Ever Been Hesitant & Excited to Start a house

Peggi

I've opened my White Orchard, labelled all the parts and sorted them, dry fitted the main walls and now need to begin glueing. I even made a special trip to Hobby Lobby to pick up the glue Andrew recommended (I could not find it :( ) ended up buying some glue recommended for pvc pipe.

So here I am all set to put it all together and now I'm very hesitant. :) Can't fall back on wood putty to fix gaps, can't order extra sheets if I mess them up, torn between leaving it white and wallpapering and/or painting portions, therefore, I find it safer to do nothing. Don't suppose this has ever happened to any of you?

Part of my hesitancy is due to the fact that I'm thinking of making it a house for Snow White and the 7 dwarves and I've not received them yet. I won a bid on ebay for them and the lady selling them said the dwarves were approx. 3 inches tall, which if correct would be the right size, but I don't know how tall Snow White will be. If only the dwarves fit, then I may make this a half-way house for aging Disney characters. LOL

I don't really won't this to be "cute" in the sense for a child, but more of home where the color is from the characters. So any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Ok, I'll stop rambling now, but thought at least getting my thoughts in writing might help me move on with this beautiful house.

you know Peggi I am not intimidated by the WO but I know I do NOT want to muck it up. so I am waiting till I have everything for it to make it how I want it before starting, of course knowing how I want it is questionable at this moment. I do not want a copycat house and I know of 2 peoples on the forum who has voiced my plan :w00t:

I do have my occupant... and a box of goodies destined to be a part of the WO

I look forward to seeeing yours become!

Happy Building

nutti :):(

Peggi, if it makes you feel any better I didn't buy a white orchid because it intimidated me. I also have enough houses to work on and my dh wants me to work on them before getting more, but I think I would be hestitant to start as well. I love the ideas you have for it. I would wait and see if Snow White is the right size or not and then take it from there. You could also do it as a house just for the dwarves since Snow White married the Prince and have her visit there.

Hi Peggy ... I'm sharing your feelings somewhat, but I don't think it's intimidation, more like uncertainty. I'm with Lynette ... I want to have everything in hand and a clear vision before I dive in.

I have a really wonky old-lady angel and 5 dwarfish little characters who will inhabit the house. I'm thinking they would live in a mushroom, one with a milky white sturdy stem and a red cap with white polka dots. A very Old World mushroom. :)

That would mean the inside would stay all white, but the outside may have some shading at the bottom, and the added on bits, like porch and window trims, may have some color. I'm hung up on how to make the roof look like a rounded mushroom cap and what kind of furniture they would have.

And since the little dwarves are closer to half scale, how will I have to remodel the inside to make it dwarf accessible? A little balcony inside the living room with little curved steps?

I'm having more fun with the planning than ought to be allowed by law, and I'm not concerned that it will take a while to get to the actual building. :(

The "angel" is about 6" tall, the dwarves about 3.5" tall.

Edited by KathieB

therefore, I find it safer to do nothing. Don't suppose this has ever happened to any of you?

Yep, it happens to me a lot. When it does, I put the house in dry fit on the table and sit and stare at it for awhile. I'll take out each piece and get to know it, then make sure I have it set in my mind about how it goes on the house. I also take pictures of assemblies that I might find difficult later on so I can look back at the dry fit. I take a lot of notes and then sequence my building so I do it all in order. Once I've done all that, then I take it apart and start to build it with more confidence. It sounds tedious, but I really enjoy the planning process of a house and I think all the pre-building previews I do make the actual building go much smoother.

You're going to rock on this house Peggi. You're a marvelous and talented builder and it's going to be a fairy tale come true when you're done.

Deb

hi,

i sure can relate what you're talking about. i get stuck in indecision and find it hard to get any momentum, particularly when a project matters or the margin of error seems narrow.

so, here are some ideas.

your work on the Lily is really, really gorgeous.

you've got loads of talent. there is no doubt that you can do this project.

a suggestion: as an alternative to what's coming in the mail, there are Snow White & 7 Dwarfs candy molds for auction on eBay. those might be right sizes ?

the auction # is 330069764964, and price is modest. if the size isn't right for the White Orchid inhabitants, maybe the molds might be useful for the decor, somehow.

when you're ready to take another step, you'll do it. and then you'll take the next ... and off to work you'll go.

Hi, HO! and best wishes from Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy and Bashful,

Don't be intimidated Peggi! Your houses are always so wonderful! I love the theme you have in mind. I know for sure if you could get that Lily done as wonderfully as you did, you can do ANY houses :o The Lily was a challenge for me.

I find it safer to do nothing.

Yup, I'm capable of freezing for months.

I'd say that doing a quick, easy project helps, except that I have a lot of unfinished quick, easy projects as a result of this philosophy -- to go with my difficult, long projects.

You're a much more talented builder than I am, though -- you're not going to muck anything up.

I have my white orchid built. I have the base made. I have the landscaping made. I had the furniture. Bought different furniture. Bought lights. Changed mind about interior. Now it sits on a table next to the couch blocking my view to the TV. Started another house. Pulled out another white orchid and started prep work. Stare at first white orchid several times a day. Move stuff around. I'm stuck too.

Honestly Peggi, building this house is a dream! I am almost finished with mine and it took no time at all! Have you seen my blog on it? also Teresa has a VERY useful blog on building as well :o i referred to hers ther entire time i was building.

This kit was a great vacation away from building the challenging Willowcrest for me. I Love your idea of ther snow white an the seven dwarfs cottage. Somday I plan on doing a sleeping beauty cottage :(

I cant wait to sere what you do with it!

Yes, I know just what you mean. I seem to get overwhelmed - I either have too many ideas buzzing around in my head or none!

My White Orchid arrived today ( :( ), but it's staying in it's box, until I finish the wooden Orchid, I'm working on ............. probably :o

Wait for Snow White & see what she says to you :p

Good luck,

Jackie

I'm the same way. If Bec reads this, she can tell you that I waffled for about 2 weeks about how I'd decorate my shop for my wizard shop. Probably would have been even longer but inspiration hit lol. It's daunting to figure out colors and stuff for me. I'm much better at scenery :o.

Kat

Don't suppose this has ever happened to any of you?

All the time, dear heart! Take some of the more useless scraps from the kit and play with them with your PVC glue. Experiment. Dry-fit it and stare it down; you are a higher life form!

Peggi, don't be intimidated by this house just because it's made out of plastic! It really is a dream build! No sanding and the slots and tabs fit together like bread and butter (I only had to cut maybe one or two slots to make them a bit bigger). Oh, and this house fits together so nicely, you most likely won't have any gaps to fill!!

Take your time when punching out the pieces, even though they come out fairly easily. The only trouble I had was with some of the gingerbread trim, go slowly and you won't have any trouble. If you do, hey, it's just a dab of glue away from being mended (not like with wood)!

Also, check your glue on some scrap pieces . . . I'm wondering if the PVC glue might be a bit too harsh in that it might melt this material. I used Goop glue that said 'for plastic' on the label which I got at Ace Hardware.

I love your idea of Snow White and the 7-dwarfs! It will be awesome and remember . . . have fun!!

The 'Mice' received their first piece of furniture today! Here's a peek . . .

post-267-1167880711_thumb.jpg

Obviously they need some stools! :whistle:

Obviously they need some stools! :whistle:

Or some stilts!

The chest is gorgeous. Your vision of color-by-furnishings is going to look sooooooooooooo good! And the little mice are just perfect in this setting. :D

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. Oh don't worry, I will tackle it, I think it is only got to me cause I couldn't find the recommended glue, and the Goop Glue I had tried on sample pieces came apart. I've now tried the pvc and it is holding the scrap pieces pretty good, but since I have decided to wait until my dwarfs get here to see if they will fit in my "idea" the way I want them to, by then I'll know if the pvc glue is to harsh.

This is a beautiful house and the punching out and dry fit went faster than I expected. Just waiting for the dwarfs is causing me to much time to think about all the ways I could mess it up. That could be a good thing, cause now I will have it all figured out before the first glue drop hits it. :whistle:

Teresa, I love your three blind mice, if my becomes the half way house for fairy tale folks our characters will have to visit some time. :D

KathieB, I adore your dwarf like figures and angel. They are to cute.

a dab of glue away from being mended (not like with wood)!
Huh? I have not yet the piece of wood, especially 1/8" plywood, that can't be made good as new with just a touch of Probond and an overnight in clamps!

the PVC glue might be a bit too harsh in that it might melt this material.

Melting the plastic is what's needed to get the pieces to adhere & bond. Testing on kit scraps is how we check for "harshness", although I expect using a small, cheap hobby brush like Testor's will give control to limit how much goes on. Ever lay a piece of polystyrene sprue on a few drops of Testor's? makes a lovely puddle of stuff to "bash" a kit with.

Peggi, I know exactly what you mean. I agree with everyone that you certainly don't need to worry, you'll do a wonderful job! I feel a little like a cheater, because by the time I'm ready to tackle my WO, I will have a lot of blogs to consult first - I will learn from others' trials and errors! :lol:

I'm the same way. If Bec reads this, she can tell you that I waffled for about 2 weeks about how I'd decorate my shop for my wizard shop. Probably would have been even longer but inspiration hit lol. It's daunting to figure out colors and stuff for me. I'm much better at scenery :music_band: .

Kat

Yes I am reading this and we both waffled hehe. I do have a bit of what ifs when I first open the box. Right now I am staring at the houseboat box. Think part of my problem is that I dont really know what I want it to look like when done and that is for most any project I do. Then I usually just dive in.

Bec

I was like that with the first kit I ever built. Since then they announce loud & clear what they want me to do with them.

That is just how it has been for me as well, which is why my poor Chantilly still is unfinished. She is sitting there rather (im-)patiently allowing me to collect things for her interior and is just a bit miffed at me when I dive into a new project instead of finishing her....

I know you will make a gorgeous house and I like the idea of a Snow White setting, anxiously awaiting the arrival then :doh:

Hugs

My Snow White and Dwarfs arrived today and they are the perfect size :doh::D They will fit perfect and they look so cute. Inspired me so much, I've changed my plans a tad will now paint some of the outside trim--not much just some accent.

In fact I'm waiting for some of the paint to dry and then I can actually start assembly.

I'll share pics of Snow White and Dwarfs later when I get the camera out.