Greetings from Louisville

Nmissi

Hello, everyone! My name is Missi, and I'm from Louisville, KY. In the eighties, my grandmother built my dollhouse (duracraft farmhouse vh 600.) I've never built one myself, but I seem to keep adopting other people's unfinished houses. Yesterday, my mother came home with the standard duracraft farmhouse- 500? I think it is? Someone had built the shell, but left the inside unfinished. This will involve more than my usual (Paint, wallpaper, furnishings) so I came here for ideas and inspiration. It's lovely to meet everybody!

Welcome, Missi ... whatever your question, someone here will have an answer! And you'll quickly learn that there are sometimes several answers, so you can choose the one that suits the way you work. :)

:wave: , Missi (wow! another Melissa!) :welcome: to the forum and please share your finishing experiences with us. I recently finished my first rehab and gave it to Toys for Tots, it was frustrating (VERY! :ohyeah: :whack: ) because the partly built house came with opened kit box & when I initially went through it I saw several plastic bags full of bits of wood. When I actually got to work on the house all but two of the bags contained scraps and one bag had the parts of the kit to make three chairs and another bag held two parts of a window box & more scraps. The door was in another with unpainted interior trim and the exterior trim (including some cut & painted pieces of molding that were precut & fit nothing in the kit) was painted and scattered thoughout the box, some of it smashed into pieces.

When you make four more posts you can share your pictures with us. I strongly advise you to do this, lest Lynette & Anna sic the eyecandy cops on you! :cops:

When you make four more posts you can share your pictures with us. I strongly advise you to do this, lest Lynette & Anna sic the eyecandy cops on you! :ohyeah:

Who me send out the cops???? :welcome: Nah.... not that much, just perhaps a single copper to hunt down some eye candy, ooops... :wave:

Seriously, welcome Missi, I do envy you the ability of finding houses like that! And I AM looking forward seeing your progress with this, it is always so much fun seeing other peoples creativity at work :whack: ! And you will find lots and lots of helpfull hints and tips and advice around!

Mini-hugs

Hi, Melissa! Welcome to the forum! I think it's wonderful that you take in these orphaned houses - do you find new homes for them, or are you running out of space for them all? :welcome:

"do you find new homes for them, or are you running out of room? "

- Lol! A little bit of both. But I've always had too many dollhouses. First, someone gave me a Fisher Price A-frame when I was a toddler. Then Mom picked up a Tin Marx one when I was maybe five? Then my mamau built me a little plywood kithouse in the seventies. Then I fell in love with Tomy's Smaller Homes and "Santa" brought that. Then, I saw a dollhouse in a museum on a vacation trip and I had to have one of those, too. (Can you tell I was the only child and only grandchild?) So that's when Mamau built the BIG dollhouse. Lord, I have got to get some pictures posted online. I still have everything but the Smaller Homes- that got ruined in a flood. But I've got all the pieces, and the furniture in a bag, in case I ever come across one of the empty houses for sale cheaply.

Anyway, as an adult, I've bought myself the Barbie Dream House I didn't have in the eighties. I've picked up a couple other sixties era Barbie homes at yardsales. All that is out in the garage, taking up space. But I can't bring myself to part with them. Then when my sons started sniffing around MY Dollhouse, I rehabbed one I found at a flea market- just a big box of a house, someone had built it themselves out of heavy wood. I paid 20.00 for it, and ripped out the interior and started over. It was not well done, but the purpose was a home for assorted action figures. As they've since quit playing with it, I've thought about clearing it out and finding a way to mount it on his wall, to display their action figures in. My kids are like me; they don't want to get rid of ANYTHING even after they've quit playing with it.

About a year later, my goddaughter wanted a dollhouse, so I kept my eyes peeled until I found a half-constructed plywood kit at the Salvation Army. That one I painted, redecorated with dollar store and yardsale furniture and people, and presented to her on her eighth birthday. No lights or anything fancy, just paint, linoleum, carpet, etc. I did have to pull a lot of it apart, though. Whoever had started it actually put the kit together inside out!

What's funny is I have a tiny little ranch style home. So does my mother. And yet between us we fill them up with dolls and dollhouses. (As bad as the dollhouse-acquisition bug is? The Barbie bug is worse! The Barbies have taken over.) The new dollhouse is currently sitting on my mother's coffee table. We're planning to move it to the tv room and let it live there while we're rehabbing it.

Missi, I was having such fun reading about your houses & Barbies I forgot to ask if there are any mini stores in the Louisville area? Our first two long road trips found us going through Louisville and I love it! and I don't recall any mini shops.

Missi, I was having such fun reading about your houses & Barbies I forgot to ask if there are any mini stores in the Louisville area? Our first two long road trips found us going through Louisville and I love it! and I don't recall any mini shops.

Many shops seem to have closed down in the nineties, unfortunately. I haven't been there in ages, but there was a great dollhouse shop on Preston called "Classic Castles." I think it's still in business. Most of the other places to go have dollhouse minis as a small sideline among other hobby interests. CC is dollhouse-specific.