A heartwarming Greenleaf Gazette edition

what2craftnow

Just read the Greenleaf Gazette edition in my email, and I have to say...

It made me smile,

It also made me cry.

Most of all, it made me so thankful and PROUD that I belong to a forum of such a diverse group of creative souls who genuinely care for and about each other, and each other's frailties, conditions and struggles to remain active and positive about life's endless up's and down's, and still maintain our mini passions.

Kudos and many mini hugs to Deb, Heidi and ALL Greenleafer's...for understanding, for sharing and for enriching ALL our lives simply by being YOU! ♥♥♥

• Like 4

Chris, thank you for this thread, this was another top notch Gazette, one that as always, as it inspires but also with the after thought and as you said greatness of all involved inthe creating of this magic, so a huge hugto all involved and part of this huuuuge family!

HUGS

I have always appreciated this place as a source of inspiration and comfort as we deal with both the chronic crap that we're so used to we only think about it on "bad" days, and the catastrophic stuff that blindsides us suddenly. Thank you, Deb.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. This is an issue that I've been debating about for quite awhile because it's not the normal newsletter about miniatures. This topic is so personal that I was afraid it would be perceived as negative or too intrusive but there was a little voice in the back of my head that kept saying there's a chance it would reach out to someone in need. I hope that it did. The second article was the hardest to write and I fear that I didn't communicate its purpose clearly, but if you've ever struggled with severe depression, it probably makes sense.

I haven't told many people this, but because of the overwhelming nature of the chronic crap my body throws at me on top of the effects of the strokes, I started seeing a therapist several months ago. I'd been drowning so deeply in despair that I had closed the door to the studio and hadn't worked on a single miniature for almost a year. One of the things I've learned is how hard it can be to break thru the mind and body numbing effects of depression and start creating again........and to keep that momentum going once it's started. If you've ever struggled with depression like that you know how hard it can be to take the first step and find your joy again. It's similar to overcoming the physical effects of chronic illness but there are subtle differences when it comes to beating back depression and using those steps to keep it there. I know that it works because I've been back in the studio building again......sometimes it takes small steps to get to even the tiniest of things.

The Greenleaf family has always been my biggest source of inspiration and motivation. We're such a close knit family that we don't hesitate to share all our ups and downs with one another. We literally hold each other's hands when it's needed...........we cry when the news is bad and cheer with it's good.......we encourage each other when things are uncertain.......we share information on how to cope and we come here with questions because there's a good chance that someone else has been thru it already. We pace the floor with one another while we wait for test results to come back and are always ready with a shoulder to cry on or a bottle of virtual champagne to celebrate. We're there for each other when one of us is caring for a loved one too, acting as an oasis where they can come and lay down the load for a little while. Sometimes even when we can't be strong for ourselves, we can be strong for someone else. And sometimes we know how to simply give in to some silliness and have a good, long laugh. I've never known a community with as much unconditional love for each other as we have here.

Our Gazette reader base is almost twice the number of members here so I couldn't say all of that in my articles but I said as much as I could. Here, where it's just us, I can say how very much I love you all and what a difference you've made in my life.......and the lives of others as well. I can't even count the times that I've seen someone here say that they couldn't have made it thru something without the love and support of our online family. Miniatures may be what brings us here, but love is what keeps us together.

Deb

• Like 5

I want to add my thanks to this... Seems it came out at just the right time for me. Had updated my status this last week about the dr thinking I had severe RA and that my bouts with Lyme disease in the past were the likely cause. This last Friday I was called back in for additional blood work as several levels came back "questionable"... Leading them to the thought I may have yet another auto-immune disease. Have had Diabetes since I was 8, and for me that's been my normal in comparison to so many others.

However, in being told I may have Lupus as well... There are so few up to date articles in regards to this disease and it's symptoms are so varied in its patients -- that I've been having a hard time adjusting my thoughts to it. I've already learned that if it's confirmed that's whats been causing so many of the problems/symptoms I've had for the last couple of years that the normal meds they prescribe to put it in remission will not be an option for me due to the Diabetes.

This issue Deb, was more appreciated than you will ever know -- and I think I can very easily and gladly join my thanks to so many others, whether voiced here or still silent -- we appreciate the thought and time that went into this!

• Like 1

That's exactly the side of depression you can't understand unless you've battled through it. I've been working through it on and off for the last 12 years, the last 6 without medication. I know i'm not fully back, but i'm making it through one day at a time, and something to focus on - such as a tiny house really does make all the difference in the world. There's something therapeutic about being able to create an environment that's exactly how you think it should be.

• Like 4

Deb, I had to read your articles three times because I kept having to get up and get more tissues! The tiny world is so therapeutic when life is crazy :) I've battled depression myself for a long time; your article was perfect! This forum helps to keep me going when things are rough; we all help each other, cheer for each other...it's awesome!

By the way, I finally found one of the Fiskars knives you talked about. I LOVE it!!! My dad saw it and thought it was for him, but I said,"Hands off, Mister!" :lol: I also now have a Dremel stylus on my birthday list :wub:

Hugs to all!

Seems we all share MANY sides of whatever dysfunctional or debilitating "somethings" that hinder or prevent us from our goals.

On a brighter note, while we may not always be able to 'complete' our goal, we can ALWAYS take pride in just TRYING. :bear:

This forum always provides the gentle nudge.....grateful for that, and sooo much more.

Thank you Deb! I reread it all again and then the posts here! I am just amazed by the wonderful people on this forum, those I have personally met, and those just from on-line contact. I suffer from Crohn's disease, and am going through a rough few months of trying to get it back into remission.

I am finally starting a new round of drugs after having been on prednisone for the past few months. I am sure many of you know what a steroid can do to your system and how it can stop you form working with miniatures (Oh the hand cramps!). I see the light at the end of the tunnel with the new drugs! But to read that so many others are also struggling with other ailments and are dealing and moving forward really gives me pause and know I will do it too!

Thank you again for the great Gazette! It was a highlight of my day. I am proud to be part of this forum!

Matt

• Like 2

Warm fuzzies and hugs for everyone! :flowers: This creative outlet and the miniature community around it have helped me in ways I could never have anticipated when I started. I'm so glad I found this community of warm, open, generous and talented people! :D

'Scuse me - gotta run get more tissues! :cry: Deb, you did a wonderful and thoughtful job on the Gazette this time. I sat down and read the whole thing at one sitting! I'm at a point right now where I can't work on minis because we're preparing to move; can't quite start packing them up yet, either. When I think of the friends and family I'm leaving behind here in WA I start to get pretty sad - but I'm cheered up again when I think of my Greenleaf family - you will all still be right here! This wonderful bunch of "crafty" and loving people will still be with me even after I move halfway across the country. :cheers:

I recently drove by the house that years ago had a garage sale, that had a dollhouse that I bought, that led me to an online search to figure out the brand of the dollhouse, that led me to the Greenleaf company, that led me to THIS WONDERFUL FORUM. Funny thing is, I still haven't done anything with that little dollhouse - it just sits on the end of my workbench waiting for me. It has definitely told me what it wants to be, and someday I will finish it. But finished or not, I am so glad I stopped to get that little house!

Deb, I can't thank you enough for the newsletter!!! You pretty much described my life with MS. I've accepted the physcial and cognitive issues, and the emotional part too. So many people feel it's somewhat taboo to talk about depression or anxiety. Yes, I suffer from both, who wouldn't get depressed about having a chronic disease that takes away so much? Medication helps, but I believe the reason I can now cope is my love of miniatures! Each build or project gives me a reason to keep going. The way you addressed the issue was outstanding! No shame or judgement, just acceptance.Thank You!

I'm sure many people will never know how much this forum means to me! It's my lifeline to a place where I "belong" Where I can go on days that I can't do much else. I have laughed, cried, celebrated and sympathized with members on here. I've even met several members in person, and they are awesome! I may not be on here every day, but I come visit as much as I can. I may not always comment or post, and sometimes I don't even sign in. It doesn't matter, I still belong .Like a family. Just like all the others on here that have health issues, and those who are blessed with being healthy.

It may take me 2 or 3 times longer to do things, or maybe I can't do some things very well. It doesn't matter, as long as I try. Some of the tips you gave were things I never thought of! Thank you for that too!

I feel blessed to have found something that has brought me such happiness, that fills my days that would otherwise be reminders of what I can't do anymore. I laughed at the kitchen timer tip, and the idea of just spending time putzing around if I have a bad day. So many times my husband askes what I did today, and all I have to do is smile. He knows that means I either spent most of the day with my minis, lost in my own little world, or on here visiting a looking at photos. He always asks what's new on Greenleaf, and is nice enough to listen as I tell him all about something awesome I saw or read on here. The most amazing people are on here, and I'm inspired on every visit!

Thank you for being here!

• Like 1

ok...pass the tissues.... :cry:

I will add my thanks to Deb for this wonderful newsletter! It was indeed, perfect timing. I have suffered from physical issues and depression for most of my life. My physical issues have yet to be given any sort of diagnosis- so at this point my orthopedic doc just calls it "chronic tendonitis". The unfortunate thing is that I grew up with a mother that had no tolerance or compassion for ailments, and then I married a man that is similar in many ways. He may be concerned, but he has no idea how to show it. Mostly he just shows annoyance at how my physical limitations have inconvenieced him. My physical issues and my marriage issues are tightly intertwined which has caused me times of deep depression over the years.

Deb- never be embarressed to admit that you need therapy! It took a dear friend to finally get me to go - - and now I've come to realize when I've reached a particularly low point and need help. You get medicine when you are sick, so going to therapy is medicine for the soul. I have been in one of those low points since this past fall....physical issues of the past year just turned my life upside down and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that this may be my fate for the rest of my life. And to make matters worse, my hip pain made it nearly impossible to use the stairs to get to my mini work room!

Working on my dollhouses has been my own therapy for the past 20+ years. When life was just too crazy, I'd slip away to my work area and "play" with my houses. And when my physical issues finally took away my first love and business of making wedding cakes, my dollhouses were there waiting for me and quickly became my new artistic outlet. But pain and depression put a halt to that as well....for just a little while. Thankfully I am little better now and back to minis, but still lack a partner to share my fears and concerns with. For that reason this forum has been a lifeline for me! Even if I don't complain online, hearing about others like me just makes me feel less alone in my struggles. Then reading your second article, Deb - it was like you were talking about me!! I totally understand! And I simply cannot express how it feels to have friends that truly "get it" - and "get" me!

I don't need to use this forum to do my complaining....but talking minis with friends that understand me - all of me- is priceless.

:hug:

Thank you.

• Like 1

This community has been such a huge inspiration for me creatively. Hearing about the limitation and obstacles so many of you face on a daily basis reminds me to be thankful for everything I have. While I am now healthy; I had a brief window into what it is to be diabetic (thank god that subsided after my pregnancy), among other things that forced me to spend weeks in bed. I don't pretend to really know what others face, but I do understand that long periods of pain translate into depression and despair pretty easily. I can also fully empathize with those that have trials in their lives, which may not necessarily be physical.

Having something in your life that equals an accomplishment is necessary for one's mental health.

You guys have made me cry too, but it's the kind of good crying that cleanses the spirit. You guys "get it" and that's a bond that's even stronger than glue. It's what holds us all together and I love each and every one of you.

BTW, I've decided that when I have problems with aphasia and losing my nouns, it's not brain fog........it's because the little hamster in my head fell asleep on the wheel again. I gotta figure out how to put some caffeine in his kibbles and I'll be all set! <gigglesnort>

Deb

• Like 1

Even though I sit here reading this topic, hands hurting, joints swollen from my rheumatoid arthritis, all because I scored my first floor on my house today, I have to smile. The articles this month were terrific. Really touched home for me. I so enjoy being able to come here and see everyone's work, accomlishments, and even failures. Helps me to know I'm not the only one. I have battled depression in the past, for years, but am now medication free. I still have days that are hard for me to get up and 'do ' anything, but having a hobby like this one with friends like I've made here makes even the bad days seem not quite so tough. Thanks for the articles - even though they may not have been what we usually see each time, they had a lot of meaning and touched many people including me.

Although I am lacking in any sort of physical issue, I took great comfort in this Gazette, too. Being a stay-at-home-mom seems like a walk in the park kind of job, but some days, it really just gets to me and I can get so lonely, and so sad. But I know a quick visit here and a chat with some friends I've made here, and my mood brightens. I'll never be able to properly explain that to anyone really, but that's the great thing about you guys. It doesn't need explaining. It is simply understood. I am so grateful to have found such a warm community of people to come to when everything around me seems so dark.

Thank you, Deb, for taking the time to express something that is not only in your heart, but clearly in the hearts of so many others here. : :console:

• Like 1