Winter blues

Just One More

I haven't been on again in awhile. This winter is getting me down. I know we haven't had it quite as bad in Illinois as a lot of the country but when 30 degrees starts to sound warm you know it's cold. I had been just gunning the engine and backing over the snow in my driveway, and a couple of days ago I skidded over into the deeper snow and got stuck. It took my son and I almost an hour to dig the tires out. I'm 76 years old so this is not what I normally do. Anyway, we had to go get groceries so it had to be done. Otherwise I've stayed home watching TV and organizing all my stuff, minis and dolls. Being retired I don't have to deal with this weather going to work so I know I'm much better off than many people. I've worked a little on my Westville and am ready to wallpaper. Can't wait for Spring. :bear:

Me,too,Holly-I feel so bad for all of you that are getting blitzed! We honestly have had a yucky,miserable time here this winter,more than usual ("Sunny South"-HA!What a joke!),but I know it's nothing like the rest of you and I am keeping you in my prayers! Time heals all that ails us and it WILL be Spring some day soon! Just hang on and stay safe!

I'm with you, Pat; I can't wait for Spring. Amy, I was just looking at an Accu-Weather map, and I noticed that all of New Hampshire is in the 12-18 inches zone, as is northwest New Jersey. I am in central New Jersey, so we "only" got 6-12 inches, but more is expected tonight. My town is usually on the boarder of two snow zones. In other words, I sympathize with all of you.

I think I will buy something Spring for my dollhouse. That's the best coping mechanism I can think of, and I feel better already.

• Like 2

I am with Holly. It is hard to imagine how cold it is back east. Here in AZ we are going in the other direction on the thermometer. I am not looking forward to the 92 degrees temperature that is predicted for this Saturday. Everything is just crazy. If I could figure out how to send you all part of the record highs we are having here, I would gladly do it! Please stay home and keep warm if you can. I am sending warm thoughts your way.

• Like 1

Update from the Big Easy: Despite the ugly cold rain, magnolia trees all over the city are blooming. Their lovely magenta/pink/lavender blooms are a heartening sign of spring. :)

• Like 1

Winter is dragging on but this morning I had my moment of beauty.

I looked out my back door to see a beautiful pair of bright red cardinals sitting in one of our snow covered bushes. It was the perfect picture of beauty ... in spite of ....

• Like 3

I admit that snow is beautiful and during the first few hours it brings silence and serenity with it..........but all of that is highly overrated when you've had a winter like this one!! We spent half the winter in Denver with tons of snow and subzero temps and then we moved to Arizona where it's been picture perfect weather every day so my body is a little confused about what season it really is. LOL! Please don't shoot me for mentioning this, but yesterday I turned on the a/c when the temp got over 85 outside.

Deb

• Like 1

Can you just imagine how bad the flooding is going to be because of the high snow volumes? Yikes, anyone downstream from the big storms just might need to start prepping for the big thaw.

Also dreaming of Spring and trying to pull myself out of these winter doldrums. I can't seem to get motivated to do anything but sit with a blanket and stare out the window...waiting for some sign. I pulled some flower kits out today but after organizing them I just put them back away in the craft closet.

Best thing about winter: Winter vacation. It started today (at the end of school) in Massachusetts (where my new school is) and next Friday for NH. I should be able to spend time with the dh. Then, when we get back to school, there will be considerably more daylight... soon it will be spring!

Everyone together: "WE WILL GET THROUGH THIS." Of course, it's going to snow again tomorrow, but I am going to keep repeating my new mantra.

Deb, I didn't know that you are a desert rat now. Nice to know that I am not alone, but I am used to the heat. I have been in AZ since I was four. Didn't have the AC on, but the windows are open and the ceiling fan is going full blast. I definitely wouldn't make it through a winter like you all on the east coast and Midwest are going through. I would be a human Popsicle after just a couple of days!

• Like 1

Oh,Casey,in our cross country travels in my childhood,my family always went through Flagstaff,Arizona-6 times total in 11 years. We only stayed overnight in motels or 'flew' through the state,as my daddy was a stern Point A to Point B driver,but even so it was one of our favorite states to be in. It just sparkled,is how my child eyes saw it! :)

Kat, Flagstaff is way north. It is like a different state. Beautiful. Lots of pine trees and no cacti. It can be snowing up there and we can be in the 80s and 90s here.

I just saw some photos of a friend's place in upper New York and still can't imagine how she deals with almost two feet of snow and even deeper when the snow plows come through and throws another couple of feet to contend with in her driveway.

It is supposed to hit 90 here today. Hard to believe.

• Like 1

Deb, I didn't know that you are a desert rat now. Nice to know that I am not alone, but I am used to the heat. I have been in AZ since I was four.

Yep, we pulled in here on December 8th and I've been on Cloud 9 ever since! I'm an old desert rat come home where I belong. My family moved out here (to the Gila Valley at the base of the Chiricahua Mountains) when I was 3 months old. We left when I was in high school but I came back for a couple of years with my first husband and then moved to Colorado when I was 20. But as my father used to say, once you've been vaccinated with a cactus needle, you never get the desert out of your system. It didn't take long to make a convert of Bruce either! We love it in Maricopa. Even tho it's a bit of a commute for Bruce, we found a great community just outside of town where I can see the mountains and feel the desert all around me. Sitting out in the backyard watching the hummingbirds zip around while the lizards sun themselves on the back fence by the oleander bushes..............this is the happiest that I've ever been in my life.

Kat, Flagstaff is way north. It is like a different state. Beautiful. Lots of pine trees and no cacti. It can be snowing up there and we can be in the 80s and 90s here.

At the top of my list of things to do later this spring is taking Bruce up to Sedona and Oak Creek. We'll make a side trip to the Grand Canyon with a stop at Montezuma's Castle and Well either before or after tourist season but I can't wait to get back up to Oak Creek. I've always said it was my favorite place on earth.

Deb