hardwood flooring

woodinville guy

I had to send a picture of my progress of the flooring I'm putting into the house (magnolia). I'm using coffee stir sticks which are thinner and longer than craft sticks from starbucks. "Yes I got them with their permission" I took some pictures of the house and I have to admit, it is really looking like a real hardwood floor installation. It is taking me longer to do it than it took me to floor my real house....

I still need to finish the living room, fill the seems with a slurry of wood filler and wate, sand the floor, stain it, and finish it. But.... That is the easy part. What do you guys think of the floor so far?

The full gallery is at: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/...lLuPCo?start=12

-Dave

post-494-1166138364_thumb.jpg

post-494-1166138441_thumb.jpg

post-494-1166138488_thumb.jpg

"Yes I got them with their permission"

<grinning> Now how did you know we were going to ask that? :thumb:

The floor looks great. You're doing an awesome job on this house!

Deb

It looks really nice! Did you see my hardwood floor?

Both of you are doing awesome jobs on the floors.

Uppitycats, is your floor individual sticks? Or is it scored and stained?

How exactly does one get Starbucks to donate to one's dollhouse? Just ask? Or do you have to know someone? I was planning on just asking my coffee friends to grab an extra each time they (which could get me a lot of sticks quickly because they are all hopelessly addicted).

The floor looks amazing!

fill the seems with a slurry of wood filler and wate

What you COULD do is save sawdust from your workshop (my lathe is a wonderful source) and mix it with a little white glue & some of the stain you're going to use on your floor and after you've stained your floor use the sawdust mixture (you can thin it with water, if you like) to fill in any seams.

How exactly does one get Starbucks to donate to one's dollhouse? Just ask? Or do you have to know someone? I was planning on just asking my coffee friends to grab an extra each time they (which could get me a lot of sticks quickly because they are all hopelessly addicted).

The floor looks amazing!

I live in Seattle so let's just say I'm a "regular" there :-) I just asked the manager if I could buy some and since I was there a bunch and I usually buy some coffee beans as well, they just game me a bunch of handfuls into a bag for me (probably about 500). They aren't supposed to sell them so you'll need to talk to the manager or supervisor.

-Dave

Wonderful job Dave. And don't worry, havanaholly is just kidding about the glue/sawdust. Looks great.

I did mine on a false floor (at the advice of some here and other reasons) so I could lift it out and sand it.

Love the way you've staggered your ends.

Cheers

Glen

Dave, I just looked in your album and am very impressed with your house over all. Your floor is truly awesome, especially considering what a challenge it must have been to work around those stairs. Phew!

havanaholly is just kidding about the glue/sawdust

Actually Glen's just jealous because he didn't think of it.

The sawdust, glue & stain make a far superior filler to wood putty (actually it's do-it-yourself wood filler) that matches your wood & sands far smoother than wood putty.