Beacon Hill Builders: The Next Generation

Blondie

Thanks, Holly! Helpful advice as always.

I have been struggling to think of something appropriate for that porch (and perhaps the space above it), but hadn't come up with anything. I was thinking either redwood veneer (the random width planks) glued down utilizing a paper template or perhaps something that looks like slate. I'm a bit hesitant on the later as I don't want that porch floor to be dark when there is so much dark trim already. A faux cement is something that I had never considered. I'll have to do some searching to see what that would look like and how it would be done. I'm just a fumbling newbie, so I am a bit anxious when it comes to anything requiring real artistic skill.

I really must explore this forum more for inspiration. Its just such a big forum with such a long history that its a bit overwhelming! :dunce:

• Like 1

Thanks, Holly! Helpful advice as always.

...A faux cement is something that I had never considered. I'll have to do some searching to see what that would look like and how it would be done...

Spackle! I used in for the "stone block" bathroom floor in the pub.

I used the mortar from my bricks to cover my foam steps in my sweet shop. It looks great! I bet it would look great on the porch. The bricks didn't add much weight at all to my room box. I did mention that I might kill myself if I ever considered doing a whole house brick by brick like that, but the result was fantastic. I was pretty giddy. Lol

In less than a month we'll be back in New Orleans, where my BH has been patiently waiting for me. I do hope I can find more time to work on it than I did last winter, when it sat pretty much neglected. :(

I used the mortar from my bricks to cover my foam steps in my sweet shop. It looks great! I bet it would look great on the porch. The bricks didn't add much weight at all to my room box. I did mention that I might kill myself if I ever considered doing a whole house brick by brick like that, but the result was fantastic. I was pretty giddy. Lol

Wow, Kari! That build came out great. I love the floor you installed. Its super-complicated and whimsical at the same time.

On my build, I finished the mortaring my foundation and bay window stone a couple days back and am now back to staring at the front porch. After looking at over a thousand pictures of victorian porches, it appears that 99.9% of them have wood floors regardless of their foundations (which are also wood much of the time). I did run across one that was concrete and a few that were brick pavers, but I think I'm going to try a driftwood (off-white) stain on wood strips and see how that looks.

I purchased a bunch of random width strips that were 1/8" high, but that's just too thick for the porch. I just placed another order for 1/16" so I'll see how those look. I think I'm really close to finishing the exterior and am starting to think about the electrical work, painting / staining the furnishings I made, floors and wall covering. The fun appears to be never-ending. :)

-David

• 2 weeks later...

My mini has finally migrated back indoors :cheezy: where I'm wrapping up my front porch.

The 1/16" strips worked out well with 1/8" pieces being incorporated into the front steps. Instead of white stain, I decided to go with the same peacon stain used on some of the trim elsewhere. After two coats, its looking good and I'll post some pics in my gallery when I complete that. (More pics of the current state are already posted.)

I thought the day when my daughter would be able to enjoy it would never come, but it is with mixed feelings that I 'turn over the keys' to its owner. That said, there is still tons of work to be done on the interior.

So what comes next, mini-magicians?? Electric wiring?

-David

• Like 1

So what comes next, mini-magicians?? Electric wiring?

If the two-year-old is going to be playing with it, I'd hold off on electrifying for about 10 years. She may be the most delicate, careful keeper of the house and play in a ladylike way, but sooner or later one of her bull-in-a-china-shop young ruffian friends will get his or her hands on it.

My general rule of thumb is not to wire houses that will be played with by kids less than 10 years old.

• Like 1

That's a good point, Kathie. Even without the abussive friend variables, although I'd like to think that my little one is going to be gentle with it all the time, I suspect that will not be the case. :)

What about just getting the "rough-in electrical" in place? I would prefer to not rip out floors or wallpaper to wire it at a later point.

-David

• Like 1

You might add battery operated lights later on. No wiring necessary. Or you may run a strip of LED lights at the ceiling (hidden from view by a piece of strip wood) to light an entire room without wiring up individual lamps or chandeliers. Easy enough to hide wiring on the edges. No law says the lamps have to be turned on. :D

:hmm: Are you planning to make another doll house? Maybe do some fancy electrical work on the next one. By the time it's finished, your daughter will be older.

I started my first dollhouse, the BH, after Christmas in 2012. I was scared to death to start and got the support from all of you to just do it. Almost 2 years later I can say that I almost have the exterior done. I told myself I wouldn't start working on the interior until all of the exterior was complete.

I have enjoyed reading this forum off and on the entire time and you guys have helped and have shared such wonderful ideas the whole step of the way. Building the BH has been such therapy since Superstorm Sandy and I am so glad that I have her. I even got the 1.44 for Christmas last year and plan to get that one done as well.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for being there :)

• Like 1

.... I have enjoyed reading this forum off and on the entire time and you guys have helped and have shared such wonderful ideas the whole step of the way. Building the BH has been such therapy since Superstorm Sandy and I am so glad that I have her. I even got the 1.44 for Christmas last year and plan to get that one done as well. ......Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for being there :)

You are in good company that way - this place is known for it's friendliness, helpful ideas, support and care of all things miniature and the respective owners thereof.

I find some word of encouragement here everyday. As I said a few days ago, Thanks Greenleaf (aka Dean and crew) for providing such a wonderful place to share.

• Like 1

I'll get to see my BH in about ten days when we get back to New Orleans. Meanwhile, I spotted a few accessories at Hobby Builders Supply to bring to her as a peace offering for months of neglect. The one piece that caught my eye is a small map of France that clearly shows the department of Saone et Loire, home of Lloyd's ancestors. Also got a few laboratory beaker-type glassware items and a small lead safe that will either be hidden under the stairs (if I feel like doing more bashing on the already over-bashed stairway) or hauled up to the doctor's study on the top floor. Am eager to get back to work on her.

That's a good point, Kathie. Even without the abussive friend variables, although I'd like to think that my little one is going to be gentle with it all the time, I suspect that will not be the case. :)

What about just getting the "rough-in electrical" in place? I would prefer to not rip out floors or wallpaper to wire it at a later point.

-David

I think that is what I would do too. If you map where the wire are you can add the lights at any time.

My hogwarts project is never wrecked by Charlie, but nearly always messed up by other visiting boys. I did battery lights and I am constantly going thru and turning the lights off when we have play dates. Charlie is so careful, because he watched me make every little bit. Just last night there was yet another battle in the great hall between good and evil. All of my hand made food and tables were flung about. I had a cow when I saw it and the kids apologized. Boys will be boys I guess. I wouldn't have noticed if Charlie hadn't raised his voice 3 or 4 octaves when addressing it with them. I try to keep this in mind now that I'm bashing the BH. I'm trying to keep it as " play friendly" as possible. After all, what good is a banister if you can't slide down it.

• 4 months later...

I haven't given up on my Beacon Hill, even though it might seem like it! I plan to finish painting the outside and then go back to working on one room at a time, which keeps me from getting overwhelmed by the scale of the project. ;)

• Like 1

When I last left off, I was getting ready to work on the "top hat." Of course, then I packed up everything so I could move, so now I'm wondering if I'll be able to locate all of the different pieces of it. :lol: I'll have to start digging around soon.

I have searched and cannot find an answer, so here goes. I just put in the kitchen bay right side.

The next step says:

"Fit kitchen bay back (7), between kitchen bay right side and right wall. Be sure edge which meets the right wall is parallel with the edge of the bay opening in the right wall"

Huh? I've been fiddling around with it but can seem to see what they mean. Can someone explain it better?

Thanks

That area confused me once or twice myself.  There aren't many pictures in the directions of the kitchen side of the house.  My gallery has pictures of those areas while my build was in progress, so you can use that as a reference.  If you need something specific you don't see there, I'm happy to add a picture of it for you.

-David

I find I get very confused by the directions because I'm SO much more of a visual person! I understand the HUH? completely!! You're in good company. :cheers: I also have a lot of construction photos if you want to peek around. This doesn't mean I did any of it correctly though. :rofl:

I find piecing the parts together a few different ways helps me more than trying to read the instructions. ;)

• Like 2