3d printed furniture hinges

steiconi

5 hours ago, steiconi said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  3d printing does decorative really well; I'm looking for sturdy, realistic, functional hinges.

Many,many years ago a member of Small Stuff Digest (Dr Bob) posted a tutorial for making barrel hinges;  meanwhile, here's another member's tip for using those incredibly horrible itty brass hinges from HBS:

"Hinges: Position first side of the hinge in the usual way and glue in place using a small amount of gel superglue (CA glue), making sure that you keep it away from the hinge join.  With a very fine drill, make pilot holes for the nails through the holes in the hinge.  Pick up a nail with forceps and dip it into the superglue and insert it into the hole, pushing firmly into place.  Repeat with the other nails, and allow to dry.  Then, using a needle file or something similar, file off the domed tops of the nails so there is just a thin sliver of metal left. Repeat this whole procedure with the other half of the hinge. I have fixed furniture doors box lids and room doors in this way, and they have held in place well, and the doors have stayed shut.

Ronnie"

• Thanks 1

Good solution, Lee! Pin hinges are the most reliable option in miniature.

Maybe you could add decorative hinges to give the illusion of a real hinge? I don't think that cabinet needs it, but it might look good in some cases.

• Thanks 1