Advice please!! Could this be a sink??

PepperJoAz

I was given this kit by a co-worker, and I decided to build it today so I can show her before we're off work for the summer.  

In the process of making it, the idea occurred to me to bash it a little - but my father-in-law was not a fan of the idea. so I thought I'd ask for advice / opinions. 

My idea is to cut a hole in the top where the long middle drawer is to use a sink opening.  I would either keep it flat and have a very shallow sink, or use a small piece of wood to create a little height on top to make the sink deeper ( I included a picture of the middle drawer on top, to give an idea of a deeper sink).  

Either way, I'll make that long drawer non-operational, but keep the other doors and drawers.  

So, what do you think?  Bash with a shallow sink, bash with a deep sink, don't bash at all...???  

Thanks everyone!! 

post-63680-0-72596500-1430623205_thumb.j

post-63680-0-25739500-1430623218_thumb.j

post-63680-0-66417200-1430623245_thumb.j

post-63680-0-27371200-1430623254_thumb.j

• Like 1

That's a beautiful piece! If it were me I would put one of those sit on top sinks to stay higher and more to counter heights so the little dolls don't hurt there back standing at the wash basin lol.

Or you could turn it upside down trace the top then use a scroll saw and cut out a top kinda like you mentioned and cut sink out but use thick enough wood that it would be more in scale to counter height.

Either way that is going to be elegant in a bathroom! Or even a shabby chic kitchen! Love it!

Looks like a great idea to me too. Nice gift from your friend!!

The only other thing you might have to do for additional bashing is to snip a bit off the legs to lower the unit. Opposite of what Cheryl was saying above. Often a RL buffet is quite tall (to me anyways).

It's hard to tell from the picture but you'd want to measure a mini person to it to find out if it would be too tall (or too short) for the mini person to reach into the sink.

I only think of these things because I'm exceptionally short in RL and most counters in the world are up to my armpits and most cupboards are out of my reach!! I have little stools in every room of the house to reach normal items. Not handy most times. tee hee hee

• Like 2

You could use the single serving butter packets for double sinks or the single-serve jelly or syrup packet for a single ink.  I think I would put a shelf underneath, maybe 2/3 the distance to the floor.

• Like 1

Are you thinking bathroom or kitchen sink? The spindly legs kind of bother me. Even putting a shelf underneath still makes it look a bit delicate for a kitchen. I can see it more as a bathroom vanity. I like the idea of a basin sitting on top of the unit -- very modern. The unit in this photo isn't the same period but shows shorter legs. Selkie's advice to check the height is spot on.

bathroom-decoration-vanity-cabinets.jpg

Also, have you thought about using polyclay to make an all-in-one sink and counter surface? Or a sample of floor tile in a marble pattern? With the edges sanded round, it makes a very believable and in-scale slap of marble.

Silkroad-Excluisve-62-inch-Natural-Stone

• Like 1

Are you thinking bathroom or kitchen sink? The spindly legs kind of bother me. Even putting a shelf underneath still makes it look a bit delicate for a kitchen. I can see it more as a bathroom vanity. I like the idea of a basin sitting on top of the unit -- very modern. The unit in this photo isn't the same period but shows shorter legs. Selkie's advice to check the height is spot on.

bathroom-decoration-vanity-cabinets.jpg

Also, have you thought about using polyclay to make an all-in-one sink and counter surface? Or a sample of floor tile in a marble pattern? With the edges sanded round, it makes a very believable and in-scale slap of marble.

Silkroad-Excluisve-62-inch-Natural-Stone

That is so nice! Now I want to make one!

I like the sink idea with the appropriate proportions as outlined above but I also like the idea of a colorful chalk paint like finish and use it as a focal point in a living room/study... with a unique finish could be an inspiration piece for an entire little cottage.

• Like 1

What a great piece,  if it were me and I had no other choices that would

fit what I was looking for then I would do it.....gonna be a really nice sink...good luck

You could use the single serving butter packets for double sinks or the single-serve jelly or syrup packet for a single ink.  I think I would put a shelf underneath, maybe 2/3 the distance to the floor.

Never thought of adding a shelf....could be a good idea!!   

I also like the idea someone else mentioned of making the legs a bit shorter.  So many options!!  

I was thinking of this for the kitchen, but the bathroom idea is also intriguing... happily I don't have to make any of these decisions today....let everything rattle around a little longer and figure out which idea sticks around the longest!! 

Thanks for all the input, everyone!!  I really appreciate it!!