Am I Crazy?

armymom166

What's normal? And who's normal? I don't know a single "normal."

Now miniaturists, those I know! And they are collectors of all things miniatures, from kits, to building supplies, to trash treasure, to furnishings and accessories.

Yep, we furnish houses that are whispering to us (or yelling) in our minds, that haven't been built yet. We buy the paint and special doors and windows, and lights and set them aside in boxes. This is a mixed media hobby and we are constantly testing and exploring.

Ain't it great?! :D

When hubby says you're crazy, I suggest you walk into your garage/basement/attic and have a little look around. I'll bet you find RL building supplies and "stuff" for a repair job or project that's gonna be done "someday." :lol:

LOL!  Of course, THAT'S different.  At least that's what he keeps telling me.  

For sure, I agree with everything said above!!!

Just like with all my scrapbooking paper stashed everywhere, I started collecting those in 1997  already.  And every time I enable a new addict into any of my favourite hobbies, I tell them "if you see something that you like NOW, buy it NOW and you WILL find a way to use it someday because it is in your taste and your tastes never change that drastically. Buyer's regret at missing that special item is much, much worse than buyer's remorse".  

On the plus side, I now have oodles of lovely paper for walls, floors and roofs for my dollhouses!

A while back, I discovered a few items that totally scream "steampunk me baby, steampunk me NOW", :groucho: so I'm trying my best to oblige.  They sent me on a crazy quest, ending in the delivery of three kits that now demand to be bashed into something totally of out my league.  I've even had to draft in my husband to help with the really technical mechanical details.  The dollhouse gods provided a lot of equipment, furniture and even the dolls for the project - all within the space of 6 months, and from the most unlikely sources.  I am but their humble servant and have a sacred task to complete.

For all the hyper-creative people, this is "normal" - we hear, we think, we do.   :seehearspeak:

Whew, at least our voices incite creation and awe, not violence and fear - so my conscience is completely clear. 

• Like 4

I feel so much better after hearing from you guys! I was starting to worry just a little. Next time hubby rolls his eyes at another online purchase or utters the phrase "Don't you have enough dollhouse stuff?", I can tell him: a) I will never have enough (remodeling), and b) there are alot more like me out there (which will probably scare him a little, to tell the truth).  If that's not enough, I can always mention the 300 feet of trim that he bought that's never made it on the walls.   :D 

Now I think I will go browse through some more dollhouse websites... credit card in hand, of course!

• Like 4

If we want to get technical, I have a whole room, plus a couple of closets that are full of mini supplies just waiting to be used. Oh! And some kits under the bed too... You never know when you will need some shingles or paint. And I sure don't want to wait around to go shopping when I get an idea.

Jenny, you are right. Buy it when you see it. It might not be in the store when you need it. I have run into that problem with Fast Grab Glue, certain colors of paint and Model Air clay. It is really annoying to have to run to several stores to get the one thing that you really need.

<nodding in agreement>  That's why my studio is so full of stuff.  I keep stashes of just about anything and everything that I need so that when I get the urge to do something, I don't have to stop and run out for supplies.  And when I see hard to come by items, things that don't always get restocked often, or a good deal on something that I know I'll eventually use, I stock up while I can.  Then there's the stuff that I see and get inspired by because it'll make such a great <insert whatever it'll be great as> like the colored wire I found in the plant arrangement section of the craft department at walmart the other day.  The package has three shiny chrome colors of small gauge wire in red, blue, and purple.  Perfect for steampunk!!  I grabbed two packages and carefully tucked them into one of my steampunk supply cabinets to use later.  (Seriously---Casey, Debra, Lene and all other steampunkers----next time you're in wally world go look on the wall where they keep the floral stuff.  It's *perfect* for adding some bright jewel tones to the copper and brass.)

When it comes to building I have enough kits, wallpaper, shingles, flooring and wiring to last me for the rest of my life and then some.  That's coz Holly said that she can't die til she builds all her kits and it made perfect sense to me so I embraced the theory of "longevity by dollhouse building".  <chuckling>  I think it's one reason why we make such great friends here on the forum because we all know we're gonna be around for a loooooooooong, looooooooooooong time.  

Now I think I will go browse through some more dollhouse websites... credit card in hand, of course!

Attagirl!!!!   :thumb:

• Like 4

(Seriously---Casey, Debra, Lene and all other steampunkers----next time you're in wally world go look on the wall where they keep the floral stuff.  It's *perfect* for adding some bright jewel tones to the copper and brass.)

I *always* scan floral sections in every shop I go to.  Luckily, I have a large stash of coloured wire from years back (when it was a scrapbooking fad). I never liked the bulk on my layouts, so they ended up in pristine condition in my dollhouse stash.  It is a bulk pack with 10 different colours, if I remember correctly.  :woohoo:

Every treasure started with a humble hoarder, am I right or am I right?   :medieval:

• Like 1

I stood and looked at my wall of tubs full of miniature accessories, turned around and looked at the shelves, drawers, cupboards,the closet and under the tables, walked to the shop and looked at the boxes, benches, shelves, and drawers out there and decided I'm not ready to admit how many "supplies" I truly have.

The 12 step program begins with just the admission of a problem, not the severity of it, right?

Btw, I don't think any of us are crazy!!

We are well stocked, well prepared, enthusiastic miniaturists.

This is normal for us and to be considered an attribute that others should desire!!!

Eat your heart out non-creative people.

• Like 2

Oh no, we are all not crazy. Unless we all are? Haha

I do admit it's an Addiction, the collecting of things that I can see being in a future room, or become a sink, etc, and an Obsession, like when I see something and see it in my head - I know exactly how I want it turn out, and must figure out a way, like the ammo box needed to be an adobe room, or the lantern needed to be a christmas room. And it all comes together perfectly, since I live in the country I can just dig thru my stash and say "what!? That's perfect for my lantern, I forgot I had that!

What's funny is, I am really not a hoarder type in the real world, I can throw anything out with no problem, I like my space cleaned out and open. If we have two of something, one goes now, not I'll think about it later. But .... If I think it might have any sort of miniature possibilities it's not going anywhere, and may have a date with a hammer. I saved some christmas decor things I'm going to take apart as soon as all the holiday stuff ends.

• Like 2

I bought a new food drainer at the Dollar Tree a few days ago... For my kitchen. It is now part of a new mini project... If I have to, I am prepared to steal things from other parts of the house, that have nothing to do with miniatures. That IS being prepared! Now I have to go back and spend a dollar for another one!LOL

I'm 5 days into my current project and I haven't had to go to the store for anything. After 2 1/2 years I finally have everything I need close at hand. I was happy to tell my husband this project isn't costing anything. It's all leftover materials from other projects.

• Like 1

I thought that I had everything I need. Then I stopped at Dollar Tree this morning and bought 12 quarter inch sinks for a dollar! It was in the manicure dept. there was a card with a bottle of clear nail polish and six kinds of tiny rhinestones. I might even find a use for the rhinestones, but the important part was the little squares of plastic that they were packaged in. Shallow tops, nested in larger bottoms. Perfect sinks. And the clear nail Polish is good for stained glass windows of all sizes! What a deal!

• Like 2

Shhh - any "normal" people eavesdropping? :hidebhind: I once needed a garden window for a project, and I went shopping, ruler in hand, for ANYTHING that came in a square-edged plastic bubble-pack in the right size. I didn't care what was in it - I just wanted the packaging. Took me awhile, but I found it. I am rather proud to announce that I did resist the temptation to pick up something the right size, but costing about $30. Forget now what it was, but I really did not need it. I finally found the right item with something in it for only about $4.00. Not bad for a nice window!

I now save all undamaged packaging - have a special drawer for it. Well, almost all of it. You just never know when you're going to need that special window or sink or cabinet door - some time! :hehe:

• Like 1

I'm always on the lookout for round clamshell packaging that will work to hold acrylic water for ponds/pools in landscaping. I try to stay out of the technology and electronics department for just that reason. LOL!

• Like 1

C J and Deb, save yourself some money! There are a lot of products, especially in the children's section at Dollar Tree that are packaged in the hard plastic vacuum packs. I find "windows" there all the time.

• Like 1