What's Your Favorite and Least Favorite Part?

Adallae

Good morning!

Well, it's week 3 of the shingling process, and I know it shouldn't have taken this long. This is the first part of building my dollhouse that I just can't get excited about, so I've been dragging my feet. I've got two new kits I'm just itching to start, but I'm determined to complete one before I start another.

I'm curious - what is your favorite and least favorite part of building a dollhouse? I thought my favorite part would be decorating, but I love constructing the shell, watching the house take shape. :queen: Obviously shingling is my least! :whistle:

I love building and decorating. but preparation is what i don't enjoy much, like sanding for example. Shingling is also tedious for me. I do love putting the house together myself and seeing it come to life.....decorating is cool to!

post-924-1160836062_thumb.jpg

Waiting...that's my least favorite part! I love seeing the shell go together but I want it to be strong so I glue and tape and wait..and wait. I can do other things while I wait, such as sanding and painting trim...I don't mind that part. I do love color and I like having everything prepared before putting the house together so you don't have to use a micro-mini paintbrush to avoid getting one color onto the adjacent area. Tho shingling is tedious, especially if there is a lot of roof, I do like the challenge of cutting those individual shingles at just the right angle so they butt up against the adjacent row with no spaces. Wallpapering is definitely not a favorite of mine! I love the look of baseboards and cornices but those angles drive me crazy!

My favorite part is putting the little channels or strips of wood on the edges of walls and floors after the interior work is done. That little touch says, "It's finished!" as far as paint, wallpaper, flooring, etc.

My least favorite is mitering the baseboards and crown molding.

I think sanding is my least favorite part. But the part I seem to always have trouble with is the roofs, it seems to take me awhile to figure out how to finish it.

I like the building and decorating.

I love to build the house!

I love finding all the parts and make them come together and look like a house.

but decorating is not my thing!

I actually like to do shingles but I often will use other roofing solutions to make the project move faster

nutti :whistle:

I love building it.. the whole process from beginning to end.

What I hate is the tedious things like painting the windows or painting trim.. I would rather have a tooth pulled!

I love building it.. the whole process from beginning to end.

What I hate is the tedious things like painting the windows or painting trim.. I would rather have a tooth pulled!

Ahh, could have been me writing this, but then I think I have a tie between the painting windows and trims and putting the hinges in the door....

Hugs

Good morning Everyone!

I am new to this, but so far my least favorite thing is the stairs.. My Little Ms. Fairfield stairs were a monster. Finally think I have a hold on the things tho.. Oh they were easy enough to put toghether..... but did they look good.... uh ..... not quite. So, I have stumbled and fumbled around with them until I finally decided, carpet runner, yep, cover the little monster up :whistle:

That aside, love building this house, it is relaxing and loads of fun. Now to break out the book on electrical wiring..... :teehee:

Karen

My favorite part of dollhouse building has got to be the planning...getting a picture in my mind of what I want the house to look like both inside and out....of course, my ideas are constantly changing so, what I end up with may be completely different from any original concepts I may have had....my least favorite thing is the wasted time waiting for paint to dry....stain to sink in, glue to take and set....when I am on a roll, nothing bugs me more than having to stop and wait!!!

My least favorite thing is having to stop and tend to real life things like cooking, work, cleaning the real house!. Also moving along on a house and then realizing that you don't have a certain supply to continue. Then having stop and go to the store and get it or ordering it online and waiting. :mada: :whistle:

I love everything else about building :queen:

My least favorite thing is having to stop and tend to real life things like cooking, work, cleaning the real house!. Also moving along on a house and then realizing that you don't have a certain supply to continue. Then having stop and go to the store and get it or ordering it online and waiting. :mada: :thumb:

I love everything else about building :D

Ohhhh, now this is also a very good mirroring post!!!! Me too detests that real life interferes with mini-ing and I would sooo like to have the time to stay mini-ing all day long all year ...

Hugs

My favorite part is putting it together or bashing :thumb: I Love bashing a house :D... least favorite part - Painting! I hate painting.. :) I don't know why but painting really frustrates me. I don't even mind putting the shingles on - that's actually kinda fun and relaxing but painting <sigh> I really feel lacking in paint skill. The other thing I really feel inferior about is adding furniture.

-David

I like to wallpaper and make curtains

I am still trying to drag myself into replaceing the part of the floor in the dilapidated old house I have owned for 2 years in a yard sale. So far I have repaired the roof only.

My son spray painted the roof in an olive green stone effect paint. It looks surprisingly good, now I need some more in a cream colour for the shellof the house, its not what I would normally use but this is an old banged up house and this covers up a lot of blemishes.

eventually it is going to be a pub, 'The Frog and Toad'

I call all my houses Frogpond Lane you see. :thumb:

My favorite part of dollhouse building has got to be the planning...getting a picture in my mind of what I want the house to look like both inside and out....of course, my ideas are constantly changing so, what I end up with may be completely different from any original concepts I may have had...

I have to agree with Irene on my favorite part, I couldn't have stated it better. As for my least favorite part - that would be setting up and cleaning up. (I don't currently have a dedicated space for working on dollhouses so everytime I work I have to unpack everything and pack it all back up when I'm done.)

I am new to this, but so far my least favorite thing is the stairs.. My Little Ms. Fairfield stairs were a monster. Finally think I have a hold on the things tho.. Oh they were easy enough to put toghether..... but did they look good.... uh ..... not quite. So, I have stumbled and fumbled around with them until I finally decided, carpet runner, yep, cover the little monster up

<grinning> Karen, you may be new to this, but you're far from a novice if you've discovered how to cover up an imperfection with a stair runner. :thumb: In fact, you've discovered one of the most important things about minis. There's nothing that can't be covered up with trim, spackle, a rug or a well placed dog.

My favorite part about building? Painting. No, wait, maybe it's wallpapering. On the other hand, I love the planning part, but the decorating is a part of the building for me and I adore doing that. I like shingling too because it's almost meditative. <cackling> Okay, so I love it all. I think that if there's one thing I don't especially care for, it would be sanding trim.

Oh!! I know the best part! It's that last line in all the Greenleaf/Corona instructions. If you don't know what I'm talking about right offhand, go look.

Deb

Electrification, definitely. I have a difficult time finding the lights I want, and I can't make them myself. They are often the last thing I choose, and because my tastes are so odd I never know what I will find until I have found it. There fore I room that might usually take a ceiling light gets a table lamp instead, stuff like that.

But you have to do your wiring EARLY in the construction process, so I am trying to figure where to place wire for lgihts that I have not yet purchased and am not even sure I can find. Then I need to worry about being able to decorate the way I want and still being able to hide the wires.

And of course there is the worry that the stupid tape wire won't crack or break, so the lights I scoured the earth to find will not work anyway. Grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeri