house ... and we're delighted to share our collective experiences with you. As Havana Holly often points out, there's no such thing as a dumb question. :)

Welcome!

I would start with a small, inexpensive kit and see what you like. Greenleaf has some nice ones. Or you could check a Hobby Lobby if you have them in NC.

My first house was a little two room Ashley. No matter your tastes, you will find something to love! But be careful because it really is addictive.

Thank you for the warm greetings ladies. Well I was thinking of building a 2 to 3 floor miniature doll house with landscaping, some furnitures, lighting. As well I have other ideas, but will keep that a hush hush for now :-)

OOoohh ... sounds like a man with a Plan!

Don't be intimidated by the size or complexity. Several members here jumped right in with large houses at the get-go. So long as you keep in mind that there is no right or wrong way to do anything (other than maybe getting the electricity functional :) ), you'll sail right along.

Yeah, but I don't know where to start. LOL I don't want to build something too big.

The Greenleaf Orchid is a favorite build around here. Two stories, open to all kinds of interpretations. You can buy one at Hobby Lobby. They frequently offer a 40% off coupon, so you can get into the addiction ... uhhh, hobby rather inexpensively.

For something a little larger, you might look at the Greenleaf Pierce.

Oh heck, why not do what I did and just jump in (I had NO skills, NO prior building experience) and build a Garfield? A lovely grand lady of a house with lots of rooms, angles, dormers, gingerbread, and some real character-building episodes will be in your future! :)

Just make sure you put her in a room big enough to contain her, as she'll be a bear to move -- both weight and size when she's done. Mine graces my living room and is a real conversation starter when anyone comes...

Hi and :)! I'm assuming you checked out the kits at Greenleaf in order to find us, but if you haven't that is where I would start. See which one appeals to you and start there. Let us know what you decide.

:)

Welcome to the forum! If you haven't yet, click on the Greenleaf logo and go to their online store to see their houses.

Check out the blogs and gallery here for all sorts of inspiration.

One of our wonderful members, Darrell, put together a terrific lighting tutorial:

http://community.webshots.com/album/139274832GytFHn

As you begin, please keep us posted - any questions or problems you may have will no doubt be answered/solved by someone here. :)