OMG I'm such a moron

caitejay

So I went downstairs this morning to put a second coat of stain on the first floor, and I did it outside because the basement smelled from last night's indoor staining. So I was very careful, carrying rags, washing the brush out completely.

And then I took the can of stain back into the basement to hammer the lid back on, and stain flew EVERYWHERE! Little droplets of dark red mahogany stain all over the white basement wall, all over my nice clean work table. Tinier droplets on the carpet (but the wall is much worse).

At least I can repaint the wall, but does anyone know how to get stain marks off of my arm?

Sorry but no I don't, but perhaps claimine them to be freckles might work, I mean the weather certain ly has been a bit warm and when the sun shows itself????

I hope someone will be able to give better advice, I am just know around here to sort of scrub like crazy until it goes away or the skin gets too irritated to continue the scrubbing.

And as for the walls, you might just go with the flow and add more "stain" to them, you know the one way you dip the paint brush in the can and then sort of whip it up and on the walls? I know it looks mighty good :music_band: as we did a whole room in my parents house like that, intentionally I might add LOL

Hugs

Caite: I feel your pain, I've done something very similar. But the worse I did was trying to stain my shingles using the 2 aluminum pan methods and had both my hands completely stained and realized I had a meeting the next day and would be shaking hands. I ended up scrubbing them with soap and water, putting on lotion waiting a little while and rescrubbing. I at least got enough off that only around the fingernails could you tell that I had been dyed the night before. LOL I also used some stuff like you would use with a facial, that is just a little abrasive (feels like sand sort of).

Good luck.

Peggi, that's one good reason for why I always wear plastic gloves! It's not so bad if you're a hermit, but if you have to go out in public it can be a little embarassing! :music_band:

Caite, it's a shame about the flying stain! Hope you get it out of the carpet . . . that's going to be the worst of it! :groupwave:

Well I've been scrubbing my arm and the stains have faded enough that I feel comfortable going out in public. I'm supposed to go to an antiques show wtih a friend today, and it's warm enough to wear short sleeves - I'm glad soap and water helps fade the stains, because I looked diseased before the first scrub!

:groupwave: Time :music_band:

Yup and maybe a lil turpintine.

Okay this is gonna sound really wrong but I have done it..Use Ajax powder with bleach. Put it right on the stain and scrub a good lather with a scrubby sponge. The bleach with lighten the color. My dd bleaches her hair and colors it with bright colors and that stuff stains like stain. I have been able to get most of it off this way.

I have asbestos skin so it doesnt effect me so dont do it if you have sensitive skin.

First repeat with me your not a moron!

You are a person who just decided to see how it would look on you, your walls and carpet. And umm well it got a little out of hand.

Sorry I couldnt resist but been there done that a few times hehe. and dont know if you got it out of the carpet yet but you might try dual action carpet cleaner I think it is. I will double check when I get home from work this afternoon. It took some old stains out of my living room.

Nonstaining Hugs,

Bec

If you are going to repaint the wall. be sure to touch up the spots with KILZ first. The carpet is probably a lost cause unless it is white, then you can use bleach. If it is a color maybe a permanant marker the same color will cover most if it. Whenever I hammer a lid shut (paint or stain or urethane) I always put an old towel over it first. Experience.

but does anyone know how to get stain marks off of my arm?

It will come off your arm in time...I've had a similar accident....twice

It will be sticky but keep washing it and in a couple days it will wear off LOL

Sorry to hear you got it all over! I splattered my wall, door, floor, linen closet, work table, carpet, me, toilet, sink vanity, mirror...it was pretty bad....

if you get a wet washcloth and wipe everything down as soon as it happens, it will come right off, but, once it starts to dry it's all over I'm afraid :cucumber:

Tried to attatch a pic but it won't let me for some reason :music_band:

It will get better with time!! :groupwave:

At least I can repaint the wall, but does anyone know how to get stain marks off of my arm?

Oh no, that's awful. Sounds like me when somehow my FULLLLLL bottle of modpodge fell on the floor, even though sealed all the way it popped open and I came in and saw half the bottle on the carpet. What a mess. I kept wiping it up until I got all the majority of it off and then just kept putting hot towels on it. Never could get it off totally but better than it was. The fibers are a bit stiff in that area.

Kat

I also had stain fly off the can while I was reclosing it. :doh:I did it in front of my moniter and I still have "provincial" colored speckles on the moniter. I love the idea of using a cloth over the can when you close it. Thanks for the suggestion!! :music_band:

When you guys use stain, what do you clean your brushes with? I'm shocked that only Heidi has mentioned Turpentine. It comes off the skin easily if you just dab with a bit of Turpentine and then wash with soap and water. I pour some into a pill bottle with a snap shut lid and keep that at the sink for all my stain cleanups as well as brushes. When it gets too dirty, I pour in fresh Turpentine.

Ditto, ouch and ouch! :groupwave:

well, i've never spilled anything. that certainly never has happened to me.

and i am lying. :music_band:

like the character in The Borrowers books, i am a Dreadful Spiller. there is one (1) carpet in my house, b/c i have allergies and b/c i spill things too often. part of the house has sisal floor covering and it is attractive, but is a monster to keep clean. i'm hoping to be rid of it some day.

Right: Here is some information from The National Trainng Center for Stone and Masonry Trades, a website i visit from time to time, for no particular reason that has anything to do with why i'd need to know how to clean spilled things.

it may be more information that you want, but what the heck. i hope it helps!

What to do about wood stain on carpet:

1.Clean area thoroughly with acetone and a clean white cloth. Continue to clean until no stain is viable on rag.

2.Prepare a poultice (SEE BELOW) with methylene chloride(Commercial Paint Stripper) and poultice powder. It may take several attempts to pull these difficult stains out. Good luck this is a tough one.

A poultice is an absorbent material applied to a surface to draw out a stain. It can be a powder, paper or a gel. The most common poultices in use today are powders. A number of powders are very absorbent and are ideal for stain removal. Some typical powders used in poultices are the following:

clays and fullers earth

talc

chalk( whiting)

sepiolite( hydrous magnesium silicate)

diatomaceous earth

methyl cellulose

flour

Clays and diatomaceous earth are usually the best. Do not use whiting or clays containing iron. When using acidic chemicals, the acids will react with the iron and may cause yellowing of certain stone surfaces. It is best to purchase poultice powder materials from a reputable suppliers of products for this purpose. Some typical paper poultices are:

cotton balls

paper towels

gauze pads

Paper poultices can be quite effective on mild stains. They are easier to apply than powder poultices and are also easier to remove.

Gel poultices are usually thick chemical gels that are designed to be applied to a stain with the use of powders or papers. They work effectively with certain stains.

When purchasing poultice materials ask if they contain stain removing chemicals or if they need chemicals added. Some powder and gel poultices contain chemicals, and all you need to do is add water. Never mix additional chemicals with a poultice that contains its own chemical formulation.

Turpentine is great for oil based stains or paints....

I only use water-based stains and paints...which wash off with hot water and Dawn detergent. I'm talking about washing off skin, and out of brushes. But I also now have a speckled shirt from being careless about closing a stain can without putting something over the top. Somebody said a cloth -- I use paper towels -- but the purpose is the same, to absorb splatters.

But getting off walls and rugs? Yikes. A problem for sure, particularly the rug.

does anyone know how to get stain marks off of my arm?

Turpentine on a rag will remove the stain and then immediately wash your hands & arms with warm water & soap to remove the turps; you may also want to rub on lotion. (wanna know how I know it works? hehehe) It will wear off. I stopped letting things like stain & paint bother me, I just tell people I'm painting/ staining/ whatever on my dollhouse and they smile & either go on with what they were doing or else start asking all sorts of questions about building & making miniatures.

I no longer use turpentine. There is another product that works just like turpentine, called turpenol. It doesn't have the harsh vapors and odor of the turpentine. I found out about it when I was doing some oil painting. You can find it in hardware departments as well as art supply stores.

I just use either a disposable brush or my favorite are the little sponge brushes.

No clean up necessary :doh:

I tried a "real" brush my very 1st time with stain and ruined it so learned that lesson real quick!!

I use gloves when I stain, but I have still managed to get stain on my hands while taking the gloves off. I just use soap and the warmest water I can stand. Most of it comes off with some good scrubbing, and the remaining will fade really fast.

I do all my staining, sanding and sealing out in the garage. It is a good thing that I do, because a few months back I had to post a thread here about how to get stain off of a garage floor. We ended up leaving the stain as a fond memory of my Beacon Hill's conception. :doh:

Stacey

I have a small house with no garage, or basement, or any sort of work space, so I'm doing all of my building smack dab in the middle of the livingroom. Third day on the job I spilled dark brown acrylic paint all over. It ruined all of the wallpaper I was going to put in the house, and a new real sized chair I had just re-apholstered. Luckily none hit the new carpet (I don't know how that managed to be true, but I thank my lucky stars daily). Perhaps I will lay a tarp or newspaper or something under my workspace before I break out the paints again. So, anyways, all this to say: don't feel like a moron. I don't know what that would make me. :doh:

Kathie is right! I have bottles of that in the house for Chels` oil painting.

And I wouldnt worry about any stares. It shows you are productive! It is your temporary building battle scars! If anyone asks tell them you are in the process of building a house! Dont have to say mini..hehe, let their mind wonder.