to hot glue or not to hot glue.... thats the question

beckybell

I went shopping this week end to purchase some of the basics.... I bought Aileens' tacky glue... how ever the directions in the kit say to utilize a hot melt glue gun for the basic construction...... what is the best thing to use....

Also I found this really great doll house shop in Rhode Island.... I bought a REALLY great coupla and a brass weathervane for the top of my Willow....

I can tell this is an expensive hobby.... and my house hasn't even arrived yet...

Thanks

Becky

No, no NO HOT GLUE!!! The directions say to use it, but PLEASE don't. There are numerous threads here about this. I like to use yellow wood glue (like elmers) but you can use any one of several glue types. A lot of members use hot glue for shingles, but that's all. I will use a dab of hot glue to temp hold something if I can't use tape, but be careful as wood will splinter trying to pry the dab off.

Ditto to that. NO HOT GLUE.

I have NO idea why some kits suggest using that for the construction. It breaks down over time and causes gaps. Use the Aileen's tacky glue. That is GREAT for the construction and masking or duct tape makes a great clamp while it dries. You'll be very happy with the sturdiness this glue will yield.

I hot glued some of my first house, the only advantage was that i was able to pull it apart. I only use hot glue for shingles now, and wood glue or aleens or wellbond.

It can be expensive, But you will be suprised at how many things you can make.

jenn

Becky, if you're still waiting for your kit to arrive, why now read over the posts with supply lists and suggestions? Also the blogs contain a lot of useful information and techniques.

I also make a lot of the things I put into my houses. Actually I made everything I put into the Orchid I recently finished.

Also I found this really great doll house shop in Rhode Island.... I bought a REALLY great coupla and a brass weathervane for the top of my Willow....

Thanks

Becky

Hiya Becky!

I live in New London, CT. Where in Rhode Island did you find a great mini shop?? Do tell!

Yes this hobby can be expensive but after awhile you can learn to make alot of the things you want to cut down the costs.

No hot glue..hot glue bad..bad bad bad.

Carpenters and tacky glue good...very very good!

Hot glue is also dangerous. DH took the two mini glue guns to school for his students, so I hooked up the older, bigger gun yesterday. It gets a LOT hotter than the minis ... and I have some nice blisters on my thumb and forefinger to prove it. Ugh.

Since my first kits were Dura-Craft and I helped DH with a scratch-built dh before that I already had a bias towards carpenter's wood glue. Plus the fact I've never used a glue gun (I have one, I just don't seen to make the kinds of crafts that use one), it just seemed logical to go with the wood glue. Then I read people's horror stories of disintegrating dhs due to hot glue and I never looked back!

... white tacky glue has a bad habit of popping loose if "flexed"

On the other hand, if you think you may want to remodel somewhere down the line, that may be a good thing. :whistle:

Welcome Kate..

I got a mini neighbor!! WooHoo! Yeah! (well sort of) Rhode Island border is only 15 min away but I have had to drive over an hour to Central Falls to see in-laws so maybe close or maybe far!

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome....

I apologize if there are some things I don't do right, this is my first time on a forum like this even though I've been online for years.

The San Franciscan is my first house, bought in 1996 and STILL being worked on!! Not constantly, of course, but now that much of the Extremely Tedious parts are done and it is tape wired, I am really getting going. The one I have is one of the older ones (before the redesign to MDF), it was 1/8 inch plywood, a million pieces, all of which need to be sanded, painted, stained etc before assembly(In order to look the way I want it to). Very time-consuming. But now that it's coming together, so worth it!!

The Marquam Hill Mansion is the next project, but realistically, it'll probably be a good three years before I begin.

And good, I like the idea of the super strong glue. Carpenter's has been fine for the shingling and I don't plan to do any remodeling at this point, on this house at least!

Good to know you all!

Becky--

Welcome to the forum!! I am a new miniaturist, just like yourself. I am working on the Beacon Hill. I love it!!

Anyway. I know you have been told 20 times by now not to use hot glue. Just don't do what I did....I followed the instructions and used hot glue to build the main structure of my house (just the walls and floors). Then I found this forum where, like yourself, I heard from many people NOT to use hot glue because it warps over time. So after a LOOOONG time of getting a hair dryer to get the hot glue off my house and start over, I used wood glue to redo it. It was well worth the time and effort to do it again right. The wood glue I used sure did have a better grip, and my house is much sturdier because of it. Plus, I was surprised to see that once the hot glue got hot and then cooled again, it came off really easy. It seemed to me liek that's what it would do in the summer time.....and those smart folks were right all along.....the hot glue would warp over time with temperature changes and all. So I hope that you figure out NOT to use hot glue BEFORE you start on your house. Good luck!! Oh, and I hope to have my pictures up in my gallery soon. So please check it out if you get a chance!

--Betty

those smart folks were right all along
The voices of experience, Betty & Kate; or, "those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them." The building teams are working very hard to get those wonderful folks at Greenleaf to find some time to rewrite some sections of the instructions (like using carpenter's wood glue or tacky glue instead of hot glue for the structural build...).

• 1 month later...

Becky - Hi! I am also in Rhode Island.. What part of RI are you in?

Kate - Warwck has good shop called Dwyers. There is also one here in Newport. You could come visit me and check it out :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

I can see that this is an old topic, but I'll add to it anyway.

Today my mother and I were rummaging through boxes of old dollhouse furniture - some that we made and some that we had bought.

We came across a beautiful wooden organ that I had made (my first piece) from a kit almost 15 years ago.

But I had used hot glue...

I noticed that a foot pedal was breaking off, so I handed it to my mom to show her, and it literally fell apart as I handed it over. Every seam where the hot glue had been broke, and the hole thing fell in pieces to the floor.

Not only that, but the hot glue had discolored the wood and the stain around it.

I'm going to repair it with wood glue this time.